Buffalo - worst drafting team in the last 10 years

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't know if bad drafting but certainly bad player development. Seems like few Sabres draftees have really become difference makers. Worse IMO, is the signing of underproducing UFAs, or paying too much for RFAs.
Poor drafting, poor player development, poor cap management, coaching, management changes, the recipe for a out of the playoff team for years, and more to come.
Leafs had this problem for years, it always some teams that get caught in this futility cycle.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
A bitch and complain thread about buffalo being the worst drafting ... until 15 other teams fans come in an say ... um no, my team is just as bad if not worse.
Nice research OP ... nice!

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
A ***** and complain thread about buffalo being the worst drafting ... until 15 other teams fans come in an say ... um no, my team is just as bad if not worse.
Nice research OP ... nice!

But...but...I know that all of our picks are busting even though I don't even watch the ones that aren't in Buffalo anymore!

Reactions: ZZamboni

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
But...but...I know that all of our picks are busting even though I don't even watch the ones that aren't in Buffalo anymore!

Yup. And the ones who are still developing will most certainly underperform, underdevelop, and be busts or a massive disappointment in their own right.

Draaaaammaaaaaa!

:sarcasm:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
IMO the best (or worst) is Edmonton..

Oilers first rounders:
2007 - Sam Gagner (6), Alex Plante (15), Reily Nash (21)
2008 - Jordan Eberle (22)
2009 - Magnus Paajarvi (10)
2010 - Taylor Hall (1)
2011 - RNH (1), Oscar Klefbom (19)
2012 - Nail Yakupov (1)
2013 - Darnel Nurse (7)
2014 - Leon Draisaitl (3)
2015 - Connor McDavid (1)
2016 - Jesse Puljujarvi (4)

... and nothing .. OMG ...
you used the first round to prove the Oilers are horrible at drafting? odd choice

I see a ton of NHLers on that list...and you failed to mention the 2004 draft which yielded Devan Dubnyk, and the 2005 draft which yielded Cogliano...two excellent picks
Oilers first rounds haven't been bad at all...it's the later rounds which are awful

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
you used the first round to prove the Oilers are horrible at drafting? odd choice

I see a ton of NHLers on that list...and you failed to mention the 2004 draft which yielded Devan Dubnyk, and the 2005 draft which yielded Cogliano...two excellent picks
Oilers first rounds haven't been bad at all...it's the later rounds which are awful
I thought that so many great drafts did not mean anything to the team's success.
That's why I wrote best (or worst)..

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
It's not just drafting, Buffalo seems to be one of the more poorly run teams in general. Before the current ownership took over Buffalo a "budget" team that punched above it's weight. Now they aren't afraid to spend money, but nothing seems to go right.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It's not just drafting, Buffalo seems to be one of the more poorly run teams in general. Before the current ownership took over Buffalo a "budget" team that punched above it's weight. Now they aren't afraid to spend money, but nothing seems to go right.
If you can't draft and develop in this league you are going nowhere. Most winning teams are based on draft success. And we can't draft for shit..

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Colorado seems to be happy with the progression of Zadorov and Compher, both of whom appear to be important pieces of their future. Nice try though.
Yeah, quite a nice little try to throw shades at guys they traded away. Z and especially JTC have looked good thus far.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Drafting is a crap shoot except for the first 3 picks in most normal drafts. No team is going to get every pick right. They are drafting kids, there is no way to know how they will develop, foretelling Injuries, or who will be ahead of them on a depth chart.....

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Canucks have appeared to turn things around a fair bit on the draft front of late, so they're not a contender for "worst in the last 10 years". But they had an absolutely ghastly black hole of a drafting record from ~2005-2012. Literally the only quality NHLers they pulled from those drafts to make any real impact with the Vancouver Canucks were Mason Raymond in '05, and Ben Hutton in '12. Of course, one of their 1st round picks dying in a tragic motorcycle accident didn't help. Grabner from '06 has materialized into a pretty solid NHLer, but had effectively zero impact before being bounced out of the organization for basically nothing. But that's it. That's all. Staggeringly poor record.

That period has to be the worst i can think of around the league. 8 Full Drafts - only Mason Raymond and Ben Hutton to show for them. That's just utterly hopeless drafting. And the Canucks have obviously felt the impact of that near decade of nothingness from the draft, in the form of a particularly rocky "rebuild" transition, and a particularly sharp decline from prominence when there was literally nothing coming down the pipeline in the way of young players to bolster their aging core.

But Buffalo really have been terrible in their own right, over the last 10 years. Though it's less about listing specific names that they "missed out on" along with numerous other teams. It's about the overall lack of success, and the fact that they haven't really managed to consistently put productive players on the ice with what has been a pretty high volume of Top-90 picks.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
A lot of NHLers there and a good amount of NHL games relative to draft positions and what to statistically expect. I call this solid drafting.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
IMO the best (or worst) is Edmonton..

Oilers first rounders:
2007 - Sam Gagner (6), Alex Plante (15), Reily Nash (21)
2008 - Jordan Eberle (22)
2009 - Magnus Paajarvi (10)
2010 - Taylor Hall (1)
2011 - RNH (1), Oscar Klefbom (19)
2012 - Nail Yakupov (1)
2013 - Darnel Nurse (7)
2014 - Leon Draisaitl (3)
2015 - Connor McDavid (1)
2016 - Jesse Puljujarvi (4)

... and nothing .. OMG ...

Are you saying that Oilers have not drafted an NHL player outside of the 1st round since 2007? That cannot be true. Is that true?

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Are you saying that Oilers have not drafted an NHL player outside of the 1st round since 2007? That cannot be true. Is that true?
No. The only thing I wanted to say is the number of quality players drafted by Oilers for 10 years .. How many times were they in the play off between 2007-2016?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Depends on your definition of "NHL player"...

2013: Anton Slepyshev - 67GP
2012: Jujhar Khaira - 45GP | Erik Gustafsson 41GP
2011: Tobias Rieder - 269GP
2010: Tyler Pitlick - 90GP | Martin Marincin - 175GP | Brandon Davidson - 119GP
2009: Anton Lander - 215GP
2008: Teemu Hartikainen - 52GP
2007: Linus Omark - 79GP
2006: Jeff Petry - 478GP | Theo Peckham - 160GP
2005: Taylor Chorney - 161GP | Danny Syvret - 59GP | Chris VandeVelde - 278GP

I mean that's basically just Jeff Petry. Damn some of those picks were only a few spots removed from the 1st round too lol.

Last edited:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
No. The only thing I wanted to say is the number of quality players drafted by Oilers for 10 years .. How many times were they in the play off between 2007-2016?

Yeah, I see. It's not much.

Not sure what we learned from all of this... One the one hand Buffalo is a poor drafting team, on the other hand - so is Edmonton. I guess the moral of the story is, if you suck at drafting and developing, you should try and get your hands on many first round picks.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

All the later round picks that worked out play for different teams last year we had pitlick? This year slepy and Jj ? But I agree that listing first rounders is a bad way to criticize edm they pretty much picked who they were supposed to any time they had a good pick other than maybe drai instead of Bennett? Maybe yakupov because the owner didn’t agree with the scouts

Last edited:

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
I'm afraid that if Draisaitl were drafted by Sabers, it would be like Reinhart.

I disagree. Yes, Draisaitl or Nylander would likely face more adversity in Buffalo and score less but both played a role in turning around struggling franchises. Ehlers too. Sam is counted on to do the same and he seems unable.

Leon could end up like Landeskog, a fluke year and its back to mediocrity or worse, and Reinhart has all the signs of a late(r) bloomer but i'm looking at this in terms of what players have shown to be able to do, not might do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad