C/LW Lucas Van Vliet - US National U17 Team, USDP (2024 Draft)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Another part of the incoming Michigan St recruiting class, along with Austin Baker + Christian Humphreys. With some recent promotions to the U18 team, I believe he is now being deployed as a top 2 center for the U17 team. Has pretty solid production against USHL teams this year.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s the most interesting potential “riser” among the NTDP 2006 group.

He started out the year on the bottom lines or as the 13F. Looked like a guy who could be a Swiss Army knife style of forward with some upside. Then he kept improving and I think could go into next season as a top 6 player. Reminds me of a player like Cutter Gauthier with how he plays the game. Big, good skater, can handle the puck, can shoot it, and there’s some secondary playmaking/hockey sense. Let’s see how next season goes. Definitely think he’s on the first round radar and could absolutely blow up and be a very high pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's starting to pick it up. Had a slow start to the season because he was injured, and that had him down the line chart. He scored goals in two of the three international games.

This goal is Van Vliet. Retrieves the puck, nice skating, and rips the puck past the goalie.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had four goals and an assist on Wednesday. He's heating up. 6+2 in his last 8 games. The second and fourth goals were absolutely sick.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Started the season with 1+1, then went into a big slump with no points in 9 games including an injury and being demoted to 13F. Has 10+6=16 points in his last 17 games.

Gets no discussion, but he’s big, fast, good in puck battles, can stick handle, shoot it from distance, and play center or winger. Poor man’s Gauthier.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's absolutely cooking at the AAPG. Goal and assist so far nearly halfway through. First goal he shoots it by the goalie. Second goal he wins the face-off, maneuvers well on the right circle and shows good hands before throwing a nice pass over to the left circle. He should be moving up draft boards.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm usually impressed by his game even if his stats are somewhat pedestrian. I wouldn't be surprised to see his game take off post-NTDP like it did for guys like Terry, Thompson, etc. Not that it should be expected but he has another gear to hopefully unlock.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know if its hockey sense or effort, but I wish he was a little more consistent. Because he has so much potential. He looks like Cutter Gauthier a few shifts per game, and then he's invisible the rest.

He probably has as much potential as any forward on the 18's other than Hagens and Eiserman, but I think there are fair questions if he's better off at center or winger and he needs to learn to bring it every shift and game.

I would pick him second round. I like his potential. Easy top 6 NHL potential, but boom-bust.

Reactions: ghettoNancy

ghettoNancy

Feb 13, 2024
I went to pretty much all of the 5 nations tourney last week, and he really didn’t get the ice time to show much. He had 2 identical rush opportunities against Sweden and Finland that were impressive. He took the defender to the outside, then made a nice pass across the slot for two failed dunks. His ice time may pick up after that end of the game brawl vs Sweden.

showtimewilly

Dec 31, 2023
Skill wise and IQ this kid is incredible. Think Hagens and him are two most skilled players on the team. Although his production does not match the skill and talent he has shown. There are moments where he looks like an elite forward, moments where he is not. I think part of his problem is that it seems like his ice time is very limited, not sure as to why. He has next level talent and would seem like a guy that should be out there more. Once he fully finds his game, this kid is going to be an elite player.

ghettoNancy

Feb 13, 2024
He is not getting the ice time because team USA is trying to showcase their higher end players ahead of the NHL Draft(Plante, Eiserman etc.), in the more visible games. Such as the string of college games and the five nations tournament.

I think he’ll most likely get a bit more ice time on the back half of the season, just like last season for the U17s. If it will effect his stock is remain to be seen. He could have a more noticeable game in their next one against Muskegon. Team USA is strict on fighting, and the whole first line was in a brawl at the end of their last game.

Last edited:

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He is not getting the ice time because team USA is trying to showcase their higher end players ahead of the NHL Draft(Plante, Eiserman etc.), in the more visible games. Such as the string of college games and the five nations tournament.

I think he’ll most likely get a bit more ice time on the back half of the season, just like last season for the U17s. If it will effect his stock is remain to be seen. He could have a more noticeable game in their next one against Youngstown, as Team USA is strict on fighting, and the whole first line was in a brawl at the end of their last game.
NTDP for the most part roll lines. You could knock his quality of linemates - he's centered some combo of VanSaghi/Epperson/McMorrow/Pardue for most of the season. And he doesn't get much powerplay time. But even strength he's not playing much less than Hagens or Eiserman are. And for the record I think he's a much better prospect than mid tier guys like Plante and Humphreys are.

What I'm interested in is who get's promoted from the U17s and how the lines shake out. Say LVV centers Potter and McKinney rest of season.. that would be interesting to see how he plays with those guys.

I agree with others in this thread regarding Van Vliet. 1st round tools and I don't think he lacks hockey sense. If you're a team chasing upside, he's someone you should be looking into.

ghettoNancy

Feb 13, 2024
I would for the most part agree. He hardly got any ice time during that Sweden game it seemed like. I counted 3 short shifts each period. Maybe because of all the Sweden penalties. IDK

Also I noticed USA was using him a lot on the PK, and have shied away as of late.

Last edited:

ghettoNancy

Feb 13, 2024
LVV was absent in tonight’s game vs. Lincoln. In his place was LJ Mooney from the U17 squad. LJ had a great first call up with a goal, and a really nice apple on Stiga’s third period goal. I wonder if his compete level is just not there. I know he had a pretty quiet five nations.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
LVV was absent in tonight’s game vs. Lincoln. In his place was LJ Mooney from the U17 squad. LJ had a great first call up with a goal, and a really nice apple on Stiga’s third period goal. I wonder if his compete level is just not there. I know he had a pretty quiet five nations.
If he was replaced in the lineup they would’ve listed him as the 13F. Usually when a player is listed as a scratch they are injured or otherwise unavailable. Same thing is happening currently for Humphreys.

ghettoNancy

Feb 13, 2024
LVV was back in the line up tonight, mostly on a line centering Mooney and Plante. Had a shift or two where he looked a little lost, but other than that had a few nice chances and shifts. Not sure if he was injured, but glad to see him back in. Was good on the draw tonight. Mooney looked great again. Mooney seems to have chemistry with who ever he plays with. Hopefully USA run that line back tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad