C Gavin Brindley - University of Michigan, NCAA (2023, 34th, CBJ)

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Brindley has been an excellent addition to the USA WC roster, and he's seemingly beaten out fellow 2023 draftees Leonard (8th OA) and Smith (4th OA) for the final forward roster spot.

You can't help but wonder how much higher he would go today in a redraft.
If he was two inches taller he’s top 6-10. The dude is unreal. Make no mistake, Smith and Leonard are awesome and I love those players. But, there is a reason he beat both of them out in the WJC two years ago.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he was two inches taller he’s top 6-10. The dude is unreal. Make no mistake, Smith and Leonard are awesome and I love those players. But, there is a reason he beat both of them out in the WJC two years ago.
Even 1 inch taller. I’ve compared him to Marco Rossi, who went 9th at 5’9. Brindley is 5’8. 5’9 is palatable enough for NHL teams. You can debate that maybe he grows an inch or if it’s worth letting 1 inch knock down a very good player. When it’s a 5’8 player, it’s a harder player for teams to justify.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Even 1 inch taller. I’ve compared him to Marco Rossi, who went 9th at 5’9. Brindley is 5’8. 5’9 is palatable enough for NHL teams. You can debate that maybe he grows an inch or if it’s worth letting 1 inch knock down a very good player. When it’s a 5’8 player, it’s a harder player for teams to justify.
I think it’s not just height. I kind of used “two-inches” as a filler for “was a bit bigger”. Watching him live the first time you could tell he was just so slight of frame. But, I definitely agree with you

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'm guessing he'll make Columbus out of camp and be able to play up and down their lineup. Should be a productive sparkplug right off the bat.
Too soon to say since there's no coach yet, but I doubt that. He's probably first call-up from Cleveland for injury, though, especially if Laine has to begin the season with the Jackets because no trade materializes. Columbus has so many wings ahead of him in the depth charts even if Johnson starts slow after his surgery that I just don't see a spot for him yet. And that's okay, Cleveland should be stacked.

Reactions: CBJx614

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Too soon to say since there's no coach yet, but I doubt that. He's probably first call-up from Cleveland for injury, though, especially if Laine has to begin the season with the Jackets because no trade materializes. Columbus has so many wings ahead of him in the depth charts even if Johnson starts slow after his surgery that I just don't see a spot for him yet. And that's okay, Cleveland should be stacked.
I'd be shocked if he doesn't earn a spot coming out of camp. His motor and skillset are just too enticing.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'd be shocked if he doesn't earn a spot coming out of camp. His motor and skillset are just too enticing.
Always hilarious to me how one of the biggest criticisms of the Blue Jackets is that they rush their prospects (true) and then every one of the prospect threads has outside fans claiming that they should rush that particular prospect. He'll be fine spending most of a year in the AHL. Wing is the only position where Columbus is doing okay.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Always hilarious to me how one of the biggest criticisms of the Blue Jackets is that they rush their prospects (true) and then every one of the prospect threads has outside fans claiming that they should rush that particular prospect. He'll be fine spending most of a year in the AHL. Wing is the only position where Columbus is doing okay.
I don't think they should rush him, but I also don't think they should hold him back if he proves to be ready. He's already played 2 full seasons of college hockey, 2 WJCs, and a men's WC where he did not look out of place.

He'll be 20 at the start of the season (was only a few weeks away from being a 2022 draft pick). For a top offensive player I think he's been developed quite well. A year in the AHL shouldn't hurt him, but if he's ready to contribute as a top 9F in the NHL they should let him.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think they should rush him, but I also don't think they should hold him back if he proves to be ready. He's already played 2 full seasons of college hockey, 2 WJCs, and a men's WC where he did not look out of place.

He'll be 20 at the start of the season (was only a few weeks away from being a 2022 draft pick). For a top offensive player I think he's been developed quite well. A year in the AHL shouldn't hurt him, but if he's ready to contribute as a top 9F in the NHL they should let him.
Who is he going to play over?

More than likely at center

Monahan
Fantilli
Sillinger
Kuraly

More than likely locks on the roster and at wing

Gaudreau
Laine
Marchenko
Chinakov
Voronkov
Johnson
Jenner

Beatable but likely on the roster because of waivers

Olivier
Danforth

Brindley should make it, sure. But realistically it's a numbers game and he won't get called up until there's an injury or two. Even if he's crushing it in Cleveland they might have to stay down and call up someone else instead.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Who is he going to play over?

More than likely at center

Monahan
Fantilli
Sillinger
Kuraly

More than likely locks on the roster and at wing

Gaudreau
Laine
Marchenko
Chinakov
Voronkov
Johnson
Jenner

Beatable but likely on the roster because of waivers

Olivier
Danforth

Brindley should make it, sure. But realistically it's a numbers game and he won't get called up until there's an injury or two. Even if he's crushing it in Cleveland they might have to stay down and call up someone else instead.
Is Laine expected to start the season with Columbus?

My understanding was that these were more or less the locked down forwards
  • Gaudreau
  • Monahan
  • Jenner
  • Fantilli
  • Marchenko
  • Chinakhov
  • Voronkov
  • Sillinger
  • Kuraly
With the final spots to be fought over by:
  • Johnson
  • Brindley
  • Danforth
  • Olivier
I wouldn't be too concerned about exposing Danforth to waivers, but Olivier might get claimed.

Me personally? I would take Brindley over Sillinger, Kuraly, Danforth, and Olivier. Possibly Johnson as well.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus

• Gaudreau
  • Monahan
  • Jenner
  • Fantilli
  • Marchenko
  • Chinakhov
  • Voronkov
  • Sillinger
  • Kuraly
  • Johnson
  • Brindley
  • Danforth
  • Olivier
I wouldn't be too concerned about exposing Danforth to waivers, but Olivier might get claimed.

Me personally? I would take Brindley over Sillinger, Kuraly, Danforth, and Olivier. Possibly Johnson as well.
They aren't giving a rookie Brindley a roster spot over Kent Johnson. Sillinger also proved his spot last year IMO.

Reactions: FromChaos22

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

He'll be first man up, I'm sure. Probably gets 30-some games. But whose spot is he taking? Jenner's being pushed to wing with the Monahan signing, all three Russians are likely at wing, Johnny Gaudreau's still there, as of now Laine isn't going anywhere, Kent Johnson isn't a center, and they're not going to stick him on a checking fourth line.

Reactions: CBJx614

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He'll be first man up, I'm sure. Probably gets 30-some games. But whose spot is he taking? Jenner's being pushed to wing with the Monahan signing, all three Russians are likely at wing, Johnny Gaudreau's still there, as of now Laine isn't going anywhere, Kent Johnson isn't a center, and they're not going to stick him on a checking fourth line.
Hes a better player than every single RW CBJ has right now in my opinion. He’ll earn a job in training camp and run with it.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I won’t pretend to be an expert on Columbus’ roster situation, but I’d imagine Brindley’s existing chemistry with Fantilli may play a role as to whether or not he makes the team out of camp.

Those two went absolutely nuclear together in the second half of Fantilli’s year at Michigan.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

• Gaudreau
  • Monahan
  • Jenner
  • Fantilli
  • Marchenko
  • Chinakhov
  • Voronkov
  • Sillinger
  • Kuraly
  • Johnson
  • Brindley
  • Danforth
  • Olivier

It's not that simple. 0 chance he's starting over Sillinger or Kuraly, unless he makes the roster as a center(not happening)

Johnson v Brindley could be argued, but Johnson has already shown what he's capable of, so extremely unlikely he's sent down in favor of Brindley.

And then there's guys like Olivier, who is loved in the locker room and by the fans. He provides grit and the ability to fight..something that nobody else on the roster can offer.

Danforth is movable up and down the roster and while it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost him to waivers, he's looked as a veteran in the locker room even though he doesn't have a ton of NHL experience.

I personally don't even think he'll be the first call up. There's other guys on the roster who would make more sense for short term call-ups.

Brindley will have to be so good and producing so much that the FO/Coaches are forced to keep him on the roster.
Hes a better player than every single RW CBJ has right now in my opinion. He’ll earn a job in training camp and run with it.
The problem is he can't just be slightly better, he needs to be significantly better to expose contracts to other teams, there's just not enough space unless he bullies his way onto the roster. While it's not impossible, it's not probable.

Reactions: squashmaple

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
The problem is he can't just be slightly better, he needs to be significantly better to expose contracts to other teams, there's just not enough space unless he bullies his way onto the roster. While it's not impossible, it's not probable.
I see where you are coming from and I know you know CBJ better than me, but I’m telling you, the coach is going to want to play Brindley regardless of the team’s contract situation. You’re obviously a CBJ fan, are you married to any forward in the current lineup besides Fantilli?

Marchenko probably takes priority out of the gate, but you could move Brindley into any position. His motor, IQ, and speed will make him a mainstay on this roster. CBJ looked absolutely uninspired last year, you absolutely need this guy in the lineup. He brings a level of competence and compete that CBJ hasn’t had for a while.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is how I've frequently drawn up the roster. Almost all of our wings switch sides.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Fantilli
Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko
Sillinger - Jenner - KJ

Then the 4th line is all veterans that add a lot of leadership and solid two way play. The team is already overloaded with youth, it's been the blind leading the blind, they need role models like Danforth more than they need more youth. Brindley is like a more skilled version of Danforth, by the way.

In the top 9 I'd be fine with Brindley replacing Sillinger, or maybe stealing some games from KJ and have KJ in Cleveland for a bit, but every other winger there needs to play. They're not all great but there's big upside with all of them. Chinakhov or Fantilli could score 40, and Marchenko 30.

Having Brindley in a position where he needs to really prove his case is a great thing. The Jackets under Jarmo were gifting spots to kids who weren't as ready as Brindley is, and it's a good thing that Brindley has a higher standard to meet.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

• Gaudreau
  • Monahan
  • Jenner
  • Fantilli
  • Marchenko
  • Chinakhov
  • Voronkov
  • Sillinger
  • Kuraly
  • Johnson
  • Brindley
  • Danforth
  • Olivier

Brindley projects better obviously but Danforth is basically an older Brindley with less offensive skills. Dude is super underrated and a guy I bet Evason loves. Olivier provides a good role and is also not a hinderance on the ice, good 4th liner and fills a completely different need than anyone else we have in the system

Reactions: majormajor

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I see where you are coming from and I know you know CBJ better than me, but I’m telling you, the coach is going to want to play Brindley regardless of the team’s contract situation. You’re obviously a CBJ fan, are you married to any forward in the current lineup besides Fantilli?

Marchenko probably takes priority out of the gate, but you could move Brindley into any position. His motor, IQ, and speed will make him a mainstay on this roster. CBJ looked absolutely uninspired last year, you absolutely need this guy in the lineup. He brings a level of competence and compete that CBJ hasn’t had for a while.
Oh trust me, I want Brindley in the lineup, but other ahead of him have earned their time. Could/should he play over guys like Sillinger? Probably, but he's gonna have to earn that spot and it shouldn't just be given to him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Oh trust me, I want Brindley in the lineup, but other ahead of him have earned their time. Could/should he play over guys like Sillinger? Probably, but he's gonna have to earn that spot and it shouldn't just be given to him.
I don't think anyone is arguing for him to be gifted a spot. But a lot of posters who have been following him for a while have the expectation that if he plays the game he's capable of, Evason will have a really hard time sending him to the AHL.

He's going to step in and instantly one of the teams quickest, smartest, and most competitive forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad