C Jett Luchanko - Guelph Storm, OHL (2024, 13th, PHI)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
His CHL stats don't impress me, that's the one thing I can say for sure. I mean PPG+ isn't terrible but it's pretty common when kids are 1.5PPG+ at this age.
74 points in 68 games is solid, but as you said, unspectacular. The question now is, can he explode like Tyler Toffoli did in his D+1 and be above 90 or 100 points in 60-65 games? We will see

The best thing about this pick is that I don't like it, and I am usually wrong about players we draft.

I thought Robert Hagg and Ginning were steals. I hated the Giroux pick. I hated the Tyson Foerster pick. I liked the Rubtsov pick.

I did like the Couts pick, but generally, I am usually wrong, so maybe there is hope.
How much do you deep dive into the CHL, USHL, and various European Pro & junior leagues? Foerster was a good pick that day, Giroux was a great gamble to take that day. Rubtsov & Ginning were low ceiling picks, while Hagg was thought of highly in the public, but his stats suggested lower ceiling too.

Luchanko is a reach at 13 but he could still be a very good player. He needs to explode in his D+1 and put up big time numbers, over 90 points preferably.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
74 points in 68 games is solid, but as you said, unspectacular. The question now is, can he explode like Tyler Toffoli did in his D+1 and be above 90 or 100 points in 60-65 games? We will see

How much do you deep dive into the CHL, USHL, and various European Pro & junior leagues? Foerster was a good pick that day, Giroux was a great gamble to take that day. Rubtsov & Ginning were low ceiling picks, while Hagg was thought of highly in the public, but his stats suggested lower ceiling too.

Luchanko is a reach at 13 but he could still be a very good player. He needs to explode in his D+1 and put up big time numbers, over 90 points preferably.
Oh I was just reading basic reports. There were always people I liked more, but very little research on my part.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Why do you see Thomas as a comp? I don't see it at all. Only similarity I see is some good passes off the wall.

Both players were plus skating centers who transported the puck really well. High compete guys who were both really good defensively. Both players flashed high hockey sense all over the ice. Both of them had shots that were underutilized and in need of improving. Similar size profiles as well where you wish they were just a tad bit bigger. Both were also among the youngest in their draft year.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Guelph lost a ton of talent including Poitras and Pastujov before this season and Luchanko was down the depth chart with 14 points in 46 games that year. I will say he shot up the roster and his stats showed, the same way Robert Thomas in his D-1 got a better look once that 2016 Knights team dismantled after losing Tkachuk, Marner and Dvorak

This season a few of their top scorers took steps back but Luchanko added to his point total by 60 and led the team with 74

One underrated part about his offense is his hands + feet deception and how he utilizes that with his vision, playmaking, and shot. Defenders have a hard time reading him

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Guelph lost a ton of talent including Poitras and Pastujov before this season and Luchanko was down the depth chart with 14 points in 46 games that year. I will say he shot up the roster and his stats showed, the same way Robert Thomas in his D-1 got a better look once that 2016 Knights team dismantled after losing Tkachuk, Marner and Dvorak

This season a few of their top scorers took steps back but Luchanko added to his point total by 60 and led the team with 74

One underrated part about his offense is his hands + feet deception and how he utilizes that with his vision, playmaking, and shot. Defenders have a hard time reading him
Do you know if the Guelph supporting cast gets better next year?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Do you know if the Guelph supporting cast gets better next year?
Karabela, Namestnikov, Buchinger, and Grundner I'm unsure of if they're coming back for an overage season or not. Buchinger has already signed his ELC and may be going to play AHL Springfield

Hoping that Paquette takes a step forward but he never ending up getting drafted this year. Late '05 birthday

I don't think the team's outlook isn't too great next season and Luchanko may be a trade candidate post-WJC. That's assuming he's selected, and I'm only speculating at this point. If the overager '04s come back then they might be decent

Reactions: Nabrules

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Karabela, Namestnikov, Buchinger, and Grundner I'm unsure of if they're coming back for an overage season or not. Buchinger has already signed his ELC and may be going to play AHL Springfield

Hoping that Paquette takes a step forward but he never ending up getting drafted this year. Late '05 birthday

I don't think the team's outlook isn't too great next season and Luchanko may be a trade candidate post-WJC. That's assuming he's selected, and I'm only speculating at this point. If the overager '04s come back then they might be decent
Doe Cam Allen bounce back in your opinion?

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I also think he will have a big year next year. Huge fan of this player. 12th on our list. No huge weakness in his game and one of the smartest players in this draft class.
Any concern Guelph will be a horrible team which could stunt his big plus 1 year Mark?

smartty18

Mar 7, 2020
Any concern Guelph will be a horrible team which could stunt his big plus 1 year Mark?
I’m a Storm fan and go to a ton of Guelph games. You can see I was one of the guys earlier on calling for him to be a massive riser and 1st rounder possibly.

I expect him to have a big year next season and put up 90-100+ pts and probably make the world juniors team.

He already led the team in points on a very inept offensive team and expect them to hopefully be better in that regard next season, can’t see it being worse.

I expect him to take on a bigger role which will help his point totals.

Reactions: Rennlist

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I’m a Storm fan and go to a ton of Guelph games. You can see I was one of the guys earlier on calling for him to be a massive riser and 1st rounder possibly.

I expect him to have a big year next season and put up 90-100+ pts and probably make the world juniors team.

He already led the team in points on a very inept offensive team and expect them to hopefully be better in that regard next season, can’t see it being worse.

I expect him to take on a bigger role which will help his point totals.
Thanks for the insight! Please keep your update posting coming whenever you go to games this upcoming year!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The best thing about this pick is that I don't like it, and I am usually wrong about players we draft.

I thought Robert Hagg and Ginning were steals. I hated the Giroux pick. I hated the Tyson Foerster pick. I liked the Rubtsov pick.

I did like the Couts pick, but generally, I am usually wrong, so maybe there is hope.

Where's the Fonzie "I was wrrsssh" GIF when you need it?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

If Guelph starts slow I'd imagine he'd be traded to a team hoping to win the league and compete for the Memorial Cup. Usually these deals happen around the holidays.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Love this kid and think he has a lot of potential and is just scratching the surface. His A1 to A2 ratio is very high. Hes generating most of the offence where his points are coming from. Rarely is he getting free A2 assists. He really doesnt have much offensive help, he was the guy as a 17 year old all year.

Hes very young for this draft class. He is extremely strong and athletic. He might be the smartest player in this draft and it looks like he might be at the tip of the ice berg in terms of development curve.

He has everything you look for in a player that is going to have a big break out next year.

Not surprised in the slightest he went top 15.

Reactions: Breeze 44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad