C Akil Thomas - Niagara IceDogs, OHL (2018, 51st, LAK)

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Was praying he would fall to the Oilers 2nd rounder. Will be interesting to see who turns out better between him and McLeod

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Seems like a surefire 1st rounder in a re-draft.....really nice production numbers.

Does anyone think he has a chance to make the kings next year since they are in a re-build?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Seems like a surefire 1st rounder in a re-draft.....really nice production numbers.

Does anyone think he has a chance to make the kings next year since they are in a re-build?
That is just more reason to send him back to junior. He should not be playing in the NHL next year. Let him dominate another year and play at the WJC.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I had him over Ylonen.

I'm not disapointed by Ylonen but I'd prefer Thomas.

i was also pretty upset we didn't draft him...

We would probably been able to draft Thomas instead of Romanov at 37 and romanov at 56 instead of olofsson, oh well what is done is done. A right Handed Center would have been good.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I'm sure he'll get a long look in training camp, and the wildcard is also Vilardi if he's healthy.

Supposedly the Kings do want to get younger, but for young centers in the organization, there's Kempe, Amadio, Kupari, Vilardi, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, and Thomas.

Plus, at the moment, there's Kopitar and Carter (though Carter is likely to be moved in the offseason).

More likely he will be sent back down to Niagara just due to the numbers game.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I wouldn't say surefire. His numbers adjusted for age aren't significantly better than they were a year prior (1.39 in 2019 (at the moment) to 1.28 in 2018). He may move up because of shown consistency, but it's not like he wasn't producing as a draft-eligible and exploded the next year. His production level is just slightly above what you would expect it to be.

LA is going to have a very good centre core in a few years with Thomas, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, and Kupari duking it out. If they land Hughes in the draft they are going to be dangerous offensively.
We will see how many actually stick at the dot. None of those guys are sure-fire centers at the NHL level. A lot of them were actually expected to end up on the wing when drafted.

I loved Vilardi as a prospect, having him 3rd best in the 2017 draft, and thought he was the best-drafted player in the CHL last year. But, at this point expecting much from him has to be treated with significant caution. His issues seem like they will be a career long battle, rather than something that can be rested and fix. I hope not, because it would suck to see such a talented guy not make it due to his back giving out.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I wouldn't say surefire. His numbers adjusted for age aren't significantly better than they were a year prior (1.39 in 2019 (at the moment) to 1.28 in 2018). He may move up because of shown consistency, but it's not like he wasn't producing as a draft-eligible and exploded the next year. His production level is just slightly above what you would expect it to be.
what ?

I think going from 1.19 PPG to 1.62 PPG is significantly better.

As we all know, assists are terribly overrated. Though he might have hit +40 goals in a fully healthy season in contrast to just 22 goals last year.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
what ?

I think going from 1.19 PPG to 1.62 PPG is significantly better.

As well all know, assists are terribly overrated. Though he might have hit +40 goals in a fully healthy season in contrast to just 22 goals last year.
His numbers when age-adjusted aren't dramatically different.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is this HF boards’ newest argument ? Age adjusted ?
Well, if you are going to say someone's numbers should dramatically improve their draft stock, their age is significant when looking at CHL production. Players production is expected to consistently improve in the CHL, given that almost all the players are between 16 and 19.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012

What am I missing, I see his Pts/G at 1.62, which is 5th in the OHL and #2 for all D+1(Just behind Barrett Hayton), and up from 1.19 and goals to 38 from 22? I think by any reasonable standard that is a significantly better than expected jump in D+1 production. Now, he plays on a loaded Niagara team so that would certainly account for a good portion of that jump so maybe that is what you are referring to?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His numbers went from 1.28 adjusted to 1.39 adjusted. A better than average jump, but not a sizable one.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Sorry, I am not following, adjusted for what?
Adjusted for age. Over a decade ago, I built regression models in an attempt to predict NHL success. Factors of statistical significance were age, PPG and adjusted proportion of points vs team goals. This model does not support Thomas having star potential.

Most of the time, a 2 ppg in a D+1 is a good indicator if the player does not play with another potential star player or on a stacked team. Based on the old model, Gabe Vilardi had as a similar index number as Steven Stamkos did in juniors.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
So what is exactly is this guys upside ? Does he make team canada ? How good will he be in the pros?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad