Proposal: Buffalo-Pittsburgh

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
To Buffalo:
D- Jeff Petry

To Pittsburgh:
RW- Viktor Olofsson
D- Jacob Bryson

1) would obviously be dependent on Petry waiving his NMC for Buffalo.

2) Pittsburgh gets a couple of solid pieces for around the same cap hit as Petry.

3) Buffalo gets a veteran that they don’t have on the back end to possibly pair with Power for a couple seasons.

4) if Pittsburgh fans prefer the cap space Bryson does not need to be involved, not sure of their D situation exactly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This seems awful for Pittsburgh. I've seen Sabres fans say how bad both of these guys are.

Olofsson is an ultra 1-dimensional offensive winger that would be sitting in the press box after about 2 games with Sullivan. Bryson is an overpaid depth D.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
To Buffalo:
D- Jeff Petry

To Pittsburgh:
RW- Viktor Olofsson
D- Jacob Bryson

2) Pittsburgh gets a couple of solid pieces for around the same cap hit as Petry.

3) Buffalo gets a veteran that they don’t have on the back end to possibly pair with Power for a couple seasons.

4) if Pittsburgh fans prefer the cap space Bryson does not need to be involved, not sure of their D situation exactly.
Olofsson could be one of the most useless 40 goal scorers in history with Pittsburgh with a -25 plus/mins and Jacob Bryson is 100% negative value now. And Sabres fan saying otherwise is in denial.

Petry is a nice fit but is contract is ridiculous and goes beyond next season.

It's a fair deal but I think Buffalo should retain 50% of Oloffson (we have the cap room) and really maximize his value. Get what picks you can for him and use those picks to get a better fit RD. Bryson can be stuffed in the minors as an #9 or #10 guy and see if he can recover some game. Someone claims him off waivers, you cheer.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Olofsson is immensely frustrating but there’s a good all-around winger locked somewhere in there. I don’t think he’s salvageable here but someone could buy cheap and benefit

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
This seems awful for Pittsburgh. I've seen Sabres fans say how bad both of these guys are.

Olofsson is an ultra 1-dimensional offensive winger that would be sitting in the press box after about 2 games with Sullivan. Bryson is an overpaid depth D.
I wouldn’t say terrible. Olofsson has 30 goal potential in Buffalo. Put him on a PP with Crosby & Malkin and watch him light it up.

He’s also much younger than Petry and has untapped upside.

As a side note, would something around UPL be more appealing?

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Sabres fans are just hard on their players

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I love Bryson's skating ability.

Olofsson is a finisher, we need that. He did score 21 even strength goals, not like all his goals are on the PP. He would greatly help our secondary scoring in the bottom 6.

i like this deal. Especially if we lose Zucker. Gives us atleast a capable top 6 winger for Malkin who can finish his passes.

Reactions: freester

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'm down as a Sabres fan if Pittsburgh retains 1.75 million on Petry, and Buffalo retains 2.375 million (1/2) on Olofsson and .925 million (1/2) on Bryson. Buffalo retains 3.3, Pitt 3.5, but Pitt splits over two years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn’t say terrible. Olofsson has 30 goal potential in Buffalo. Put him on a PP with Corsby & Mallon and watch him light it up.

He’s also much younger than Petry and has untapped upside.

As a side note,’would something around UPL be more appealing?

The Penguins need WAY better players than "shitty players but imagine what they can do with Crosby and Malkin" at this point. They need to surround Crosby and Malkin with actual talent, not heavily flawed players who might produce well if Crosby and Malkin are saddled with them.

I don't want to trade Petry regardless, but the deal in the OP wouldn't even get close to getting me to think about trading him. It's 2 unattractive pieces.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Both team should do it

Petry is an upgrade on both players, and it's a 6.5M$ that comes out in two years

Pittsburgh gets help for their tank and could maybe flip both of them players at next tdl, who knows

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
P
To Buffalo:
D- Jeff Petry

To Pittsburgh:
RW- Viktor Olofsson
D- Jacob Bryson

f*** no….you will regret this

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Olofsson scored 28 goals. He's not getting scratched. He just isn't great at driving play 5-v-5.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Petry is 35 years old. He still has some tread on the tires, but you aren't getting a 1st round pick in the low teens for him. Not a chance in hell.
“Buffalo is looking for a top 4 D”. Jeff Petry is a top 4 D. Didn’t say anything about it being straight up. If other assets need to be inserted then insert: I simply named the player requested by the OP.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
“Buffalo is looking for a top 4 D”. Jeff Petry is a top 4 D. Didn’t say anything about it being straight up. If other assets need to be inserted then insert: I simply named the player requested by the OP.

Would a Petry for Jokiharju deal have any interest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad