Proposal: Buffalo/Washington Blockbuster

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Not quite sure I understand why Buffalo does this?
your comment makes me so sad. are we really so divided that we can't stop to help out our fellow man? buffalo is being charitable, and you can't understand why? how did the world come to this?

OP i applaud your proposal, and i believe in a better tomorrow where an act of generosity isn't met with scorn. trade accepted.

• Haha
Reactions: CTHabsfan

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Wow - I don't hate the pieces Buffalo is getting here, but man the Sabres are getting bent over. Penance for the last 13 years???

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I really don't think Strome is anywhere near the right target for Buffalo at center, he's pretty average defensively and can't carry a line, Washington has been a great fit for him. The value given up by Buffalo is bananas so Caps would have no choice but to accept

I do think Jensen would be a good target though, just simplify it to Jokiharju + 3rd for Jensen or something and look for a center elsewhere. Honestly if you're not getting the two-way 3C you need just sign someone like Monahan as a stopgap as opposed to paying through the teeth for Strome

Reactions: goach and Beerz

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
your comment makes me so sad. are we really so divided that we can't stop to help out our fellow man? buffalo is being charitable, and you can't understand why? how did the world come to this?

OP i applaud your proposal, and i believe in a better tomorrow where an act of generosity isn't met with scorn. trade accepted.
Well now I'm even more confused. I want to ask "lolz, are you new here?" but then I see you've been here since 2007 and have 24k posts.

• Haha
Reactions: MartyOwns

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Jensen had a bad year but he’s been terrific the last five seasons or so. Excellent skater, very good puck mover, effective at walking the line in the offensive zone and jumping into the cycle, and very good on the PK.

Dowd is one of the most respected 4Cs in the league and a RH shot which increases his value. Great contract for a team looking to improve their bottom six and PK for a run this year. Strome has been every bit a low-end 1C since he got to Washington and his contract is excellent value.

This may not be a trade the Sabres should make but acting like Buffalo is getting a bunch of spare parts is really misguided. I wouldn’t trade Strome unless it was an overpay — he’s developed into an excellent player and he’s making $5M/year for the next four seasons.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wow - I don't hate the pieces Buffalo is getting here, but man the Sabres are getting bent over. Penance for the last 13 years???

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: absolutely no fanbase loves making trade proposals offering twice or more what a player is actually worth like Sabres fans. It’s the psychic damage from the Tim Murray era, I’m pretty sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So why trade Mittelstadt for a LD that you guys have coming out the ass?
Because our GM is a sicko... Traded Reinhart, Eichel, Mittelstadt. He's traded our current top center three times. Added 0 centers.
The guy before him traded away ROR.

This is terrible asset mgmt.
The terrible management in general has created a desperate situation (if you care about winning).
I'm with op when it comes to overpaying but I would rather go for different players.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Caps will also stock your soda machines for 3 years. Caps say yes before buffalo finishes talking. None of the caps players are part of the future and they can sign something close to strome in fa if they need too.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I really don't think Strome is anywhere near the right target for Buffalo at center, he's pretty average defensively and can't carry a line, Washington has been a great fit for him. The value given up by Buffalo is bananas so Caps would have no choice but to accept

I do think Jensen would be a good target though, just simplify it to Jokiharju + 3rd for Jensen or something and look for a center elsewhere. Honestly if you're not getting the two-way 3C you need just sign someone like Monahan as a stopgap as opposed to paying through the teeth for Strome
No good UFA centers are signing in Buffalo. Everyone just says “just sign a UFA instead” but literally none are available to Buffalo.

Jensen is practically a cap dump. LOL Jokiharju is better. Dowd is horrible. They would make Buffalo worse. Strome is the whole deal. I don't even want the other two guys. Strome for the 1st and Krebs.
I literally disagree with every opinion you’ve ever had on hockey players so I’m not surprised we disagree here.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Glad you’re not teaching grammar
1718736582557.png

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Jensen had a bad year but he’s been terrific the last five seasons or so. Excellent skater, very good puck mover, effective at walking the line in the offensive zone and jumping into the cycle, and very good on the PK.

Actually at best he was mostly okay before last year and not worth his cap. He hits guys, which is what Buffalo needs. He barely hit anything last year, which Buffalo doesn't need. A bad year from a guy going downhill at 34, when season starts. I have a hard time seeing him actually better than Jokiharju who is less money and might have a tiny bit of upside under Ruff.

No good UFA centers are signing in Buffalo. Everyone just says “just sign a UFA instead” but literally none are available to Buffalo.

I literally disagree with every opinion you’ve ever had on hockey players so I’m not surprised we disagree here.

Go take a closer look at Jensen and tell me who is better than on current Buffalo D.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Actually at best he was mostly okay before last year and not worth his cap. He hits guys, which is what Buffalo needs. He barely hit anything last year, which Buffalo doesn't need. A bad year from a guy going downhill at 34, when season starts. I have a hard time seeing him actually better than Jokiharju who is less money and might have a tiny bit of upside under Ruff.
Jensen takes the body but he’s definitely not known for his physical play. His game is being a mobile and smart defenseman who is very good with his stick. No one who has watched Jensen consistently would say “he hits people” if asked how to describe his play. He’s very good at shot suppression and clearing the zone. Not sure if we’re talking about the same player here? His ceiling was never average at best and his game is not just hitting guys.

1718737395657.png

Reactions: Chainshot

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Jensen takes the body but he’s definitely not known for his physical play. His game is being a mobile and smart defenseman who is very good with his stick. No one who has watched Jensen consistently would say “he hits people” if asked how to describe his play. He’s very good at shot suppression and clearing the zone. Not sure if we’re talking about the same player here? His ceiling was never average at best and his game is not just hitting guys.

View attachment 883986
He hit a lot of guys two years ago compared to any Sabre. LOL. I don't see anything past 5, 6,7 depth d man in him, and he's a $4 M cap hit. If anyone wants to say he is a top 4, I guess they can. I question if he was waved and whether he gets claimed. Sometimes it's just about the cap not that the guy isn't serviceable in a third pair.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He hit a lot of guys two years ago compared to any Sabre. LOL. I don't see anything past 5, 6,7 depth d man in him, and he's a $4 M cap hit. If anyone wants to say he is a top 4, I guess they can. I question if he was waved and whether he gets claimed. Sometimes it's just about the cap not that the guy isn't serviceable in a third pair.
Hah, fair enough. I candidly don’t watch enough of Buffalo to know how he would compare with that team in the hits department.

Jensen was Orlov’s partner post-Niskanen and was every bit a top four guy. He’s not flashy or anything but he was able to take some of the tough minutes off Carlson. Jensen’s issues last year were the main reason Carlson had to play almost 30 minutes a night this season.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If they're going to trade that much, why not see if anyone will take that package for a center?

Leave Jensen and Dowd out of it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well Strome is not someone they’d want to move, so I figured Buffalo would need to pay through the nose to convince them to start the fuller tear-down a bit early. I wouldn’t offer nearly as much for just Jensen/Dowd.
Strome arguably has less "value" than Dowd/Jensen in this context

It literally addresses every need of Buffalo’s offseason. They’d just need to add a 4th line winger and then they'd have an actual NHL team for the first time in forever. That’s worth a lot to me
Sure Buffalo could use an upgrade on the back end and a great 4 th line guy but they really don't need Strike at all and that price is ridiculous and I say that respectfully.

If Buffalo wanted to package Kulich and the 11th they would be able to get way more value and a much better player than Strome.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

Well now I'm even more confused. I want to ask "lolz, are you new here?" but then I see you've been here since 2007 and have 24k posts.
Could your confusion be the result of a failure to recognize sarcasm?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
This is under the assumption that Washington is entering a retool/rebuild as the sun sets on Ovie's career. A lot of Washington fans think they're going to keep trying to make the playoffs and they're probably correct. But I think this would be the perfect time to start a Dallas-style rebuild, where they're back in like 2-3 years.

To Washington:
2024 1st (11th overall)
2025 2nd
Peyton Krebs
Henri Jokiharju
Jiří Kulich
To Buffalo:
Nick Jensen
Dylan Strome
Nic Dowd

With Kulich and 11th OA in the deal, buffalo is giving up the best two assets in what many feel is a top prospect pool, so it's painful from their side. I'm sure they'd prefer a 2025 1st or Ostlund/Savoie, but I wanted to try to make it realistic...still too light on the Buffalo side? Would adding one more asset from Buffalo help?
And you are a sabres fan?

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Yeah this is horrible

Giving up a high 1st, a 2nd, a good prospect, a 23 year old former 1st rounder, who could bounce back on a stable team, and joker who is a service-able bottom pairing defender (so five assets) for a 34 and 33 year old, two players who are worth maybe a two seconds but more likely a second and a third rounder, together, and Dylan strome who actually has value but not so much to make this deal anything remotely close to fair for buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad