C/LW Yakov Trenin (2015, 55th, NSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Yakov Trenin is producing some good numbers at the moment, so it looked strange to me that there is no thread about him in the prospect section.

He is credited for some great pair of hands combined with a big body. Also has a reputation of a constant point producer back from his times at Russian midget hockey.

Really hope that guys who follow QMJHL and have seen him this season can share some more info about him.

Last edited:

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
He's gaining steam fast in draft rankings with most puting him in the 2nd round. Is Nikita Scherbak a good comparison. I haven't seen Trenin but like Scherbak he's got good hands, he's 6"2 and is Russian.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
He's gaining steam fast in draft rankings with most puting him in the 2nd round. Is Nikita Scherbak a good comparison. I haven't seen Trenin but like Scherbak he's got good hands, he's 6"2 and is Russian.

He's not as good at skating (Powerful but not as refined) but has better vision imo and is much more physical. Haven't seen him enough to really compare him to someone yet.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I've watched him a few times this year and really like what I see in him ... my favourite player to watch on the Olympiques this year. Good combination of size + effort + skill level. He broke his finger a couple of weeks ago, so he's out for a while. And it shows... the Olympiques won their first game after that injury, but are on a 5-game losing streak since (although now they are also missing their coach since Groulx is with the Canadian Junior Team for the upcoming tournament).

Craig Button had him as #38 on his November draft rankings; he slipped a bit to 44th on Craig's list this month.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I like Trenin.

He's big, is an intelligent player with a good blend of vision and hands. Hard-working as well.

Although it's not bad, needs to improve his speed.

Solid 2nd round pick prospect.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Trenin is named in the roster for the CHL Top prospects game :) By the way, does anyone know the timeline for his return from injury?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Looks like Trenin was moved to center position recently and is looking fine there: got 2+4 in the latest two games; 14+37 in 47 games total at the moment.

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
I saw Trenin over 15 times this year as I'm based in Gatineau. You can put him on the wing or at center and he'll do fine because of his smart. Great vision + playmaking. Skating seemed to have improved since start of season. Speed is fine, acceleration needs work. He seems to push with his heels instead of his toe. Stride has improve since start of season IMO. Physical and good defensively, coach Groulx uses him often on the PK, especially since being moved to center. Works hard and protect the puck well along the boards. What's impressive is how strong he is on his skates despite being listed under 180 lbs at this moment. He'll be scary when he'll be around 190 lbs or more if he can continue to improve skating as well. Not as good scorer as Sherbak but he has a good release. Often keeps his shots low which hits goalies pads and give rebounds. I love his creativity with the puck, often do some great behind the back passes on the rush which open up space for teammates. I've had him in the late 1st (28-30) to very early 2nd round (31-35) for a while. He will be around 34 or 35th spot in my March ranking. Already a #1 C/W as a 17 years old in the Q, really nice progression since start of the season, still raw but shaping up nicely.

GP 54 G 17 A 44 PTS 61 PIM 34 +/- 12

Dec 2, 2010
Nice summary above. I'd like to add I don't think I've seen him give up on a play. IQ is through the roof. The below avg skating can be fixed because he's already shown improvement. Big fan of him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Man his skating is ugly though.

Also never felt like he was the guy really driving the offense. He was there, one of those guys you hear their name called a lot...just never got the impression he was the guy orchestrating the whole thing.

I really don't know what he projects as at the next level. A Taylor Pyatt maybe? Just have a really hard time projecting him as anything more than a 3rd liner who should probably be a 2nd liner but just isn't a good enough skater/skilled enough to fit there. At best.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Watched Trenin up close again at the Olympiques playoff game last night versus Blainville-Broisbriand. What a great game he had. Made a nice play to cut into the net on the rush to score the opening goal (also had an assist on the game clinching goal), but the thing that really struck me was how tenacious and persistent he was on the defensive side of things. He had real jump, threw quite a few hits, and broke up a lot of plays on the forecheck, backcheck and penalty kill. I was particularly impressed by his use of his stick to intercept or interrupt plays all night.

He also played a ton last night. In particular, Gatineau had to kill off a 4 minutes high-stick in the last 7 minutes of the game and it looked as if Trenin was on the ice for almost all of it, only coming off when tired a couple times for something like 20 seconds each time. Must have played a good 3 of those 4 minutes.

He has gotten better each game I 've seen him this year. And it looks like he has picked up his game even more in the playoffs.

It wouldn't shock me if Trenin gets into the first round or goes early in the 2nd round of this year's draft.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
He took 219 faceoffs in playoffs, with 52,5% success, and next player on Gatineau took 134 faceoffs.

It seems like he's another C prospect and not a winger as he was listed at first. I believe he's in the running for late 1st round, but more likely to be picked in early 2nd round.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He took 219 faceoffs in playoffs, with 52,5% success, and next player on Gatineau took 134 faceoffs.

It seems like he's another C prospect and not a winger as he was listed at first. I believe he's in the running for late 1st round, but more likely to be picked in early 2nd round.

I don't think he has the footspeed to play centre at the next level.

Anyways here is the scouting report

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/16/2015-nhl-draft-profile-67-yakov-trenin/

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
Signed ELC with Nashville.

So is there some sort of loophole ala Dallas with Honka's ELC that would allow Trenin to play in the AHL this season? If not, I'm wondering what the benefits of signing him immediately are.

EDIT: And it looks like if the loophole isn't involved in this deal, then he wouldn't be able to play in the AHL until the 2017-18 season.

Last edited:

gela

Dec 26, 2013
Nashville
So is there some sort of loophole ala Dallas with Honka's ELC that would allow Trenin to play in the AHL this season? If not, I'm wondering what the benefits of signing him immediately are.

EDIT: And it looks like if the loophole isn't involved in this deal, then he wouldn't be able to play in the AHL until the 2017-18 season.

Our writers have said it's so that he can participate in the camps (I'm not familiar with those rules to verify). Saw him today in the prospect scrimmage and he was absolutely outstanding.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As some of you may know, I've been making shift by shift videos on 2015 draft prospects throughout the year. Basically it's a pretty unexciting (by purpose) video where I isolate every shift from a single game for a player, to give the viewers an objective view of his skills and style of play. I said right before the draft I would do at least one video on every team who drafted a player I didn't do a video on already. Out of the 45 prospects I made a video on, only Nashville, New York Rangers, and Chicago picked a player I didn't already do a video on.

Consequently, I chose to do a video on Trenin for the Nashville Predators. I was already hoping to do a video on him, but ran out of time before the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad