C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I think this is kind of missing the crux of the issue, by focusing on it being about a "boom/bust" factor, rather than what it often really boils down to.

Frankly...in a lot of cases, these smaller, extremely smart, high skill players are often actually a "safer" bet to make it to the NHL in some capacity. Heck, big "power forwards" tend to be about as boom or bust as it comes. But that's not really what the sliding or perceived devaluation of smallish skill players is about.

The critical piece of analysis missing here, is that a large portion of it is about what happens between those two extremes of "boom" or "bust". What is a player's more realistic range of outcomes, and what is their value in that realm?

It's not really about those 99th percentile outcomes of hitting their absolute "ceiling" or absolute "floor" as a complete and total bust.

What really matters, is that "meat" of the curve. What happens if that player ends up in the far more likely middle ~68% of potential outcomes? What is that player's value going to be for your team? As a contributor to build around, or as a trade chip to go out and get what you need in an established player.

That's where you can often get some perceived skew toward bigger, physical type players. Because what happens if a guy like Catton ends up being a small ~40pt "tweener" with lots of smarts and skill but not enough juice to be a star scorer? Contrast with say...a guy like Lindstrom, maybe his hockey IQ and vision really hold him back and he's just a 15G-30pt middle six winger with size and speed. Which one is more "valuable" to most teams?

There's usually a fair bit of wiggle room in that range...but that's what a lot of teams and scouts are really assessing. With their actual jobs and livelihood on the line, it's not always about just "swinging for the fences" on every pitch. What is a prospect going to be worth and contribute if they end up somewhere around halfway between "total bust" and "absolute ceiling". A more common and realistic expectation or projection range than talking about black and white boom/bust outcomes.

And in that equation...due to the way the game of hockey is played, small skilled wingers and little offensive defencemen just often do not tend to fare as well as other types that are generally perceived by fans as "overvalued". There just isn't as much utility, or room for smallish, creative, riskier, east-west high skill players in the bottom half of most coaches rosters.

That's often a factor even with very "smart" management groups and scouting staffs, more so than just "hurrr durrr dinosaurs and biases hate small players just because". :dunno:
So, first, I really appreciate the point of evaluating players as a range of outcomes. I agree completely and advocate for taking an “expected value” approach to ranking prospects.

For example, a player with a 10% chance of being a 10/10 player, a 50% chance of becoming a 6/10, and a 40% chance of busting is an expected value of 4/10.

I think talking about “boom/bust” vs “safe” players is stupid. No draft pick is “safe” and every single one of them has bust potential. If I was a GM, I would make all my scouts hand in their rankings with percentage odds assigned to each player’s range of outcomes.

Where I believe we disagree is 1) that a player like Catton doesn’t have much value if he’s a middle six guy or whatever, and 2) that you shouldn’t always swing for the fence, particularly at the top of the draft. I think you can, in fact, win by having skill on your third line, but more importantly, I think you should be trying to maximize your odds of finding elite talent when deciding between players in the top 10. We can disagree what Catton’s percentage odds are of becoming “elite”, but it’s certainly within his range of outcomes, and I just don’t see a weighted model that would have someone like Lindstrom, for example, clearly ahead of him.

The part of all this I’m pushing against are the arguments that suggest Catton’s any more unlikely to become an elite talent than Lindstrom or whomever because of his size. People tend to discount the probabilities associated with small players and put a premium on the probabilities associated with bigger players. It’s why players like Point and Stankoven fall further than they should, and people act surprised when they hit. They won’t all hit, but that’s the arbitrage opportunity if you do it enough times. I think Teddy Stiga is probably another player this year that will not go as high as he should, for example.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Catton's chances of becoming a Clayton Keller type winger are very high. That's a very high scoring player who drives the play. I think there's some injury risk there but not a lot of risk that he doesn't have the skill to be a star player. He has it.

I think it's possible teams and scouts see that too, and they're just not that excited about building their team that way.

It's somewhat similar issue to Benson, very different player type, but similar in how HF might be missing the point. I don't think NHL teams are shocked by how good Benson was in year 1. They just preferred to build their team with bigger players.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I think part of this mentality comes from the Benson debate of last year. I just don’t think the players are comparable at all outside of “small skilled WHL winger”.

With Zach Benson, very genuinely if you hadn’t seen him play, there’s no way you’d “get it” with him. Literally the least impressive thing about him was his point totals, in that he was elite defensively, elite on the forecheck, elite on special teams, elite in transition, physically engaged, you name it.

Catton is a much more prototypical “small skilled forward”. He’s shifty, great hands, super agile, and no slouch in the defensive zone, but his point total does a pretty good job of painting the picture of what he is. I came away from every Zach Benson viewing last year blown away and thinking that maybe I was ranking him too low, and I already had him ranked 5th. Every Catton viewing this year has been like “yep, that’s Catton, he’s skilled, shouldn’t fall out of the top-10”, but that’s it.

Catton doesn’t have the B-game of a Zach Benson type, who was going to be a clear-cut NHLer in some type of role even if the offense didn’t translate. If Catton’s offense doesn’t translate at an elite level, what role does he have? If he isn’t at least a 50 point guy, then I don’t really have time for him on my team. He’s worth a pick in the 7-10 range because the upside is so high without a doubt, but it’s reasonable to cast doubt on his projection.
To be fair, how many players in the Catton "prototype" are useful if they don't score at least 50 points a year? I'd say that's the majority of prospects.

You're betting on him becoming a Claude Giroux/Clayton Keller type. Which I'm fairly high on that happening considering what he did in the W and comparing that to very small list of players who put up as many goals as he did in their draft year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
To be fair, how many players in the Catton "prototype" are useful if they don't score at least 50 points a year? I'd say that's the majority of prospects.

You're betting on him becoming a Claude Giroux/Clayton Keller type. Which I'm fairly high on that happening considering what he did in the W and comparing that to very small list of players who put up as many goals as he did in their draft year.
Yeah, that’s sorta my point.

As opposed to someone like Cayden Lindstrom, who if the offense doesn’t translate you can easily see having a successful career as a crash-and-bang third liner.

I have tons of time for Berkley Catton and I am a believer but I don’t think you can blame NHL scouts for preferring a guy with more versatility and upside that’s almost as high.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023

As opposed to someone like Cayden Lindstrom, who if the offense doesn’t translate you can easily see having a successful career as a crash-and-bang third liner.

I have tons of time for Berkley Catton and I am a believer but I don’t think you can blame NHL scouts for preferring a guy with more versatility and upside that’s almost as high.
If you're picking any of these players top 5, or even top 10 and they dont pan out that's going to be a disappointment. Saying Lindstrom will at least be a crash and bang player isn't really a saving grace imo. He'd still have severely disappointed in comparison to his potential.

Reactions: viceroy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If you're picking any of these players top 5, or even top 10 and they dont pan out that's going to be a disappointment. Saying Lindstrom will at least be a crash and bang player isn't really a saving grace imo. He'd still have severely disappointed in comparison to his potential.
and of course if Berkly Catton follows a Sam Gagner career trajectory instead of a Claude Giroux, that's a bit disappointing as well

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Right, but there’s a difference between a disappointment that can still be a useful player and a disappointment that is an AHL journeyman.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Right, but there’s a difference between a disappointment that can still be a useful player and a disappointment that is an AHL journeyman.
Right but we're talking about marginal NHL players. At the end of the day there's not a lot to get excited about.

My point is, go for whatever player you think is going to boom rather focusing on the " at least he can still be X".

Reactions: viceroy

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
and of course if Berkly Catton follows a Sam Gagner career trajectory instead of a Claude Giroux, that's a bit disappointing as well
Of course, it's a possibility. You can like whatever prospect you want to but the "still a useful NHLer" theory seems a bit foolish when picking this high.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Right but we're talking about marginal NHL players. At the end of the day there's not a lot to get excited about.

My point is, go for whatever player you think is going to boom rather focusing on the " at least he can still be X".
We’re not talking about marginal players, though.

For me, if Cayden Lindstrom doesn’t hit his upside, I can easily see him as a 20-20 third liner who can play any forward position and is mean as hell and hard to play against. Not a world-beater, but a player that anyone would love to have on their team. If Berkly Catton doesn’t hit his upside or at least close, he’s literally not an NHLer.

Again, I’m not arguing to pick high floor players over high ceiling players, just that floor isn’t something that can be ignored. I think Lindstrom and Catton have around the same upside (in terms of overall impact on a hockey game), just as an example, but because Lindstrom’s floor is much higher and his play style is much more attractive, I’d be much more comfortable taking him top-5 than I would Catton.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Ehh…from a Buffalo fan perspective, we would give up a whole lot for a good crash and bang 3rd liner. And we would also give up absolutely nothing for small, skillful, borderline NHL player.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
We’re not talking about marginal players, though.

For me, if Cayden Lindstrom doesn’t hit his upside, I can easily see him as a 20-20 third liner who can play any forward position and is mean as hell and hard to play against. Not a world-beater, but a player that anyone would love to have on their team. If Berkly Catton doesn’t hit his upside or at least close, he’s literally not an NHLer.

Again, I’m not arguing to pick high floor players over high ceiling players, just that floor isn’t something that can be ignored. I think Lindstrom and Catton have around the same upside (in terms of overall impact on a hockey game), just as an example, but because Lindstrom’s floor is much higher and his play style is much more attractive, I’d be much more comfortable taking him top-5 than I would Catton.
That's fair, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone in to not taking Lindstrom.

I imagine most NHL teams will agree with you on Lindstrom and will take him for his tools and hope he develops. However, I disagree on the Catton piece. The transition game is elite and he's quite good on the PK. It's not like he has massive flaws in his skating or something.

Guess it depends on how high you are on the player and how sure they'll reach their ceiling/be close to it.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Responding to skating concerns-

His skating is awesome in my opinion. He carries speed very well and he’s an effortless stride. I do have minor concerns about the top speed, but I think that will come with strength. If it doesn’t, I think his skating, skill, sense and shots are all plus level and he still projects as a first line wing.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Of course, it's a possibility. You can like whatever prospect you want to but the "still a useful NHLer" theory seems a bit foolish when picking this high.
I guess I think people should think less in terms of "line number" player semantics and more in terms of how they can fit overall within a lineup. A player like Lindstrom you can see easily sliding "up and down" a lineup, whether he's a guy giving your 3rd line some juice to get some offense in addition to giving you some hard-checking, or the guy you put up next to a super skilled guy even if in more of a "shotgun" role doing the same crashing and banging and maybe doing more "leeching" at even strength. That's not to necessarily say "Lindstrom = good, Catton = bad", but when you run through the various possibilities, you may be able to see the configurations where Lindstrom is providing more overall value throughout the cost-controlled RFA years than Catton. But of course, not necessarily so.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's fair, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone in to not taking Lindstrom.

I imagine most NHL teams will agree with you on Lindstrom and will take him for his tools and hope he develops. However, I disagree on the Catton piece. The transition game is elite and he's quite good on the PK. It's not like he has massive flaws in his skating or something.

Guess it depends on how high you are on the player and how sure they'll reach their ceiling/be close to it.
How many teams have 5’10” guys in their bottom-6? Genuine question, not trying to be snotty. I just don’t see any NHL coach actually deploying a guy like Catton in their bottom-6.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
How many teams have 5’10” guys in their bottom-6? Genuine question, not trying to be snotty. I just don’t see any NHL coach actually deploying a guy like Catton in their bottom-6.
With the emphasis on secondary scoring I can see Catton playing on a team's third line. Not in a traditional checking role but for a team that tries to run 3 scoring lines. When you consider his skillset on a PP and PK, I'm sure there would be space. It would depend on the level he develops to.

As for your question, the following guys are all 5'10 or shorter and playing in the bottom 6 on their respective teams. I just went through like half the teams, don't really have the time to do the entire NHL.

Carcone ARZ
Johnson CHI
Cogliano COL
Malatesta CBJ
Brindley CBJ
Czarnik DET

If you make the requirement 5'11 this list jumps up a lot.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Perfetti had more points and points per game in his draft year than Benson and Savoie who you put ahead of him. Benson (98) and Savoie (95) had each other and McLennon (92) who all put up huge points and helped each other reach those heights. Perfetti had 111 points while his next two highest team mates were Cole Coskey with 80 points and Damien Giroux who had 75 points. Those performances and overall play are not even close.

I would say that Rossi leading his league in scoring with a higher point total than Benson, Catton while being league MVP in his draft year should easily have him ahead of them.

Catton and Perfetti's draft year are almost identical. Same at Hlinka with Perfetti having a slightly higher ppg in regular season.

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Logan Cooley
3. Marco Rossi
4. Cole Perfetti
5. Berkley Catton
6. William Eklund
7. Zach Benson
8. Matthew Savoie
9. Seth Jarvis
10. Joakim Kemell
11. Frank Nazar
12. Matt Coronato
I ranked them based on based on where I would’ve had them if they were all being drafted at the same time. Not necessarily stats, more just what I saw from them at the same age.
Than you asked yourself where would Benson be in a re-draft? One would assume he goes in the top 10.
IMO if Catton goes out the top 10, one team will be very very happy.
I had Benson ranked 6th in his draft year and would probably draft him there as well. I’m not alone in the high Benson ranking by any means. Most rankings had him top 6. I couldn’t believe he fell so far.

I have Catton ranked #3 this year on my board. I love the player. If Benson was in this year’s draft, he’d be 2 or 3 for me this year. Probably 3 behind Demidov but I think it’s fairly close.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With the emphasis on secondary scoring I can see Catton playing on a team's third line. Not in a traditional checking role but for a team that tries to run 3 scoring lines. When you consider his skillset on a PP and PK, I'm sure there would be space. It would depend on the level he develops to.

As for your question, the following guys are all 5'10 or shorter and playing in the bottom 6 on their respective teams. I just went through like half the teams, don't really have the time to do the entire NHL.

Carcone ARZ
Johnson CHI
Cogliano COL
Malatesta CBJ
Brindley CBJ
Czarnik DET

If you make the requirement 5'11 this list jumps up a lot.
There’s a few of those guys I can’t really speak to, but Johnson, Brindley, and Cogliano are guys with clear-cut B games. I don’t think any of them are comparable to Catton, and frankly the only one of those guys who is a career bottom-6 player was Cogs. Johnson was once a first liner and I’d put some money on Brindley being a top-6 option at some point in his career.

I would personally have no problem with a guy like Catton on my third line, but I don’t see an NHL coach ever wanting to deploy a player like Catton in his bottom-6. I remember in 2011 the Sharks third line was the “hella-copter” line of Torey Mitchell-Joe Pavelski-Kyle Wellwood, all former or current centers and generously 5’11” in height. They were really solid and scored a lot… until the playoffs, where they had no time and space and were pretty useless. The Sharks hard-pivoted to Pavelski in their top-6 and jettisoned Wellwood and Mitchell the following year and signed big two-way Michal Handzus to be 3C. I personally did not like that direction, but that’s absolutely the way teams are. Ryan McLeod and Anton Lundell as 3Cs, grinders on the third lines.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Every year there is a Berkly Catton. There was a Benson and Perreault last year, an Eklund in 2021, and so on.

Not every year is there a Claude Giroux. And the reasons why the former don't turn into the latter every time are why the criticisms come up every time - because they're the likely reasons why the player doesn't become Claude Giroux.

Of course Catton could. But so could every highly skilled, intelligent, undersized player who lights up juniors every year. But not all of them do. Catton is a great prospect but he's still not likely to become Claude Giroux.
Fair enough but by the same token 2,3,4 heck even 5 of the top 10 Dmen will probably not become what people expect either and that's the context of the draft in how Catton compares with the field.

Also the size thing is overblown, he is slight but has a big enough frame to add weight and strength and the strengths of his skillset, especially his ability to process the game are what people should be focusing on here IMO.

The kid is an outstanding offensive talent and is very projectable to become a very good #1 center in the NHL or an elite #2 center.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The Devils Insiders guys discussed him on their podcast the other day; drawing comparisons to Jack Hughes. Would that be a good projection for Catton?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

You shouldn't use high draft picks for players for their percieved floor. You can pick up a checking-line player on the waiver wire. You use high draft picks for the percieved ceiling of players, because that upside is near-impossible to get outside of the draft.

If it was, he would easily be the #1 overall pick in this draft by a wide margin and not a candidate for #11-15.
I heard Catton was more of a #26-45 range prospect.

• Haha
Reactions: Reddawg

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You shouldn't use high draft picks for players for their percieved floor. You can pick up a checking-line player on the waiver wire. You use high draft picks for the percieved ceiling of players, because that upside is near-impossible to get outside of the draft.

I heard Catton was more of a #26-45 range prospect.
I didn’t say draft for floor, you’re putting words in my mouth and cherry-picking from my posts what you like.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I didn’t say draft for floor, you’re putting words in my mouth and cherry-picking from my posts what you like.
I haven't cherry-picked anything. I responded to your central argument and premise.

Hope this helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad