Proposal: BUF - NYI Skinner for Pageau

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Instead of buying him out I was wondering if the Isles would be interested in Skinner (3mil retained) for JG Pageau who has apparently fallen off a cliff this past year but still is a good Faceoff guy.

Isles receive Skinner at 3x6mil
Buffalo receives Pageau at 2x5mil + 3x3mil Skinner retention

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
“Fallen off the cliff” JPG to end last year:
23 GP, 4 G, 11 Pts, 15:50 TOI

Jeff Skinner to end last year:
22 GP, 5 G, 10 Pts, 13:33 TOI

Can’t see what the Isles consider this even if JPG’s play has deteriorated and you try to balance out salaries. He’s still a center, still plays PK1 and his job isn’t only to score goals.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
“Fallen off the cliff” JPG to end last year:
23 GP, 4 G, 11 Pts, 15:50 TOI

Jeff Skinner to end last year:
22 GP, 5 G, 10 Pts, 13:33 TOI

Can’t see what the Isles consider this even if JPG’s play has deteriorated and you try to balance out salaries. He’s still a center, still plays PK1 and his job isn’t only to score goals.

Last I checked, they play a full season not just a latter quarter of one

74 GP, 24 Gs , 22 As, 46 pts was Skinner's stats

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Not to mention that there's very little chance that Skinner waives to go play on the Island.
I can see it now:
June 24: Jeff Skinner bought out by the Buffalo Sabres
July 1: Toronto Maple Leafs sign former Calder Trophy Winner Jeff Skinner. Skinner will bring some of his offensive prowess to the Leafs and help lead them to a Stanley Cup in the 2024-25 season.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As an isles fan I’d do it in a heartbeat but I don’t see why BUF would do it? To get 1 less year? Skinner is still productive. Pageau is great on faceoffs and kills penalties but his offense has disappeared.

Not to mention that there's very little chance that Skinner waives to go play on the Island.
Why wouldn’t he?

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I can see it now:
June 24: Jeff Skinner bought out by the Buffalo Sabres
July 1: Toronto Maple Leafs sign former Calder Trophy Winner Jeff Skinner. Skinner will bring some of his offensive prowess to the Leafs and help lead them to a Stanley Cup in the 2024-25 season.

Then we can't buy him out.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why wouldn’t he?
He has said multiple times during his career that playing close to home is an absolute priority for him. Home is Toronto. Yes, I know that Toronto to NYC is a short plane ride.......but when he was traded from Carolina to Buffalo, there were literally only 2 places he would have waived to go to: Buffalo and Toronto.

Maybe it's changed given that he hasn't made the playoffs yet, but he's certainly given no outward indication that he'd be willing to relocate to a non-Toronto team.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Why not? You buy him out and the cup condentenders sign him to help with the parade planning committee.

Because I don't want the Leafs to win the Cup and frankly don't want yet another Sabres departure to win the Cup immediately.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Because I don't want the Leafs to win the Cup and frankly don't want yet another Sabres departure to win the Cup immediately.
The Leafs won’t win the cup even with Skinner. You know this. That parade planing committee is forever a work in progress while using computers from 1993.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I just had a dark thought.

Lou is watching tonight’s game and strategizing how he can sign Henrique in the next few weeks.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not investing 8 million dollars just for a guy to take faceoffs.

Good lord.
I wouldnt either… unless doing so would get me out of paying even more money for less contribution (which is the premise here).

Not sure there’s a single team who picks Skinner over Pageau, even with 3m retained.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldnt either… unless doing so would get me out of paying even more money for less contribution (which is the premise here).

Not sure there’s a single team who picks Skinner over Pageau, even with 3m retained.

Oh stop. Skinner had a bad year last year and still potted 24 goals.

Reactions: DJN21

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Instead of buying him out I was wondering if the Isles would be interested in Skinner (3mil retained) for JG Pageau who has apparently fallen off a cliff this past year but still is a good Faceoff guy.

Isles receive Skinner at 3x6mil
Buffalo receives Pageau at 2x5mil + 3x3mil Skinner retention
Pageau is not worth it.

Skinner has actual value at $5M without taking a cap dump back.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Oh stop. Skinner had a bad year last year and still potted 24 goals.
Skinner stinks. Give me Pageau’s 33 pt season over the vast majority of Skinner’s NHL seasons.

Also, Skinner’s season was right in the middle of his previous 4 seasons. Hardly a “bad season” by his standards.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
As an isles fan I’d do it in a heartbeat but I don’t see why BUF would do it? To get 1 less year? Skinner is still productive. Pageau is great on faceoffs and kills penalties but his offense has disappeared.

Why wouldn’t he?
The Sabres are more crowded at wing than center and Skinner doesn't exactly play the type of game Ruff would want I would think.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
No thanks. Not only does JGP play the more premium forward position and comes with less commitment (contract length), but he vastly improved since the coaching change.

1718768723224.png

Just buy Skinner out, and maybe the Isles send him a cheap offer when he's an UFA.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lou constructs his rosters as if they are an orchestra and Skinner is the equivalent to a STOMP member.

NYI pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad