Confirmed Trade: [BUF/WSH] Beck Malenstyn for 2024 2nd round pick (43OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Malenstyn is a ferocious fore checker, fearless shot blocker to a fault, very fast skater, has very good writer, and is a poor passer. I’d say top flight 4th line but he doesn’t draw many penalties.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I officially do not understand how NHL teams value players i guess. Like...is there something about Beck Malenstyn that i don't know? Or a different Beck Malenstyn or something?

That 2nd rounder stands a very decent chance of being absolutely nothing. But in terms of the general economies of the NHL...i don't get it. A good Top-4RHD on a good contract with worth...2 second rounders. Beck Malenstyn is worth 1 very high one? This makes no sense.

Reactions: ceky

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Malenstyn is a good 4th liner. Cheap too, probably a tad underpaid. Maybe a 2nd is a bit of an overpay, but whatever, he’s still an RFA. If he works out and resigns long term it’s well worth a 2nd.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I watched Beck in Hershey for years. In fact I own a signed game used Beck Hershey Bears jersey I wore throughout our recent calder cup run! You're going to love the way he plays the game. He's one of the best shot blockers I've ever seen on the PK. He's feisty, physical and pretty fast. He's not going to give you a ton of offense but can handle his own in a cycle and isn't a black hole... just not much of a play driver. He won't throw 'em very often but can if he has to to stand up for a teammate. He's a high end 4th liner who isn't afraid to throw a big hit or take a big hit to make a play. I'd have a really hard time turning down a 1 for 1 deal of Hutson for Beck(which is what this ended up being) but man am I going to miss him. Take good care of him, he's a beaut.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I like it. Buffalo has a surplus of assets. Some times you have to pay a high value for a position of need.

Buffalo is flush with young talent. They lack players who bring it every night. Players that can play heavy D zone shifts, help flip if to the offensive zone, bang the body, and still put up 20 points.

A 2nd is great for Washington. They did very well, but Buffalo NEEDS another 4th liner like him, and relying on FA is risky because who the hell wants to play for the Buffalo Sabres?!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Low key a very nice addition for BUF. They need some forwards like this, with some size and jam.

When I've watched him play, he's flashed some underrated skill too.

Reactions: HOOats

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I watched a good video by a youtuber (I think it was Pinholes Graham) that talked about how key the '4th' line was for the capitals making the playoffs.

They started more shifts in the defensive zone (while playing lots against top lines) than any other lines in the NHL by far (those with large enough sample sizes to be compared) and performed incredibly.

The video spoke about how Malenstyn's speed and tenacity played an integral part in that line's success and that that line's success in shutting down opposing team's stars is probably the margin by which the Capitals made the playoffs.

The Sabres absolutely need some spine type players, i.e. not mercurial young talent, but guys whom you can count on to strap on the boots and do the grunt work at a high level. The Sabres also have an embarrassment of riches in teams of prospects and picks.

This seems like a good move for them. In fact, I'm curious whether the Capitals will feel his absence more than they expect.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I officially do not understand how NHL teams value players i guess. Like...is there something about Beck Malenstyn that i don't know? Or a different Beck Malenstyn or something?

That 2nd rounder stands a very decent chance of being absolutely nothing. But in terms of the general economies of the NHL...i don't get it. A good Top-4RHD on a good contract with worth...2 second rounders. Beck Malenstyn is worth 1 very high one? This makes no sense.
It’s not the same market. A good top 4 rhd is superfluous and makes too much money to be a 3rd pair rhd, so there is incentive to move him. He’s surplus. He’s being shopped. Malenstyn wasn’t being shopped, so the Sabres had to create the market by giving an incentive (perceived overpay) for Was to move. It’s basic economics.

Reactions: Archijerej

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I watched a good video by a youtuber (I think it was Pinholes Graham) that talked about how key the '4th' line was for the capitals making the playoffs.

They started more shifts in the defensive zone (while playing lots against top lines) than any other lines in the NHL by far (those with large enough sample sizes to be compared) and performed incredibly.

The video spoke about how Malenstyn's speed and tenacity played an integral part in that line's success and that that line's success in shutting down opposing team's stars is probably the margin by which the Capitals made the playoffs.

The Sabres absolutely need some spine type players, i.e. not mercurial young talent, but guys whom you can count on to strap on the boots and do the grunt work at a high level. The Sabres also have an embarrassment of riches in teams of prospects and picks.

This seems like a good move for them. In fact, I'm curious whether the Capitals will feel his absence more than they expect.
It hurt to trade Beck but we have some other players in Hershey ready to take his role and needed to added some prospects on D. For the Caps 4th line Trineyev, Sutter, and Frank all seem to be contenders for roster spots.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

This from a Caps fan, yes, we will miss him. He actually scored some really big goals this year.

Buffalo fans have lots to complain about, this shouldn’t be one of those instances. This guy will help you win games.

Best to Beck.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
@MarkusNaslund19
you're abso correct that WSH's 4th line was essential to get into the Playoffs
Dowd's been one of the best 4C's in the league for several years now and Malenstyn's been very good despite a cpl injuries the last 2 seasons

Dowd TOI/g 15:12
Malenstyn TOI/g 14:14
obv not 4th liner minutes

worth a 43rd pick? no, unless you don't have a 4th line banger in the system which it sounds like BUF doesn't, which is a bit odd, always thought every org had a cpl plug-and-play 4th liners (Caps have at least 2-3 in Hershey ready to come up)

Malenstyn's no unicorn, but has a great combo of size/speed/checking/compete/good attitude so he'll be solid for years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad