C Ivan Ryabkin - MHK Dynamo Moscow, MHL (2025 Draft)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Off to Muskegon soon?

"We are excited about the opportunity to add Ivan to our program." Said Lumberjacks President Steve Lowe. He continued "We expect Ivan to be here in the next couple of weeks after he competes for Team Russia at the end of the month. We still have several steps to go in order for Ivan to wear a Lumberjack uniform, but it does look promising."

So they didn't give him a spot on the KHL team, and he (or rather his parents?) has decided to move to NA? Yeah, the kid isn't Michkov/Demidov level. First of all, mentally.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Well that explains that.

Gonna assume USHL and then CHL track following in former Lumberjacks, Svechnikov and Gridin. Either that or he will just go straight to the AHL post-draft. Actually, that seems more likely.

Muskegon certainly do work the Russian pipeline, say what you will about the choices made by the players/families.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So they didn't give him a spot on the KHL team, and he (or rather his parents?) has decided to move to NA? Yeah, the kid isn't Michkov/Demidov level. First of all, mentally.

Do you know what else was happening?

Well that explains that.

Gonna assume USHL and then CHL track following in former Lumberjacks, Svechnikov and Gridin. Either that or he will just go straight to the AHL post-draft. Actually, that seems more likely.

Muskegon certainly do work the Russian pipeline, say what you will about the choices made by the players/families.

I wonder what this does to his draft stock and his development?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Do you know what else was happening?

I wonder what this does to his draft stock and his development?

As far as a lot of the smart folks on this forum go - it’s gonna be a big red flag and potential downgrade. He already was off to a slower than expected start in Russia. Now his season is stopped until this transfer is finalized, then he has to cross an ocean to a new continent and league (I will say I’d bet that the Jacks as an organization probably have a pretty good support system for Russian prospects compared to a lot of places). So will he hit the ground running or will he need more time to adapt and get up to speed?

For NHL clubs, I think it’ll be a bit more focused on what he does when he gets here and the idea of having him in the AHL with direct control and oversight by his NHL team in his post-draft season will probably be seen as a good thing, even if history says maybe not.

Reactions: viper0220

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am very opposed to Russian forwards outsourcing their development to NA. The track record speaks for itself. At the same time, some of them are too good to screw up.

Ryabkin is basically PPG and he’s playing bad. Thats still very good. Shows how high the standards are. A consensus top 5-6 prospect coming into the season is probably too good to screw up, but we’ll have to see. He may be a good test case for how good do you have to be to be too good to screw up.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Off to Muskegon soon?

"We are excited about the opportunity to add Ivan to our program." Said Lumberjacks President Steve Lowe. He continued "We expect Ivan to be here in the next couple of weeks after he competes for Team Russia at the end of the month. We still have several steps to go in order for Ivan to wear a Lumberjack uniform, but it does look promising."
Wow, this honestly makes a lot of sense. Right before he stopped getting playing time I almost posted this :

Every time I have seen him this season a thought has continually popped into my head. That thought is, "Huh, I think a year of North American Junior Hockey might be really good for his development." For me this thought is in no way a slight against the MHL. I am aware the MHL is a great league, but for some reason I think the difference in play styles would have a really positive impact on his development.

Clearly he has had similar thoughts.

Disclaimer : If I am being 100% honest the original thought was actually "a year in the CHL" not the broader "North America", but the USHL is a great league and I think it would have the same positive impact on his development

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
"Ivan Ryabkin is currently in a hotel in St. Petersburg and is preparing to leave for an away trip with the VHL team. He just arrived in St. Petersburg, where he met with the coaching staff of Dynamo (St. Petersburg). I can't say anything yet about the legality of signing a contract in America.

We are currently consulting with the KHL, and have already discussed all possible scenarios. We also contacted Ryabkin's agent, who said that Ivan has no plans to leave for NA."

championat.com

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
"Ivan Ryabkin is currently in a hotel in St. Petersburg and is preparing to leave for an away trip with the VHL team. He just arrived in St. Petersburg, where he met with the coaching staff of Dynamo (St. Petersburg). I can't say anything yet about the legality of signing a contract in America.

We are currently consulting with the KHL, and have already discussed all possible scenarios. We also contacted Ryabkin's agent, who said that Ivan has no plans to leave for NA."

championat.com
Hmm, perhaps signing with Muskegon is just his agents way of putting pressure on his home teams to give him more ice time. Personally, I hope he comes over, but either way, I hope he's playing top line minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad