Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I realize there's no sports now. It's funny how often major league athletes in all 4 sports get surgery during the pre-season, but they almost never get it right after the playoffs end. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Save By Thomas

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Serious question;

Is TJ Surgery considered non-essential surgery during this crisis?

Honestly a really good question

I imagine they’ll be able to get him the surgery no problem seeing as how they have all the money in the world but I am curious to see how this would be classified

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Seems like if baseball is played this season that we are looking at:

1) Rodriguez
2) Eovaldi
3) Pérez
4) Johnson
5) Weber

I read a report that Johnson was back up to 93 and then I read another report after that from somebody at a sprint training game that had him at 89 in his last outing so idc... I just assume he still isn’t good until he proves otherwise

I gotta say- we picked a damn good year to run with this rotation lol

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Seems like if baseball is played this season that we are looking at:

1) Rodriguez
2) Eovaldi
3) Pérez
4) Johnson
5) Weber

I read a report that Johnson was back up to 93 and then I read another report after that from somebody at a sprint training game that had him at 89 in his last outing so idc... I just assume he still isn’t good until he proves otherwise

I gotta say- we picked a damn good year to run with this rotation lol

McHugh?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The playoffs are going to be lit this year though, since the pitchers and position players won't have the wear and tear of 162 games under them. Kershaw's going to be firing 103 MPH fastballs in the NLCS.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Outside of New England, I think Yaz' 1967 season is underrated. I think it's the 3rd greatest season of all time behind only Ruth's 1921 and 1923 seasons.

He won the Triple Crown that year, for the first time in quite awhile IIRC. My all time favorite Red Sox player.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Sale went to see Dr. James Andrews last August. He was told he didn't need surgery then.

Are the Red Sox supposed to overrule his medical opinion?

People keep forgetting too that in the end it was Sale's decision alone whether to have the surgery or to try alternatives to surgery to get the elbow to heal on its own. I can't and don't blame Chris Sale for trying everything he could (based on medical advice from one of the world's best orthopedic surgeons) to avoid surgery. After all it is his elbow, not the Red Sox' or the fans' though you might not know it from some of the comments here.

I wish Chris Sale a complete recovery and look forward to seeing him pitch again.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I looked at Ted Williams baseball reference page the other day and my goodness gracious.... imagine if he didn’t have to be a fighter pilot? Sheeeeeeeeesh

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So um if there was somehow no season at all how would that work for service time/contracts? Mookie still a free agent?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I looked at Ted Williams baseball reference page the other day and my goodness gracious.... imagine if he didn’t have to be a fighter pilot? Sheeeeeeeeesh

Fenway is also one of the toughest parks for left handed hitters. All those great yankees had that short porch in right field

Reactions: BMC

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
So um if there was somehow no season at all how would that work for service time/contracts? Mookie still a free agent?
Will MLB season ever begin? And how might that impact Mookie...

... Betts is 102 days shy of free-agent eligibility, and if a delayed or canceled season causes him to fall short, he would have to enter the open market at age 29 instead of 28. That’s a meaningful difference given teams’ emphasis on youth, and the fact Betts has made all of his business decisions up to this point assuming free agency in 2020. If the season is shortened, the number of games constituting a full season could be adjusted easily enough, but is that what’s going to happen?

[According to Ken] Rosenthal ... the ongoing talks between the league and players association:

Still, two people with knowledge of the talks said service time was the most contentious of the issues under discussion, mostly due to differences over how much time players would receive in the worst-case scenario – a canceled season. The union obviously would want the players to collect as much time as possible. The clubs, coming off a season of virtually no revenue, likely would push for relief on a variety of fronts.

Although the current situation with COVID-19 could tilt the advantage toward the Dodgers in relation to Mookie, there might be an advantage for the Sox as it relates to Price.

A shortened season is perhaps a more clear-cut windfall for the Red Sox regarding the other player they surrendered in the deal. To trade David Price, the Red Sox had to pay half of his salary each of his remaining three years. If the 2020 season is cut in half, then that’s a sunk cost for this year. The Red Sox could have paid Price $16 million not to pitch for them, or pay him $16 million not to pitch for the Dodgers. If the entire season is wiped out – assuming his contract through 2022 remains a contract through 2022 – then $32 million of the Red Sox payment, a full two-thirds of what they’re giving the Dodgers, will have been a sunk cost.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Imagine if the entire MLB season got wiped out, Mookie hit free agency never playing an inning in Dodger blue, then came back to the Red Sox to play alongside Verdugo and Downs.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Federal judge skeptical of Boston Red Sox claim team didn’t cheat; appears open to sign-stealing suit brought by DraftKings bettors

Swing and a miss by the Sox!

A federal judge scoffed Friday at a claim by an attorney for the Boston Red Sox that the team had not violated rules against sign-stealing — and appeared open to letting a suit over the scandal proceed.

DraftKings players sued Major League Baseball, the Red Sox and Houston Astros in January, claiming the sign-stealing scheme had cost them money. The suit seeks class action status.

The teams and MLB argued during a telephone hearing that the dispute should not be resolved in Manhattan Federal Court. But Judge Jed Rakoff appeared intrigued by explicit denials of cheating by Astros officials and the Red Sox.

“Do you admit that the Red Sox violated the rules?” Rakoff asked team attorney Lauren Moskowitz.

“We do not,” she replied, adding there was a disagreement between the MLB and Red Sox about “what happened at the club level.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Federal judge skeptical of Boston Red Sox claim team didn’t cheat; appears open to sign-stealing suit brought by DraftKings bettors

Swing and a miss by the Sox!

A federal judge scoffed Friday at a claim by an attorney for the Boston Red Sox that the team had not violated rules against sign-stealing — and appeared open to letting a suit over the scandal proceed.

DraftKings players sued Major League Baseball, the Red Sox and Houston Astros in January, claiming the sign-stealing scheme had cost them money. The suit seeks class action status.

The teams and MLB argued during a telephone hearing that the dispute should not be resolved in Manhattan Federal Court. But Judge Jed Rakoff appeared intrigued by explicit denials of cheating by Astros officials and the Red Sox.

“Do you admit that the Red Sox violated the rules?” Rakoff asked team attorney Lauren Moskowitz.

“We do not,” she replied, adding there was a disagreement between the MLB and Red Sox about “what happened at the club level.”
Wow, what a high priority for the legal system to be taking on right now

Never change, New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad