Rumor: Byfield extension soon

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
That’s what freaks me out about this. NHL clubs aren’t run by one person. You’re telling me everyone in our management group agreed to trading Vilardi and crew for Dubois? You’re telling me everyone in our management group agreed to signing Edmundson? There’s no way it’s only Blake. That’s so crazy to me.
That's the one thing with Lombardi, for better or worse it was him making the decisions. He would listen to other people, but it was him with the final say.
The when things started go downhill. You had someone in ownerships ear say he could do a better job and here we are 😖

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Sorry guys there was a missing phrase in the title

"byfield extension [WITH ANOTHER TEAM] soon"
Please don’t manifest this

IMG_6402.jpeg

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The cap picture isn’t likely to change between now and camp. Byfield and Spence are competing for the remaining dollars. Given their relative positions, you assume Spence is incentivized to sign first.

Blakey is in a log jam here. These two won’t be easy. He’s not going to get an assist from either party or at least one would be already signed.

I can see management being butt hurt that their team friendly offers are being rebutted after clearing up the spots occupied by Pierre Luc and Roy. I’m sure Byfield and Spence don’t want to play in those spots at a massive discount just to do the team a favor.

I think it’s less than 50/50 both are signed by the start of camp and the Kings stay under the regular season cap limit. No way does Rob Blake go into camp needing to shed salary. He doesn’t have the wherewithal to manage that kind of situation.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The cap picture isn’t likely to change between now and camp. Byfield and Spence are competing for the remaining dollars. Given their relative positions, you assume Spence is incentivized to sign first.

Blakey is in a log jam here. These two won’t be easy. He’s not going to get an assist from either party or at least one would be already signed.

I can see management being butt hurt that their team friendly offers are being rebutted after clearing up the spots occupied by Pierre Luc and Roy. I’m sure Byfield and Spence don’t want to play in those spots at a massive discount just to do the team a favor.

I think it’s less than 50/50 both are signed by the start of camp and the Kings stay under the regular season cap limit. No way does Rob Blake go into camp needing to shed salary. He doesn’t have the wherewithal to manage that kind of situation.
Why would they take a discount? Blake just gave max deals to Foegele and Edmundson, bent over backwards to sign Kopitar a year early to a max deal, Fiala and Dubois to max deals before they even suited up, Petersen and Gavrikov to the max deals, etc…
And they see Kempe take less as the best player on the team and Vilardi traded and getting a nice raise elsewhere.
All their peers from their drafts and buddies are multimillionaires now and they are expected to take minimum deals.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Why would they take a discount? Blake just gave max deals to Foegele and Edmundson, bent over backwards to sign Kopitar a year early to a max deal, Fiala and Dubois to max deals before they even suited up, Petersen and Gavrikov to the max deals, etc…
And they see Kempe take less as the best player on the team and Vilardi traded and getting a nice raise elsewhere.
All their peers from their drafts and buddies are multimillionaires now and they are expected to take minimum deals.
Agreed. Only a sycophant would expect a stud to sell themself on the cheap. It’s clearly bucks for scrubs and plaques for hacks in hockey town LA.

Reactions: Schmooley

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If Byfield isn’t the 1C next season this team is cooked.

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe

This line has to work otherwise we are not making the playoffs. Don’t give me that Laferriere bullshit.

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Turcotte - Kopitar - Moore
Foegele - Danault - Fagemo
Jeannot - Thomas - Laferriere

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024

Wow just think if they had not signed Edmundson to that stupid ass contract or more of what like $1.5x 3 and if there were other teams as stupid as 3.8 then u walk away, but we have dumb management . We would then have money to actually upgrade and sign Qb to longer deal with maybe some left over.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Still betting Spence gets traded due to 'unreasonable salary demands' with Kaliyev and next year's first for some 30 year old vanilla C
Clarke, Spence, Doughty
Who's getting the PP time?

Spence getting booted off PP2 will greatly effect future earnings.
Clarke not getting PP time would be a joke.
Doughty not getting PP time? Can't have that.

symbology

Jun 17, 2009

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe

This line has to work otherwise we are not making the playoffs. Don’t give me that Laferriere bullshit.

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Yes, but...... The team is already cooked.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
QB isn't a first line center. He is a 3rd line center with talent to be a 2nd line center. My guess Kings go with (Fiala-QB-Thomas/Foegele) on the third line. (Laffy-Kopi-Kempe) first line.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
QB isn't a first line center. He is a 3rd line center with talent to be a 2nd line center. My guess Kings go with (Fiala-QB-Thomas/Foegele) on the third line. (Laffy-Kopi-Kempe) first line.

I definitely disagree with that assessment. As it stands, I think Byfield could have easily shifted to our 2C last season and needs to take another step forward this season. He was 60th in scoring among forwards last season, and that was only averaging 16:30 minutes per game. Kopitar only outscored him by 15 points with an extra 3:00 minutes per game (and Kopitar was shooting at 20% last season). It would not surprise me if those point totals followed the ice time distribution next season, were the roles to be reversed.

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Moore - Kopitar - Laferriere
Jeannot - Turcotte - Thomas
Lewis

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Edmundson - Spence
Burroughs

Kuemper
Rittich

This is probably the best lineup we can ice right now.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
we haven't seen him at NHL center at all so projecting him low is fair imo. don't get me wrong, i love the kid but throwing him into mcdavid/draisaitl matchups right now is development suicide

give him cake matchups at 3C, let him see what being an NHL center is all about for a few months and see what you got at the break. maybe use him as a stacking tool on wing in the way the oilers sometimes load up mcdavid with draisaitl. i think people too casually bump danault down to the 3rd line too, he's incredibly valuable as that 2C stopper, you're not maximizing his utility when you play him in depth. there's consequences to just writing QB in as 1C. have to remember too, this is an NHL coach we're talking about, he's not playing kopitar on the 3rd line..

all that said, this shouldn't even be a conversation because blake f***ed the PLD football. right now, we SHOULD HAVE already known what QB AND turc are at NHL center but as with everything else, that can was kicked down the road and here we are at the can again

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
we haven't seen him at NHL center at all so projecting him low is fair imo. don't get me wrong, i love the kid but throwing him into mcdavid/draisaitl matchups right now is development suicide

give him cake matchups at 3C, let him see what being an NHL center is all about for a few months and see what you got at the break. maybe use him as a stacking tool on wing in the way the oilers sometimes load up mcdavid with draisaitl. i think people too casually bump danault down to the 3rd line too, he's incredibly valuable as that 2C stopper, you're not maximizing his utility when you play him in depth. there's consequences to just writing QB in as 1C. have to remember too, this is an NHL coach we're talking about, he's not playing kopitar on the 3rd line..

all that said, this shouldn't even be a conversation because blake f***ed the PLD football. right now, we SHOULD HAVE already known what QB AND turc are at NHL center but as with everything else, that can was kicked down the road and here we are at the can again

can't play the kids, its preseason and we have to establish the roster

can't play the kids, its early in the season and they're not ready, have to set the tone

can't play the kids, we're getting buried right now, need the vets to steady the ship before we let them loose

cant play the kids, too many injuries, they'll be exposed higher in the lineup

can't play the kids, these games are meaningful now, we need every point

can't play the kids, literally every point counts, these are essentially playoff games

can't play the kids, it's the playoffs and they're not ready

maybe next year

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
To be clear, I’m not saying Byfield can be the 1C. I’m saying that if he can’t be the 1C, we are f***ed.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
At one point during the season, I would hope to see Kopitar nurse Turcotte like he did with Byfield.

Turcotte- Kopitar - Kempe
Foegele - Byfield - Fiala
Moore- Danault - Laferriere
Jeannot - Thomas - Lewis
Fagemo\Kaliyev?

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Edmundson - Spence
Burroughs

Kuemper
Rittich

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
At one point during the season, I would hope to see Kopitar nurse Turcotte like he did with Byfield.

Turcotte- Kopitar - Kempe
Foegele - Byfield - Fiala
Moore- Danault - Laferriere
Jeannot - Thomas - Lewis
Fagemo\Kaliyev?

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Edmundson - Spence
Burroughs

Kuemper
Rittich
I'd be okay with this other than Lewis. If Kaliyev stays than he needs to be with Kopitar or Byfield for the whole year or until a trade. Then you can put Turcotte on the 3rd or 4th line

Reactions: Schrute farms

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Yes, but...... The team is already cooked.
Yes they are and unfortunately that will be the case as long as the 3 headed monster are here.

I'd be okay with this other than Lewis. If Kaliyev stays than he needs to be with Kopitar or Byfield for the whole year or until a trade. Then you can put Turcotte on the 3rd or 4th line
Looks fine, but man that Lewis signing😣, much rather have Laffy there and try Fagemo with Danault to start

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I think people forget that QB has already been playing against extremely tough comp.

I don't think it really matters much how we pencil in the top 3 center spots or lines on paper. It'll just be 3 scoring lines and a 4th line.

Although, I will say, if the Kings are struggling I could see Byfield moved back to Kopitar's wing because that line worked so well. Could be a Driasaitl-like situation where they move him to McDavid's wing when they're desperate for a goal.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
2 year deal is perfect. He hasn’t put together a full season yet but he has definitely approved . Pay him like he has arrived not like he has been here all along.

Reactions: Wildturkey12

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I could go either way. I think if you can match the Juraj Slafkovsky deal, you take it. He is the player you bet on and if you fail the whole team fails anyway. I can also see a bridge deal which is less risk but may end up costing the team much more in the long run, but I can see it as the likely route Blake will take now that he handed out the dumb deals he has and he is looking to "compete" here the next two seasons...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad