Speculation: Buyout candidates

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He's probably closer to a 2.5M player, 3M at the most if someone got desperate.

If he is bought out he gets something around $3M

He still can play defensive checking line center. Those are budgeted around $3.5M

When comparing a buy out of around $4M spread over 6 yrs, would Columbus retain $1.4M on him forjudt 3 yrs?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would guess the only longshot candidate for the Predators would be Kyle Turris. But he's still too good a player, and the hit would be for 8 years, plus the Preds have no actual cap constraints. So it would shock me if they actually did buy him out. There's no real obstacle to just playing him another year and seeing what happens if it comes to that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Zack Smith for Chicago.

I think Olli Maatta proved enough during the playoffs that he can be moved with no retention. The Hawks aren't going to get much in return, but he still has value.

Reactions: qqaz

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I think you will see some more buyouts than expected from teams with tight cap space.

Many on here are saying...I’ll be able to give away this $5M cap hit for fair value.

Columbus could buy out Wennberg at1/3 as a 25 yr old. This will open up $4M in space.

I sure hope Jackets do this, and Jets can scoop him up. I think he would work nice as a 2c and let his quality wingers roam free and he just covers up and do some quick passing.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
If he is bought out he gets something around $3M

He still can play defensive checking line center. Those are budgeted around $3.5M

When comparing a buy out of around $4M spread over 6 yrs, would Columbus retain $1.4M on him forjudt 3 yrs?
I can't see Columbus buying out Wennberg. Tortorella seems to like him and gives him a lot of ice time.

I could see them trading him while his stock is a bit higher than it was though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think you will see some more buyouts than expected from teams with tight cap space.

Many on here are saying...I’ll be able to give away this $5M cap hit for fair value.

Columbus could buy out Wennberg at1/3 as a 25 yr old. This will open up $4M in space.
Buyout options will also depend on the structure of the contracts. If a player had either front loaded money or signing bonus money, there isn't much cap savings that you can get to shift those savings (after you replace the roster spot with a $900K player), to someone else.

For example, Backes, he was due a $1 mill SB and $3 mill in salary, meaning he was paid $2 mill more so far over his cap hit. A June buyout, could mean that the Ducks would take a $2 mill cap hit next season for the extra that he was already paid, plus the $1 mill SB, plus 1/3 of the remaining salary, so another $1 mill, leaving $4 mill in dead cap, thus $2 mill in cap savings, but the salary for a replacement player is say $900K, so only saving $1.1 mill give or take to shift to another player.

Now if Backes was evenly paid, that would mean a $2 mill dead space, plus $900K to replace him. So, you then have $3.1 mill to slide to another player. That's an extra $2 mill. Big difference. Thus the phrase, buyout proof contract.

Buyouts work best if it is on players who have cap hit equal to salary or back loaded contracts.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
0. I highly doubt with how many teams are bleeding money we will see them just set some on fire.
Depends on each individual team. Some teams would because the owner is prepared to eat it.

But, I think that a percentage of teams with lots of cap space won't be using it and actual pay out cash to pick up players, like Ottawa, unless they are covered by LTIR insurance. From what we have seen of Hossa, Bolland and others, teams still need to pay around 20% of the contract even if it is insured. So, you are paying that out, plus paying to fill out a roster spot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Depends on each individual team. Some teams would because the owner is prepared to eat it.

But, I think that a percentage of teams with lots of cap space won't be using it and actual pay out cash to pick up players, like Ottawa, unless they are covered by LTIR insurance. From what we have seen of Hossa, Bolland and others, teams still need to pay around 20% of the contract even if it is insured. So, you are paying that out, plus paying to fill out a roster spot.

Ownership is likely going to be eating millions. Good luck getting them to eat even more.

I'd be surprised if any team is making money from this season or next tbh.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buyout options will also depend on the structure of the contracts. If a player had either front loaded money or signing bonus money, there isn't much cap savings that you can get to shift those savings (after you replace the roster spot with a $900K player), to someone else.

For example, Backes, he was due a $1 mill SB and $3 mill in salary, meaning he was paid $2 mill more so far over his cap hit. A June buyout, could mean that the Ducks would take a $2 mill cap hit next season for the extra that he was already paid, plus the $1 mill SB, plus 1/3 of the remaining salary, so another $1 mill, leaving $4 mill in dead cap, thus $2 mill in cap savings, but the salary for a replacement player is say $900K, so only saving $1.1 mill give or take to shift to another player.

Now if Backes was evenly paid, that would mean a $2 mill dead space, plus $900K to replace him. So, you then have $3.1 mill to slide to another player. That's an extra $2 mill. Big difference. Thus the phrase, buyout proof contract.

Buyouts work best if it is on players who have cap hit equal to salary or back loaded contracts.

I know

Boychuk has his contract with bonus money fguven the lasts few years hurting buyouts while I think zturris contract is no signing bonus and flat real salary as is weenburg so buyouts have similar structure.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ownership is likely going to be eating millions. Good luck getting them to eat even more.

I'd be surprised if any team is making money from this season or next tbh.
I think owners will spend to keep their key guys, like Barzal for the Isles.

But, say a team like Vancouver, keeping Tanev/Toffoli who are not key core players (good support players) likely need to be sacrificed rather than spend more money to get rid of guys that they have already front loaded contracts to.

With 20-21 season likely to be a shortened season and unknown if or how many fans can attend games could very well see owners say, I'd give up a chance to win next season, to right our books.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
gotta think alzner is bought out

I think there is the chance of him being bought out are close to zero.

Mtl would save just as much just having him in the AHL next year.

I think its likely he gets bought out next summer, but I also can see him getting traded.

He got paid his July 1st bonus, and has about 5.5M to be paid in real cash for the next 2 years but that cap hit of about 9.3M. Teams like the Sens love that stuff.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think there is the chance of him being bought out are close to zero.

Mtl would save just as much just having him in the AHL next year.

I think its likely he gets bought out next summer, but I also can see him getting traded.

He got paid his July 1st bonus, and has about 5.5M to be paid in real cash for the next 2 years but that cap hit of about 9.3M. Teams like the Sens love that stuff.
Sens are at like $42 mill commitment next season for just 9 roster players. Floor is low $60’s. Should easily reach the floor to fill out the remaining 14 roster spots. Guys like Brown, Duclair, Thierney need new deals which should combine for just under $10 mill. So for 11 more guys and around another $10 or $11 mill To spend the SNES don’t have to overpay anyone in real cash that they don’t need to.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Sens are at like $42 mill commitment next season for just 9 roster players. Floor is low $60’s. Should easily reach the floor to fill out the remaining 14 roster spots. Guys like Brown, Duclair, Thierney need new deals which should combine for just under $10 mill. So for 11 more guys and around another $10 or $11 mill To spend the SNES don’t have to overpay anyone in real cash that they don’t need to.

Im generally speaking more than anything. So maybe the Sens aren't team, but who knows, Maybe FLA who are looking to cut payroll.. And it could not just be for this summer, next summer too. At some point, if you not at the floor, instead of signing an ex 4.5M player for 1 year to reach it, your better get Alzner for that 4.5M cap hit but only 2.5M cash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad