Proposal: Buyouts (Grabovski)

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
With Grabovski over paid and not producing at a 5 million dollar player would you consider buying him out and spending your money on Bozak or a 1C free agent? I personally would buy out Grabovski and Komisarek but wait until the end of next year for Grabovski to give him a chance to justify his cap. What does everyone think?

And just who do you think you'll land in FA thats going to be better than grabo at 5m?

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Bozak is NEVER a liability on the ice. Add to that the fact that he occasionally sets up/scores beauties and always covers for the D and he's a really legit player.
He might not be a "#1 center" but he's definitely a center that can play on a first line.

"NEVER a liability"? Last night he failed a pretty big assignment that led to the Bruins1st goal which then got blamed on Holzer. He's made multiple no-look behind-the-back passes that always leads to an odd man rush the other way, he does NOT create space for his line etc. He may not be a big liability defensively, but offensively he's a huge liability. His FO's have also been dropping.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Bozak has 14 points in 25 games(46 point pace)

no way he gets less than 4 million a year

that's horrible production for a player getting top line minutes with an all star right winger... Put him on the 3rd line and he likely is a 30-40 point player... 3 million max. I wouldn't go above 3...

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Liles is tradable and on a reasonable contract, makes 0 sense to buy him out. Komi is a buy-out-boy I think.

call me crazy, but I think both will be traded, sure the Leafs will have to eat some of Komi's contract, but thats not too bad. Connelly could be traded too, if the leafs will eat some of that contract also.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I don't understand why any of you would consider buying him out when we have no one to replace him

:help:

seriously, if we somehow can get a better centre, then you consider something like this... but as of now he's what we have. You realize if we buy him out we have no one to give his money too and David Steckel will be in the line up on a regular basis? If eventually we need the cap space - sure this makes sense... but as of now its stupid to even consider it.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
call me crazy, but I think both will be traded, sure the Leafs will have to eat some of Komi's contract, but thats not too bad. Connelly could be traded too, if the leafs will eat some of that contract also.

Why? His contract is over at the end of the year and he's not exactly going to get us anything significant.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
i would surprised if bozak doent get at least 4 million

Zayjak is getting 5.75

He's bigger, better defensively and has put up multiple 60 point seasons. Make no mistake, Zajac is struggling this year, but he is still a much better hockey player than Grabovski.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
For those being dramatic about Grabo just wait till Bozak gets a significant pay increase and I guarantee we'll see silly threads like these on him.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
If Grabovski isn't traded then I think he is bought out. People think Komisarek is the for sure buyout, but he only has 1 year left on his bad contract. Grabovski has 4 more years and is overpaid by at least $3 million. I don't think any teams will take on his contract unless they're sending us a bad contract back in return.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
This is a very good suggestion. Let's buy out and give all his money to a real performer like Kessel who shows up in big games.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I haven't seen him play without Kessel for so long that i'm not entirely convinced he is a second line center.

I don't think he is.

He's Dominic Moore 2.0. A very versatile player with great wheels, good hockey sense but doesn't have strong offensive talents. He's ideally a very good 3rd liner.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
"NEVER a liability"? Last night he failed a pretty big assignment that led to the Bruins1st goal which then got blamed on Holzer. He's made multiple no-look behind-the-back passes that always leads to an odd man rush the other way, he does NOT create space for his line etc. He may not be a big liability defensively, but offensively he's a huge liability. His FO's have also been dropping.
He was awfully weak on a couple of those Ottawa goals on Wednesday as well. I like Bozak but not enough that I hope the Leafs don't overpay to re-sign him.

Prototype

Nov 7, 2011
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Grabo gets no love around here. He's been asked to play defense, and lack of production is the result of this role he has been asked to play.

Teams win when players buy into a system, and that involves playing the role you are given. Grabo is doing what the coach has ordered, and that usually results in less offense.

Let's look at the stats.

Offensive Zone Starts:
DAVIDSTECKEL - 69.4%
NAZEMKADRI - 50.8%
TYLERBOZAK - 45.6%
MIKHAILGRABOVSKI - 33.6%
JAYMCCLEMENT - 31.7%

Let's simulate their current pace for a full 82 game season, it would look something like this:

Name / Offensive Starts / Defensive Starts / Difference

Nazem Kadri / 353 / 299 / 54
Tyler Bozak / 369 / 402 / -33
Jay McClement / 297 / 467 / -170
Mikhail Grabovski / 254 / 549 / -295

If we trade him, we'll have to find someone to replace what we just lost. Is he worth the money he's being paid? I think so, but others can choose to disagree

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
He's bigger, better defensively and has put up multiple 60 point seasons. Make no mistake, Zajac is struggling this year, but he is still a much better hockey player than Grabovski.

Grabovski is a better skater, has a better shot and isnt bad defencively

there isnt a big gap between them

Bozak also isnt as good as Zajak but if Zajak got 5.75, Bozak will get at least 4 million

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
He was awfully weak on a couple of those Ottawa goals on Wednesday as well. I like Bozak but not enough that I hope the Leafs don't overpay to re-sign him.

His highest FO win% in the past 5 games has been 50%, not exactly stellar for our face-off wizard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad