C Jiri Kulich - Rochester Americans, AHL (2022, 28th, BUF)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
That Sabres haven't been great, but they aren't Chicago of last year level of bad where they roster several non-NHL calibar talents. The Sabres are relatively deep at forward this year, and they have other young players playing in their Top 6. They aren't replacing Quinn/JJP/Tuch/Thompson/Benson/Cozens in the top 6. Kulich can play on the third line and PP2, and get plenty of ice time.

He can be a bottom 6er with the Sabres because the org has stated they want to run 3 lines fluidly...
He definitely is not replacing Peterka, Thompson or Tuch, but he is in direct competition with Benson, Quinn and Cozens and will take their spots if he is better, especially Cozens should be worried as he can´t drive line on his own without Peterka. I am not saying that Kulich makes top6 out of the gate, but they should be worried because to them he is competition, competition that can score goals and play center/wing.

Reactions: wetcoast

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
He definitely is not replacing Peterka, Thompson or Tuch, but he is in direct competition with Benson, Quinn and Cozens and will take their spots if he is better, especially Cozens should be worried as he can´t drive line on his own without Peterka. I am not saying that Kulich makes top6 out of the gate, but they should be worried because to them he is competition, competition that can score goals and play center/wing.
He had a down year, same as everyone. This is just a poor statement he proved he was capable two years ago. Quinn and Cozens are not in competition with anyone.

Reactions: bert

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
We may disagree here. Quinn, Benson, Cozens have all shown at points in their careers to be quality NHL players. Kulich looked out of place in his first cup of coffee. It would be an incredibly tall task for Kulich to take a permanent top 6 place from any of the guys in the current top 6. If injuries happen, its another conversation. However, when healthy, Kulich's best potential spot is third line over Krebs and PP2

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'll trust Sabres fans know their roster better than me. It's confusing because I keep reading how elite the forwards are but the Sabres haven't made playoffs since 2011. As an Oiler fan I can relate from our decade of darkness about being excited about prospects but maybe confusing what they are and what they can be. But, fine, he's not good enough to make the roster. My problem is that he's dominated his peers at every level.

So he torched the rookie tournament .. no big deal as it's a rookie tournament and most those guys won't be in NHL this year.

However, here is his last 3 years against his peers

1726679792324.png

Most goals, most points, all star teams. Then 100 points as a teenager in the AHL. Then the AHL all star team. He's clearly at the top of his class amongst his peers as he always ended those tournaments on top scoring wise. Goes to AHL and kills it.

I'm reading he's not good enough for NHL and I'm saying that another year in AHL won't really help him and may flatline him. Buffalo is in very dangerous territory of developing a tweener. If they have no room for him, I'd explore the trade market and try to get full value for him now. I guarantee there are teams that would welcome him into the lineup with open arms. Wait a year and the return goes down.

I honestly don't know where he can go. If he were a D, no problem and keep plugging away in AHL Jiri!

I'd love him on line 3 with McLeod to start. However, McLeod is no offensive dynamo. He looks absolutely amazing and you'll love him but the eye test and points never match up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll trust Sabres fans know their roster better than me. It's confusing because I keep reading how elite the forwards are but the Sabres haven't made playoffs since 2011. As an Oiler fan I can relate from our decade of darkness about being excited about prospects but maybe confusing what they are and what they can be. But, fine, he's not good enough to make the roster. My problem is that he's dominated his peers at every level.

So he torched the rookie tournament .. no big deal as it's a rookie tournament and most those guys won't be in NHL this year.

View attachment 907745

Most goals, most points, all star teams. Then 100 points as a teenager in the AHL. Then the AHL all star team. He's clearly at the top of his class amongst his peers as he always ended those tournaments on top scoring wise. Goes to AHL and kills it.

I'm reading he's not good enough for NHL and I'm saying that another year in AHL won't really help him and may flatline him. Buffalo is in very dangerous territory of developing a tweener. If they have no room for him, I'd explore the trade market and try to get full value for him now. I guarantee there are teams that would welcome him into the lineup with open arms. Wait a year and the return goes down.

I honestly don't know where he can go. If he were a D, no problem and keep plugging away in AHL Jiri!

I'd love him on line 3 with McLeod to start. However, McLeod is no offensive dynamo. He looks absolutely amazing and you'll love him but the eye test and points never match up.

He needed to learn the defensive side of the game and has applied himself there at a harder position (center vs. wing). He's starting camp in the group that's competing for the primary roster so the team have noted his improvements. It would seem likely that he'll be part of the group that goes to Prague but then it is a matter of if he makes the next cut down. Pre-season performance and injury to teammates could push him into the lineup from opening night on. And if they break camp healthy and he's deemed a slice below, he's shown the maturity to work on the things they have asked him to work on so it would seem he's probably first recall once the season starts.

If he goes down, he's the 1C on the AHL team and will continue to get PP1 and SH2 duties. Prospal is a good guide as one of the assistants down there and I don't think he's bullshitting us when Vinny talks about getting Kulich consistent enough that he isn't a recall-and-return but he's a promotion and never go back down guy.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He needed to learn the defensive side of the game and has applied himself there at a harder position (center vs. wing). He's starting camp in the group that's competing for the primary roster so the team have noted his improvements. It would seem likely that he'll be part of the group that goes to Prague but then it is a matter of if he makes the next cut down. Pre-season performance and injury to teammates could push him into the lineup from opening night on. And if they break camp healthy and he's deemed a slice below, he's shown the maturity to work on the things they have asked him to work on so it would seem he's probably first recall once the season starts.

If he goes down, he's the 1C on the AHL team and will continue to get PP1 and SH2 duties. Prospal is a good guide as one of the assistants down there and I don't think he's bullshitting us when Vinny talks about getting Kulich consistent enough that he isn't a recall-and-return but he's a promotion and never go back down guy.
I would rather see him traded, than see him play in bottom six, what a waste that would be. If he is good and blows few guys in top6 out of the water, then there is no reason to keep him playing in bottom line like few fanatics here would want him to.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would rather see him traded, than see him play in bottom six, what a waste that would be. If he is good and blows few guys in top6 out of the water, then there is no reason to keep him playing in bottom line like few fanatics here would want him to.

He was rotating in and out with Cozens and Quinn today which is starting off on the 2nd line.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

View attachment 907745

Kulich needs to force the issue and even he might be sent down since he isn't waiver eligible and at some point and injury will give him an opportunity and then he needs to take advantage of it.

Another partial season in the AHL isn't the end of the world for him.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Kulich needs to force the issue and even he might be sent down since he isn't waiver eligible and at some point and injury will give him an opportunity and then he needs to take advantage of it.

I would say everything I posted was 'forcing the issue'.

Since being drafted he's made every all star team (AHL, U20, U18) and led in scoring in his teams. He torched a rookie tournament. He was 100 AHL points as a teenager.

To me, that is forcing the issue.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

I disagree with Czechboy about his play in AHL. For me he was floater and his defensive game had alot to be desired, he just didn´t deserve spot with Sabres and alot of times his game was very frustrating to watch. But from what i´ve seen with him at prospect challenge, he is much better player without the puck, he scored in many different ways and he was far from one trick pony i´ve seen in Rochester, he was by far best and most complete player on ice. I am cautiously optimistic, hope he has banger preseason, if he is not getting at least middle six role from get go, send him to Rochester to play 1C in all situations.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I would say everything I posted was 'forcing the issue'.

Since being drafted he's made every all star team (AHL, U20, U18) and led in scoring in his teams. He torched a rookie tournament. He was 100 AHL points as a teenager.

To me, that is forcing the issue.

Benson last season is an example of a prospect forcing the issue. There’s no way anyone was planning for him to be in the team, but he just made it impossible to send him down. Kulich was resoundingly outplayed by Benson at least year’s camp, and he didn’t do anything to make the team keep him up when he got his chance when injuries hit. I’m optimistic that this year (whether out of camp or later in the season) is the one where he proves he’s ready to make the jump, but he definitely hasn’t been held in developmental league unfairly. He’s been in developmental leagues because he needed to develop.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
least year’s camp
I didn't have this argument last year. Since that camp led U20's in scoring, made all star team, led his AHL team in goal scoring (before U20's, not sure if he maintained that) and made all star team. Then torched a rookie tournament last week.

Totally agree Benson outplayed him last year. I'm talking about now and what he's done since last year. To me.. it's pretty impressive.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Kevyn Adams about Jiri Kulich ''He dominated''

Lindy Ruff, headcoach of Sabres said:

View attachment 907779
Some rando on HFBOARDS: "He is not getting top6 spot over anybody, there is no space!"
Well, the guy he’d most likely replace is Benson who significantly outplayed him last year and was one of their most consistent players night in night out.

It’s not that he can’t make the top 6 in any scenario. But it’s not like there’s a vacant spot waiting to be filled. He’ll have to force the issue with his play.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1726701208498.png

Had to look.. so this is the top 6 from last year. Not one .ppg player. Didn't make playoffs. This is not an untouchable top 6. For a comparison, I am an Oilers fan.. here are our top 6 forwards

1726701288137.png

And I wouldn't even call that an untouchable top 6.lol

Serious question... was someone missing from Sabres last year and that is why the point totals are so low? Tuch was 94th in league scoring. What happened? Injuries, key guys out?

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
View attachment 907831

Had to look.. so this is the top 6 from last year. Not one .ppg player. Didn't make playoffs. This is not an untouchable top 6. For a comparison, I am an Oilers fan.. here are our top 6 forwards

View attachment 907833

And I wouldn't even call that an untouchable top 6.lol

Serious question... was someone missing from Sabres last year and that is why the point totals are so low? Tuch was 94th in league scoring. What happened? Injuries, key guys out?
They must be extremely elite defensively, that´s why are they so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad