C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Double deflection including the post, all planned of course.
I'd be very pleased as a Panthers fan that you got him. Not only his skills and swiss army knife type of all around game, but his leadership abilities.

There are many skilled players around, but to be able to carry your team when the stakes are high and everything is on the line is another thing.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
What? It's super common that a goalie doesn't react to a deflection. You're saying that as if he didn't react to the shot, but it's very likely the goalie was in fact saving the shot - then it deflected past him.

And what do you mean funny? Let me guess, you think I'm a Lundell hater or something, which is simply ridiculous. Deflection's a deflection.
Dude, the goalie did barely move lol

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
People give these U20 tournaments way too much value when it comes to individual players.

I remember 2015-16 when Puljujärvi won the tournament scoring and Rantanen was a passenger for most of the games.

This is the Post of the thread.

For better or worse the average fan uses this tournament as the only sample size necessary to pass judgment. The reason is for the vast majority of north American fans at least it represents a very high % of their live viewing of most of the prospects.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Great player at the tournament. But I finally understanded his position as a prospect. He has been the best on this tournament with Heinola. His leadership and his shooting and O-zone vision are all good. His two-way game is really good and overall super smart player.

He is mentally really good player. But the downside. He is not going to be ever that creative or explosive at the neutral zone. That his posession game can’t be up with the true elite 1st centers like Barkov or Matthews. If everything goes well I see Mikko Koivu with better shot and littlebit better offense overall.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Reminds me of somewhere along the lines of Saku or Mikko Koivu.

Very heady player who does all the little things to help your team win the game.

Great pick by Florida.

I thought for sure the Jets were going to take him because of their needs at C.

Reactions: LAKings88

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the outcome is Mikko Koivu then the Panthers have scored. Mikko in his prime was an awesome two way C, burdened by sub par linemates. Lundell has an uncanny resemblance to him. When an aging Eric Staal came to the Wild he had a resurgence, partly because Mikko took all the tough assignments, allowing him to focus more on offense. Imagine if Lundell does the same for Barkov and Huberdeau?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He has intangibles, but let's not compare him to one of the best 2-way centers of last 10 years.

Great pick by FLA though, he has that special gear you need.
That’s the point though: he could be that.

His defensive analytics in the Liiga are insane while being 4th in pts/2nd in goals before leaving. What makes the Toews comparison interesting to me is the leadership he has demonstrated here and in Finland (assistant captain at 18/temporary captain at 19): it’s great!

Reactions: The Sweetness

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If the outcome is Mikko Koivu then the Panthers have scored. Mikko in his prime was an awesome two way C, burdened by sub par linemates. Lundell has an uncanny resemblance to him. When an aging Eric Staal came to the Wild he had a resurgence, partly because Mikko took all the tough assignments, allowing him to focus more on offense. Imagine if Lundell does the same for Barkov and Huberdeau?
That’s the plan I think: having a great set of Finnish centers of Barky/Lundell/Borgstrom/Eetu Luo!

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Reminds me of somewhere along the lines of Saku or Mikko Koivu.

Very heady player who does all the little things to help your team win the game.

Great pick by Florida.

I thought for sure the Jets were going to take him because of their needs at C.

Lundell has a bit of a mean streak too. Something Finnish players usually dont have

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
It’s extremely unlikely Lundell is as good as M.Koivu defensively. I think he has a good chance to be better offensively but Koivu was a world class defensive C for a long time. It’s a longshot Lundell gets to that level, but we will see.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yeah prime Mikko behind Barkov would be scary for opposing teams

Lundell has higher offensive upside

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It’s extremely unlikely Lundell is as good as M.Koivu defensively. I think he has a good chance to be better offensively but Koivu was a world class defensive C for a long time. It’s a longshot Lundell gets to that level, but we will see.
Have you watched much of Lundell? Going by advanced stats, what Lundell is doing in Liiga is unparalleled. Of course risky!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yeah, if Lundell becomes M.Koivu, Panthers fans would be thrilled. Imagine that kind of two-way prescence down the middle with Barkov and Lundell...that would be amazing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
People give these U20 tournaments way too much value when it comes to individual players.

I remember 2015-16 when Puljujärvi won the tournament scoring and Rantanen was a passenger for most of the games.
Rantanen wasn't a passenger though. Revisionist history to try and prove a point? I dunno?

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
World class might be aggressive. It’s definelty good, though.
It's more than good, it's worldclass in my opinion. It's not a Laine wrister, but has a sneaky Matthews esque style mixed with Hintz. He's going to be a way better goal scorer than what people think.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, Rossi wasn't supposed to be available. I don't really have a strong opinion on him, but he seems to be a reasonably solid choice. Most MN fans would've been screaming for heads if Lundell was chosen over him, but I wouldn't have been one of him. I kept hearing about Lundell's faults pre draft, but when I saw him play, I couldn't see them, and kept seeing a "big brain" out there. He's one of those guys who looks to be wise beyond his years, sort of like Brodin. Rossi appears to have that vibe, too.

Anyway, will be watching with interest as he develops.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Rantanen wasn't a passenger though. Revisionist history to try and prove a point? I dunno?

He wasn't great though, certainly not the dominant player he is now. I think his role was more defense orientated while the first line of Laine, Aho and Puljujärvi ran around guns blazing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He wasn't great though, certainly not the dominant player he is now. I think his role was more defense orientated while the first line of Laine, Aho and Puljujärvi ran around guns blazing.
He had 11 points in 8 games with 5 goals including a huge one in the gold medal game. He was amazing and did it on the second line, its absolutely revisionist history.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
He had 11 points in 8 games with 5 goals including a huge one in the gold medal game. He was amazing and did it on the second line, its absolutely revisionist history.

Kaako Kappo was talking about 2016 U20 when Rantanen had 5 points in 7 games. I think you are mixing up tournaments.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad