Proposal: Buffalo/Tampa Bay

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
There’s no way in hell Buffalo trades Power for that. If he’s not viewed as close to untouchable, he’s certainly viewed in a light that he’d only be dealt for a superstar. A package of expensive, solid, middle of the roster players sure ain’t that.
Then throw the 11th pick on top of that just for good measure lmao.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Given where Tampa would want to likely improve, if Cirelli was on the table, something around Byram would probably need to be in the works. If Tampa was talking with another team, and some of the picks/prospects mentioned above could be used to obtain a different top 4 caliber dman, sure. If not, knowing that Power isn't realistically available, it would have to be around Byram or Tampa would either just keep Cirelli or look elsewhere.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Given where Tampa would want to likely improve, if Cirelli was on the table, something around Byram would probably need to be in the works. If Tampa was talking with another team, and some of the picks/prospects mentioned above could be used to obtain a different top 4 caliber dman, sure. If not, knowing that Power isn't realistically available, it would have to be around Byram or Tampa would either just keep Cirelli or look elsewhere.
Byram

for

Cirelli
Cernak

or is 11 too future-thinking of an add for a vet back?

also, *something* for Jeannot could be of interest, I just don't know what *something* is.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm going full Bernmeister:

Cirelli
Cernak
Jeannot

For

11th overall 2024
Rosén
2025 2nd
Krebs
Jokiharju
Modifying:

Cirelli
Cernak
Jeannot

For

11th overall 2024
Byram
2025 2nd
Greenway
Jokiharju

Cirelli - Byram
11 + Jokiharju - Cernak
Greenway + 2nd-2025 - Jeannot

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Modifying:

Cirelli
Cernak
Jeannot

For

11th overall 2024
Byram
2025 2nd
Greenway
Jokiharju

Cirelli - Byram
11 + Jokiharju - Cernak
Holy overpayment, are you even a Sabres fan. Jeannot has been terrible the last 2 seasons, Tampa would move him for next to nothing. Also, I think you're overvaluing Cernak

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Holy overpayment, are you even a Sabres fan. Jeannot has been terrible the last 2 seasons, Tampa would move him for next to nothing. Also, I think you're overvaluing Cernak
Cernak would be a better fit to the D for what we need than Byram, despite Byram being excellent.

Cirelli is obviously the prize, if anything, I'm kicking in extra due to him.

We need a Jeannot. Guys run Dahlin, Power too often, and we don't have guys to answer the bell. Tanner on the 4th line would be perfect.

I don't think it's Buffalo overpaying at all. Also, Buffalo in part is paying for some championship experience.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Cernak would be a better fit to the D for what we need than Byram, despite Byram being excellent.

Cirelli is obviously the prize, if anything, I'm kicking in extra due to him.

We need a Jeannot. Guys run Dahlin, Power too often, and we don't have guys to answer the bell. Tanner on the 4th line would be perfect.

I don't think it's Buffalo overpaying at all. Also, Buffalo in part is paying for some championship experience.
I don't disagree that someone like Jeannot is needed, I strongly disagree that he would return Greenway and a 2nd. I would be hard pressed moving more than a 4th for him as Tampa wants to clear salary and he's not worth his contract

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Modifying:

Cirelli
Cernak
Jeannot

For

11th overall 2024
Byram
2025 2nd
Greenway
Jokiharju

Cirelli - Byram
11 + Jokiharju - Cernak
The value is more than fair, but Tampa probably doesn't move Cernak unless they have a deal elsewhere set where they trade 11oa+something for another top 4 dman. Jokiharju also needs a new deal, and while I'm sure it wouldn't be a large number, Tampa will be needing all the space they can get. Since Tampa already has Raddysh and Crozier on the right for 5/6 types, not sure where Jokiharju fits tbh. He could be 3RD I suppose, but in the end I think Tampa would just prefer to have Hedman, Serg, Cernak and Byram as the top 4, with Raddysh, Lilleberg and Crozier as part of it.

If Tampa knew they could move 11oa as part of a deal to acquire someone in the range of Rasmus Anderson(if even available) or another top 4 guy, or alternatively, if Brisebois felt confident he could sign a ufa dman for no more than Cernak's hit, then maybe.

Tampa would definitely accept the Jeannot trade, but it is an overpay on Buffalo's part given the issues with Jeannot lately.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I was thinking about it more as a package where they get cheap depth and ammo to make a big trade (and cap space on top of that). It's more than what Buffalo got for ROR and Eichel, many players would waive their nmc/ntc for Tampa so they should be able to keep Jokiharju and Krebs and trade the rest for a real upgrade from one of Cernak/Cirelli.
How is that more than what Eichel got...Tuch alone would be more appealing to TB by a mile. I'll give you ROR mainly because at that time Thompson's value was considerably low.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I think Tim Murray traumatized this fanbase so badly that some still cant conceive of a Sabres trade where we don’t ship out ~twice as much value as we get back.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The value is more than fair, but Tampa probably doesn't move Cernak unless they have a deal elsewhere set where they trade 11oa+something for another top 4 dman. Jokiharju also needs a new deal, and while I'm sure it wouldn't be a large number, Tampa will be needing all the space they can get. Since Tampa already has Raddysh and Crozier on the right for 5/6 types, not sure where Jokiharju fits tbh. He could be 3RD I suppose, but in the end I think Tampa would just prefer to have Hedman, Serg, Cernak and Byram as the top 4, with Raddysh, Lilleberg and Crozier as part of it.

If Tampa knew they could move 11oa as part of a deal to acquire someone in the range of Rasmus Anderson(if even available) or another top 4 guy, or alternatively, if Brisebois felt confident he could sign a ufa dman for no more than Cernak's hit, then maybe.

Tampa would definitely accept the Jeannot trade, but it is an overpay on Buffalo's part given the issues with Jeannot lately.
Part of the overpay elsewhere was to lock the trade as a whole. Parting with Byram for Cirelli only makes sense for us if we have a notion of futures for a defensive right shot top 4 d, hence, trying to get cernak in this.

Made it further than I figured. It’s the kind of giant trade to shake up teams that people don’t do anymore. You guys could use some cheap young talent however, and we could use specific roles to be filled by veterans, ideally with a championship desire / mindset (Cirelli seems like exactly that)

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think Tim Murray traumatized this fanbase so badly that some still cant conceive of a Sabres trade where we don’t ship out ~twice as much value as we get back.
This isn’t Tim Murray’s Sabres. What did I just move that you think the majority of Sabres would be upset about? Byram?

I think the fanbase as a whole would be doing cartwheels. Assuming Tampa said yes, that trade gets us a massive upgrade at the center position, retains a top 4 d, and bottom of the lineup toughness, in exchange for 2 picks we don’t need to make, a good pker, a great d man who’s too similar to other d we have locked up, and Jokiharju, a decent bottom 4 d. That trade would be an insane win for Buffalo.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Part of the overpay elsewhere was to lock the trade as a whole. Parting with Byram for Cirelli only makes sense for us if we have a notion of futures for a defensive right shot top 4 d, hence, trying to get cernak in this.

Made it further than I figured. It’s the kind of giant trade to shake up teams that people don’t do anymore. You guys could use some cheap young talent however, and we could use specific roles to be filled by veterans, ideally with a championship desire / mindset (Cirelli seems like exactly that)
Yeah, and as long as Tampa felt fairly certain they could move 11+Jokiharju+something for a guy like Anderson, or JBB felt good about being able to replace Cernak with a potential ufa like.Roy, Walker, DeMelo etc., then that big package deal may be a possibility. If not though, I can't see Tampa making a lateral move in terms of defense where they'd still have a top 4 hole realistically and weakening the offense as well(although finding a winger to slot in with Hagel and Stamkos wouldn't be the most difficult proposition).

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Modifying:

Cirelli
Cernak
Jeannot

For

11th overall 2024
Byram
2025 2nd
Greenway
Jokiharju

Cirelli - Byram
11 + Jokiharju - Cernak
Remove Greenway for something else and ill jump aboard this crazy train. Guts our defensive depth a bit but whatever. I didnt want Joker back anyways (but that was only because of the byram trade which you threw out the window here).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Modifying:

Cirelli
Cernak
Jeannot

For

11th overall 2024
Byram
2025 2nd
Greenway
Jokiharju

Cirelli - Byram
11 + Jokiharju - Cernak
This is nuts

Greenway >> Jeannot
Jokiharju vs Cernak isnt that much different
Byram is above Cerelli based on c as p hit/ term
Corelli and cernak are overpaid snf have too much term

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, and as long as Tampa felt fairly certain they could move 11+Jokiharju+something for a guy like Anderson, or JBB felt good about being able to replace Cernak with a potential ufa like.Roy, Walker, DeMelo etc., then that big package deal may be a possibility. If not though, I can't see Tampa making a lateral move in terms of defense where they'd still have a top 4 hole realistically and weakening the offense as well(although finding a winger to slot in with Hagel and Stamkos wouldn't be the most difficult proposition).
Fair enough. There was a recent thread where 11 for Andersson was favorably discussed. I'm possibly in the minority for preferring Cernak just due to the element he brings that we lack.

This is nuts

Greenway >> Jeannot
Jokiharju vs Cernak isnt that much different
Byram is above Cerelli based on c as p hit/ term
Corelli and cernak are overpaid snf have too much term
1) sure, but price of getting other pieces
2) no, you're wrong.
3) we need a cirelli; im willing to 'lose' the overall value to shape the roster correctly.
4) not worried about cirelli's; cernak's could be a concern due to injuries and his style

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
How is that more than what Eichel got...Tuch alone would be more appealing to TB by a mile. I'll give you ROR mainly because at that time Thompson's value was considerably low.
Tuch isn't worth 11th overall.
Rosén is a good prospect.

11th overall
2nd round pick
Rosén
Krebs
Jokiharju

Beats
1st round pick
Tuch
Krebs
2nd round pick minus 3rd round pick

Now the value of the second package improved with Vegas bad season but the original deal wasn't better.

I'd also argue that the cap dump Jeannot and Cirellis lack of production compensates for not adding more to the deal even though Cernak is included.

Edit: I also think you overvalue Tuch based on his production for the Sabres. He was a 0.5 ppg middle six forward.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Modifying:

Cirelli
Cernak
Jeannot

For

11th overall 2024
Byram
2025 2nd
Greenway
Jokiharju

Cirelli - Byram
11 + Jokiharju - Cernak
I rather remove the cernak part

And Jeannot is not worth greenway and a 2nd but if JBB pulls that I have faith in him again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad