C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bit early to be victory lapping
Isn't that kinda what you were doing when you bumped this thread with the Pronman quote?

We won't know who won this trade for some time, but Gauthier has looked as advertised every time I've watched him. He was never seen as a patient, high IQ player. He's just a big, athletic scoring forward with puck skills and a wicked shot who competes in both ends. His lack of IQ will probably prevent him from becoming an elite offensive player, but I don't think that was ever expected of him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Isn't that kinda what you were doing when you bumped this thread with the Pronman quote?

We won't know who won this trade for some time, but Gauthier has looked as advertised every time I've watched him. He was never seen as a patient, high IQ player. He's just a big, athletic scoring forward with puck skills and a wicked shot who competes in both ends. His lack of IQ will probably prevent him from becoming an elite offensive player, but I don't think that was ever expected of him.
On HFboards you are either a PPG player or useless. There is no in-between. I’ll take a 30-30 winger pest in Gauthier on my team any day of the week.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

I suppose you could interpret that way. I just thought it interesting an industry leader had Drysdale ahead as I can assure you very few if any flyers fans would take Drysdale ahead of Gauthier. Also thought the criticism of Gauthier's IQ was noteworthy given I and others seeing the same thing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I mean, he was a 5th overall pick... Obviously someone projected him as an elite player.

Reactions: slumpy43

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I mean, he was a 5th overall pick... Obviously someone projected him as an elite player.
I don't think all 5th overall picks are projected to be elite scorers. Landeskog went 2nd in 2011 and was never expected to be a prolific offensive force. Same with Jordan Staal in 2006.

Gauthier may become an elite all around player if things work out for him, but I don't see elite offensive potential.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

He was considered a reach at 5… but note that he was out scored in his sophomore season by a couple of freshman.

That’s not to say he did poorly or anything, he had a tremendous season. But just shows he likely won’t be a leading point getter but likely a very good player.

Reactions: Boo Boo

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I don't think all 5th overall picks are projected to be elite scorers. Landeskog went 2nd in 2011 and was never expected to be a prolific offensive force. Same with Jordan Staal in 2006.

Gauthier may become an elite all around player if things work out for him, but I don't see elite offensive potential.

On top of that, it’s the high IQ players of physical freaks that end up as top scorers.

CG has very good physical tools - but not freakish - and an average IQ.

He’ll put up good numbers on tools alone.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I would be very surprised if Gauthier were ever an elite all-around player too. Way too inconsistent effort- and impact-wise when he's not scoring.

I personally had a tier of five top guys in 2022, and if the Flyers passed on David Jiricek (who at the time was considered a 6'3" legit #1 RHD prospect) for Gauthier, then they must have projected him as a #1C.

(That obviously doesn't mean they were right to think that, but Gauthier's not nearly well-rounded enough for Gabe Landeskog and Jordan Staal comparisons IMO.)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would be very surprised if Gauthier were ever an elite all-around player too. Way too inconsistent effort- and impact-wise when he's not scoring.
He was pretty decent in a more defensive role last season, but he for sure has some things that will need polishing if he's going to hit that level.
I personally had a tier of five top guys in 2022, and if the Flyers passed on David Jiricek (who at the time was considered a 6'3" legit #1 RHD prospect) for Gauthier, then they must have projected him as a #1C.
Yeah, he could still develop into a 1C without becoming an elite offensive player. If he's a 30-40g 60-80p all situations center, that's still probably considered a 1C, just not likely an elite 1C.

(That obviously doesn't mean they were right to think that, but Gauthier's not nearly well-rounded enough for Gabe Landeskog and Jordan Staal comparisons IMO.)
No, but I think his offensive profile is probably a bit higher. There are plenty of other examples of forwards being picked in the top of the draft without necessarily having elite offensive upsides, guys like Hayton, Ladd, Kotkaniemi, Zacha (6th in a deep draft.

Reactions: MakoSlade

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He was pretty decent in a more defensive role last season, but he for sure has some things that will need polishing if he's going to hit that level.

Yeah, he could still develop into a 1C without becoming an elite offensive player. If he's a 30-40g 60-80p all situations center, that's still probably considered a 1C, just not likely an elite 1C.

No, but I think his offensive profile is probably a bit higher. There are plenty of other examples of forwards being picked in the top of the draft without necessarily having elite offensive upsides, guys like Hayton, Ladd, Kotkaniemi, Zacha (6th in a deep draft.
I think we differ on the defensive (or lack of) impact Gauthier will have. I think he's a wing and passenger on any line that will score a bunch and wouldn't be surprised if he has more goals than assists most years.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I find this thread funny.

Mostly non-Ducks fans bickering and his upside/downside. He may have been drafted as a #1 center, but noone is expecting that of him in Anaheim. They don't need him to be that with Carlsson, McTavish, and Zegras.

The Ducks will be very happy if he is a 30-40 goal "passenger" triggerman. Anything more is a huge bonus.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I find this thread funny.

Mostly non-Ducks fans bickering and his upside/downside. He may have been drafted as a #1 center, but noone is expecting that of him in Anaheim. They don't need him to be that with Carlsson, McTavish, and Zegras.

The Ducks will be very happy if he is a 30-40 goal "passenger" triggerman. Anything more is a huge bonus.
Yeah, ducks fans should be. It's a message board for discussion, so, just discussing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad