C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If you're wondering why Catton will slide to around #10-15 this is how slight his frame is (image pulled from a Spokane Chiefs youtube video earlier in the year):

View attachment 867332

At least he's displaying how he's trying to pack on some pounds.

There are scrawny skilled guys who make it and he's just a kid, but a team that already has size in the top 6 would be a good landing spot for Catton.
I'll be interested to see the combine results because he looks 140lbs.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
If you're wondering why Catton will slide to around #10-15 this is how slight his frame is (image pulled from a Spokane Chiefs youtube video earlier in the year):

View attachment 867332

At least he's displaying how he's trying to pack on some pounds.

There are scrawny skilled guys who make it and he's just a kid, but a team that already has size in the top 6 would be a good landing spot for Catton.
Buffalo would be a great spot. Between Thompson/Tuch/Cozens they carry decent size in their top 6. Get another skill guy to add to their already wealthy pool

Reactions: Reddawg

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
As predicted, the slide talk is already starting, and we knew it would.. The combine will be huge for him.

Here’s what we know with Catton. He’s incredibly skilled, and he’s going to get his opportunity to prove every team (who passes on him over strength concerns) wrong. 20 years ago, he probably doesn’t even get drafted with his body structure.

Like it or not, the combine is gonna be more important to him than any other high profile player in this draft, and he doesn’t have to do anything but get measured. It’s gonna determine how many teams scratch him from being a 1st Round pick. Simply due to his measurements. They may scratch him from their entire draft board. It would be stupid, but they’ll feel if they don’t think he’ll be able to play in the NHL, why even waste a late pick?

Like it or not, some human beings just can’t put on muscle, weight and strength. No different than people with weight issues. It really is that simple.

If his wrists, ankles, forearms all come in extremely small as many think, teams will have to make a decision…. where in the draft they’re willing to take the chance, he is able to put on the muscle and weight REQUIRED to play in the league. This isn’t just about height/weight.

Personally, with the lack of overall skill in this draft, I think he’s still worth that chance much higher than I normally would take a player like him. In a normal year, I’m probably not touching him in the 1st or 2nd round IF the speculation is true.

Teams will put a percentage rate on it. If they think he only has a 20% chance to ever build on his core strength, they’ll be very hesitant to take him with a high pick, and honestly, how do you blame teams, if doctors are telling you, the kid will never be strong enough?

For fans who don’t understand this, you really do have to stop chasing Junior stats. This has happened many times before and the players never even played in the NHL. We see it when a kid like Cormier plays in the NHL compared to the AHL, and he’s built like a rock for his size, compared to Catton.

There’s a picture on here of Catton’s arms. That’s never going to be able to play in the NHL. So if they can’t grow, you’d be negligent taking him with a high pick.

It really is no different than a player having a health concern. It would literally be dangerous for him to play in the NHL with that body frame.

That all said, I love the kids game. I hope he succeeds and proves everyone wrong. At some point though, teams have to be honest with themselves. Doesn’t mean they won’t take a chance on him later in the draft, but a top 20 pick? It’s hard to justify IF you’re having doctors tell you, he’ll never gain the strength.

People who are just ignoring this, simply aren’t being logical at all. There will be teams who will take a Hage 100% of the time over Catton, even if they believe he has a 50/50 chance at adding strength. It’s gonna come down to what that percentage is, compared to other players ceilings on the draft board. There’s always players who teams question, and they usually fall. The dman the Avs took last year. The concern still exists a year later. He fell into the 2nd round, right? Beau Bennett had some of these questions and remember, he couldn’t play a week without getting hurt.

Those players had much less of a concern than Catton.

So it sucks for him Draft wise, because as a competitor he feels he’s as good as any forward in this draft, but like I said in the beginning. He’s gonna get every chance to prove everyone wrong IF teams pass on him.

Reactions: coooldude

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Catton for me is all about projection and he has the height to be a first line center in the NHL.

All the talk about his 2 very good linemates will look silly next season when they turn pro and fall kind of flat.

I'm not sure what talk you are referring to. We've been trashing his linemates all year here more than any other prospect's linemates or D partner. They were not very good.

Personally, with the lack of overall skill in this draft, I think he’s still worth that chance much higher than I normally would take a player like him. In a normal year, I’m probably not touching him in the 1st or 2nd round IF the speculation is true.

This is very overstated.

Once you get to about pick #20 this year and most years, you've got guys who might not make the league because of lack of talent. You might as well swing on Catton even if you're not sure if his body will hold up.

If you've got 20% chance that he fills out, you can also add to that the chance that he can be one of those contact averse players that survives the league without a lot of strength. There are occasional players like Johnny Gaudreau (who is that thin) that make it work.

It's very easy to imagine a scenario where Catton adds 5-10 lbs of muscle, gets better at protecting himself, and deals with occasional injuries in his NHL career, and ends up with a better career than all but 3-8 players in this draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure what talk you are referring to. We've been trashing his linemates all year here more than any other prospect's linemates or D partner. They were not very good.

This is very overstated.

Once you get to about pick #20 this year and most years, you've got guys who might not make the league because of lack of talent. You might as well swing on Catton even if you're not sure if his body will hold up.

If you've got 20% chance that he fills out, you can also add to that the chance that he can be one of those contact averse players that survives the league without a lot of strength. There are occasional players like Johnny Gaudreau (who is that thin) that make it work.

It's very easy to imagine a scenario where Catton adds 5-10 lbs of muscle, gets better at protecting himself, and deals with occasional injuries in his NHL career, and ends up with a better career than all but 3-8 players in this draft.

I think he probably tops out at 6'-0" and 185-190 lbs. That's OK. The question is what kind of style of game does he have at the pro level. Does he become a perimeter skilled skater and afraid of contact or does he have it in him to be effective both on the perimeter and in the middle where there is more traffic/contact. How does he handle the big D men in the NHL in front of the net and along the boards. Stuff like that. There has been many of his types that have faded in these areas once they turned pro.

No doubt about it. He's got potential. For every player like him that becomes a hit, there are 3 or 4 others who don't. This is not trying to take a stab at his potential, it's just reality of what has happened in the NHL.

To evaluate properly, what do people think his low potential is? 50-60 pts forward? I do think he will be a NHL'er and at least a middle 6F. That's how I read is low end.

Is Zegras a good comparable?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I'd definitely take Catton over Lindstrom and Iginla. I value a lot of hockey IQ and vision; and I find Catton is better than Lindstrom and Iginla on this front. Moreover, Catton's puck handling is better than Lindstrom/Iginla too.
I find that the size is over-rated in NHL.

Catton vs Lindstrom case is quite similar to Stutzle vs Byfield. Byfield is good, but Stutzle is better.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'd definitely take Catton over Lindstrom and Iginla. I value a lot of hockey IQ and vision; and I find Catton is better than Lindstrom and Iginla on this front. Moreover, Catton's puck handling is better than Lindstrom/Iginla too.
I find that the size is over-rated in NHL.

Catton vs Lindstrom case is quite similar to Stutzle vs Byfield. Byfield is good, but Stutzle is better.

If you mean in regards to their size difference, Stutzle was 6 foot 1 and 187 pounds at the draft....that's by no means undersized.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If you mean in regards to their size difference, Stutzle was 6 foot 1 and 187 pounds at the draft....that's by no means undersized.
The way people talk about Catton size you would believe he is 5'5 and the smallest player to ever play the game. Way overstated! :laugh:

Just recently Bedard was selected 1st overall, Michkov 7th overall, Cooley 3rd overall, Kent Johnson 5th overall, Eklund 7th overall, Raymond 4th overall and Hughes 1st overall, all about the same size as him. Even Demidov is the same size as him and he is talked about being possibly going top 5.

Last edited:

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
The way people talk about Catton size you would believe he is 5'5 and the smallest player to ever play the game. Way overstated! :laugh:

Just recently Bedard was selected 1st overall, Michkov 7th overall, Cooley 3rd overall, Kent Johnson 5th overall, Eklund 7th overall, Raymond 4th overall and Hughes 1st overall, all about the same size as him. Even Demidov is the same size as him and he is talked about being possibly going top 5.

He's tiny and overrated and is never going to be able to gain weight and I think he should fall until .... pick 15.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Imagine if Chicago went for him between 13-19, it would be an absolutely historic Draft Demidov-Catton.
Im dreaming too hard 😂

Reactions: wetcoast

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
He's tiny and overrated and is never going to be able to gain weight and I think he should fall until .... pick 15.
Lol...strange cause few months ago he was at 163 pounds....and he is now at 175 pounds.

he is gonna be around 185 and it's well enough in today's NHL....plus he is way smarter on the ice than Lindstrom...

Lindstrom with his 19 assists in 32 games in Juniors with a pack team...lollll..

19 assists in Juniors in 32 games..think about that and people think that he will be a center in the NHL..come on..

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Buffalo would be a great spot. Between Thompson/Tuch/Cozens they carry decent size in their top 6. Get another skill guy to add to their already wealthy pool
As much i like Catton, I think BUF should be the last team to take him. They don't need yet another smallish, non physical, skilled forward who will probably be a wing in the NHL. A RHD would be just the thing, though one of Dickinson or Silayev with their size and defensive abilities would have to be considered. Also, any forward with size and grit who knows where the D zone is(are there any players like that in the top 20? I guess the latter can be taught.). Lindstrom, Iginla, maybe Helenius?

What they really need is a RH version of Dickinson or Silayev. Parekh is NOT what they need... not sure if Levshunov is the guy, either. Yakemchuk I can see, maybe even Jiricek.

I really think that this is the year to trade down for some teams.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

The Demidov one has started bothering me.

How is this guy with how we saw Michkov fall so far projected as #2? It makes no sense. Catton skates better. He plays the more valuable position. They are virtually the same size. I wouldn’t say Catton is any worse defensively.

I think Demidov is very good, but I’m just not understanding how Demidov is loved and Catton is pretty much hated.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As much i like Catton, I think BUF should be the last team to take him. They don't need yet another smallish, non physical, skilled forward who will probably be a wing in the NHL. A RHD would be just the thing, though one of Dickinson or Silayev with their size and defensive abilities would have to be considered. Also, any forward with size and grit who knows where the D zone is(are there any players like that in the top 20? I guess the latter can be taught.). Lindstrom, Iginla, maybe Helenius?

What they really need is a RH version of Dickinson or Silayev. Parekh is NOT what they need... not sure if Levshunov is the guy, either. Yakemchuk I can see, maybe even Jiricek.

I really think that this is the year to trade down for some teams.
I get what you are saying but it depends on who else is there as I love Catton as a prospect and if both him, Savoie and Kuch all pan out then they are tradeable as more known commodities for the Damn they might be looking for.that being said the Sabers top 4 Dman unit is already very impressive and then can sign strategic lower cost FAs to add grit and toughness instead of overthinking it and not taking the BPA.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I think he probably tops out at 6'-0" and 185-190 lbs. That's OK. The question is what kind of style of game does he have at the pro level. Does he become a perimeter skilled skater and afraid of contact or does he have it in him to be effective both on the perimeter and in the middle where there is more traffic/contact. How does he handle the big D men in the NHL in front of the net and along the boards. Stuff like that. There has been many of his types that have faded in these areas once they turned pro.

No doubt about it. He's got potential. For every player like him that becomes a hit, there are 3 or 4 others who don't. This is not trying to take a stab at his potential, it's just reality of what has happened in the NHL.

To evaluate properly, what do people think his low potential is? 50-60 pts forward? I do think he will be a NHL'er and at least a middle 6F. That's how I read is low end.

Is Zegras a good comparable?
Many have compared him to Clayton Keller

Reactions: Habs Halifax

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He had absolutely terrific linemates.

His team stunk and they had no depth scoring but Roulette is a drafted NHL player in his 4th straight season as a PPG+ WHL player who put up 108 points and Bertholet has basically been a PPG player over the last 3 WHL seasons and led Spokane (and Catton) in scoring by 15 points in 22-23.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He gives me Benson vibes from last year. If he falls out of top 10, there's going to be a team that gets a steal.

Reactions: Rozz and rahad

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He’ll fall for no good reason and some lucky team will hit the jackpot because the “experts” thought he was too skinny, as if that’s hurt Jack Hughes or Mitch Marner or a million other players over the years. Crazy.
I don't think you understand. He's a human fabergé egg. A glass antique. A phone charger that has to plug in so precariously that the slightest movement will cease its charging.

He's a subatomic particle. The mere act of observation is enough to change his direction or location on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad