C Carson Wetsch - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

6’2“ 16 year old scored his first career CHL goal today - He has a rocket of a shot and is good at using his size to his advantage. Good Skater, excellent motor that he uses well on the forecheck to consistently apply pressure to the opposition. He should be an interesting player to watch going forward!

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Really strong game today, looking elite among this age group.

Agreed - has been very good at using his body to protect the puck and win puck battles.

Showcasing his speed also - Czechia defenders seem surprised he is so quick.

Good at moving the puck and being very decisive with it. I’ve been very impressed also.

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It seems all of us like this player.

Only has 5 points in 11 games, but he's has above-average size, he skates well, he's good defensively, he's physical, he has somewhere between average and good offensive ability.

He makes an impact on almost every shift. He's underrated, and I feel like he's the type of player we'll see continue to rise in perception the next few years.

Reactions: Dominance

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really love this kid’s game. I’ve watched probably 20 Calgary games this year and he’s always impressive. Like a Blake Coleman/Tanner Jeannot hybrid. He’s tough as nails, skates well, good both ways, and has some real talent. I’m really surprised he’s not more productive. I don’t know what to make of it. When you watch him, he really LOOKS like a player. But his stats really aren’t special.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I really love this kid’s game. I’ve watched probably 20 Calgary games this year and he’s always impressive. Like a Blake Coleman/Tanner Jeannot hybrid. He’s tough as nails, skates well, good both ways, and has some real talent. I’m really surprised he’s not more productive. I don’t know what to make of it. When you watch him, he really LOOKS like a player. But his stats really aren’t special.

He will probably go 2nd round, if not then early 3rd round.

There's a couple prospects like that in this draft, the ceiling isn't super high but there could be some runway that isn't apparent based on the stats alone.

Getting a high end 3rd line is still very valuable as there are less and less of them in the league that can play a tough game.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
He will probably go 2nd round, if not then early 3rd round.

There's a couple prospects like that in this draft, the ceiling isn't super high but there could be some runway that isn't apparent based on the stats alone.

Getting a high end 3rd line is still very valuable as there are less and less of them in the league that can play a tough game.

This is my thinking as well. However, I wonder with players like Wetsch if he's better than his stats suggest and he's got the type of tools that he might get better or show better as he rises through the ranks.

A good example of this is another former Hitman player Ryan Getzlaf. Getzlaf was a 30 goal / 70 pts player (basically what Wetsch is producing now) during his time in Calgary but considering how good he was in the NHL you wouldn't have guessed that he was going to be a 1st line centre for 20 years winning multiple cups and scoring over 1000 pts.

If you had the benefit of hindsight you take Getzlaf top 3 in that draft and not in the back half of the 1st round.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He flashes offense here and there but he's never consistent with it when I watch him though. Good bet to be a nhler just will be limited to a checking role which if you're taking him in the 3rd you are more than happy with, even back half of the 2nd. Reminds me a fair bit of Nathan Bastian albeit a little smaller player but same style, future role

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Shhhhh.... I've been hoping the Ducks pick him up with one of there many 3rds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad