Proposal: BUF -SJS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GretzkytoLemieux

May 12, 2016
Does either team consider sonething like this?
Assuming Hertl would agree to waive the NMC and resign above market value?

To San Jose
Isak Rosen
Zemgus Girgensons
2022 1st (FLA)

To Buffalo
Tomas Hertl (agrees to resign for a healthy contract)

?

Was curious, grazie..

Last edited:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

To San Jose
Isak Rosen
Zemgus Girgensons
2022 1st (FLA)

To Buffalo

?

Was curious, grazie..
Good player but Sabres are keeping their picks and prospects this time - see last rebuild where they traded for mid 20s folks and it blew up in their face. I don’t see them trading anything meaningful until 2 years down the road

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016

To San Jose
Isak Rosen
Zemgus Girgensons
2022 1st (FLA)

To Buffalo

?

Was curious, grazie..
I’m not sure either team considers this deal but it’s a good proposal to ponder over.

San Jose should try to resign Hertl before he hits the UFA market in the offseason.

Buffalo will probably stay the course and keep rebuilding through the draft with three 1st round picks in the 2022 draft, until the time comes where Buffalo is ready to start contending which doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen until some of the Sabres prospects are ready to play in the NHL.

I don’t know much about Rosen except for what I’ve read that was wrote about Rosen’s elite puck skills and strong skating abilities.

Buffalo took Rosen at 14th overall, so they must be pretty high on the kid, add in the other picks Buffalo will have with the prospect pool they now possess and Buffalo should have some nice depth in 2-3 years if most of their prospects reach their potential.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

To San Jose
Isak Rosen
Zemgus Girgensons
2022 1st (FLA)

To Buffalo

?

Was curious, grazie..

Not sure why Girgs is in this deal at all. He's a leader for Buffalo and someone they will try to re-sign, and if San Jose is trading Hertl, they are throwing in the towel and Girgensons would have very little value to them.

That said, Buffalo shouldn't be trading futures for a guy Hertl's age that will more than likely be in decline when their window starts to open.

Value wise, it's not terrible in a vacuum, but i don't see the reasoning for either club.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I could see why BUF wouldn't like it (why wouldn't they just wait to sign hertl for free?). But I can also see why the sharks wouldn't like it --- very little return for the most important player on the team. IMHO, while the pieces are all fine, I don't think Girgensons and Rosen do much for SJ, and that signed Hertl is probably worth more than that.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Do people really think SJ will receive more for Hertl then a recent 1st round pick, another 1st round pick in the coming draft and a useful roster player? Because I doubt they'd do much better then that. This obviously assumes that SJ can't or won't bring Hertl back, which I'm sure is not how most Sharks fans want this to unfold.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Do people really think SJ will receive more for Hertl then a recent 1st round pick, another 1st round pick in the coming draft and a useful roster player? Because I doubt they'd do much better then that. This obviously assumes that SJ can't or won't bring Hertl back, which I'm sure is not how most Sharks fans want this to unfold.

I can’t speak for all Sharks fans, but if the team elects to trade him, or if Hertl makes clear he’s interested in moving on - then a recent top pick + 1st + roster player seems like the standard get for a player of Hertl’s caliber as a rental. I could see additional minor considerations for any retained salary and/or if Hertl resigns with the acquiring team.

However, based on the posture of the front office I don’t see anything happening until the deadline approaches.

As far as I know the only public comments that either party (Hertl/Sharks FO) have made is that they haven’t had meaningful talks about an extension, that they will get together to discuss at some future point, and that Hertl wants to be on a team that will consistently go deep in the playoffs/contend. Hertl did offer up, unprompted, that he’d consider signing for a little less to help a team be in a better position to consistently win (for whatever that’s worth).

Who knows what Hertl might look at to determine what teams are “contenders”, but realistically, I’d wager Buffalo would not meet those metrics.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What? Let's not kid ourselves. Buffalo gets the superior player and San Jose gets four quarters instead of a dollar. We're not going to do it because our timeline doesn't add up but the value is favorable to the team getting the proven commodity in these trades.
We dont even get four quarters here. Its like one quarter and a couple pennies

Reactions: buffalowing88

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The first road block in this trade proposal is the idea that Hertl would waive his ntc for Buffalo. Beyond that, these assets are not what the Sharks would be looking for. Value doesn’t mean anything if you’re only giving up things they can get elsewhere or what they already have.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Buffalo should just keep doing what they are doing. No need to trade futures for yet another overrated player on this board that is gonna get paid way too much.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Oh boy, Zemgus Girgensons, a ~30th overall pick, and a forward prospect with 4 points in 22 SHL games in exchange for the heart and soul of our team. Sign me up!

Rosen was a mid-1st round pick and is the 13th forward for his SHL team (i.e., gets virtually no ice time). But you probably knew that.

Anyway, no interest in this. This type of shit is how Murray f***ed up rebuild 1.0, and he was chasing after guys younger than Hertl.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
The Sharks don't get enough for Hertl (the only huge piece we can trade in a rebuild), this doesn't help the Sabres rebuild, and Hertl would say no. This proposal doesn't are into account the needs/wants of anyone involved. I know it's HF but yeesh

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The first road block in this trade proposal is the idea that Hertl would waive his ntc for Buffalo. Beyond that, these assets are not what the Sharks would be looking for. Value doesn’t mean anything if you’re only giving up things they can get elsewhere or what they already have.
I doubt Hertl would be all that excited to come to Buffalo. It would certainly have to be a situation where Buffalo is offering him silly money and term to come and stay here. My comment was in relation to the value of the package which seems pretty damn reasonable given Hertl's contract is up at years end. How those pieces fit SJ's needs is certainly something worth debating given what they already have in the system. Maybe you find a team that gives you pieces that fit your positional needs better and that's a big maybe (as a team that just spent months trying to move an even better player than Hertl in Eichel and saw the whole process drag out I'd be very reluctant to make that case). All that said the consensus seems to be this isn't really a smart trade for either organization and I'd agree with that.

Reactions: Chainshot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This doesn’t work fir buffalo. They are not in the rental market.

value wise for Hertl as a UFA will disappoint most SJ fans. It would be a

1st( top 10/ playoff protected)
decent but not top prospect
2nd/3rd or secondary prospect
Retention and/or salary back

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad