Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Peyton Krebs re-signs with the Sabres (2 years, $1.45M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
It basically depends upon Thompson and Cozens bouncing back to form. They don't necessarily need to revert back to 2022 stats (47G/94P & 31G/68P respectively), but do need to find some middle ground. If Thompson can get to 35-40G/75-85 points and Cozens to 25ishG/60ish points, I think the rest of the roster is good enough to keep them in the picture.

They've finally added a legit 3C in McLeod, have a franchise goalie (need him to be solid again) and have enough pieces on defense to form a solid unit, with potential to be elite.

A few other keys (in the form of questions many of us fans have)...

1. Where does Bo Byram fit and does he develop into a legit top 4 guy? He showed promise when he first came over but started falling into the "Granato way" before long and became less aggressive as he tried to play his "system".
  2. Is Owen Power ready to step into becoming a top 20ish guy in the league? He was great during his rookie campaign at tilting the ice in the Sabres favor and showed signs of that last year. Ruff can hopefully take his game to the next level. He's underrated around the league for how good he's been at a young age, especially his very strong possession analytics. He's a play driver who utilizes a strong hockey IQ with lots of small, but impactful plays all over the ice.
  3. Can Quinn, Peterka and Benson all take a step in their game? Quinn was injured most of last season, but was very impressive when he did play. He has the highest ceiling of these guys. Benson is already a 2-way stud, but can he continue developing into a beast like Marchand? Peterka will get a look on the top line with Thompson and Tuch. Can we become a 30/30 guy?
  4. Can UPL continue becoming a top 10 goaltender in the league? He was playing at an elite level for much of last year.
  5. Can the newly formed bottom 6 forward group provide strong defense, some timely scoring and change of momentum abilities? They finally have speed, 2-way ability and some truculence in this group, whereas in year's past it was a hodgepodge of leftovers, tweeners and guys past their prime. I think it finally has an identity.
  6. Lastly, can Ruff pull it all together? Can the team find some balance between defense/protecting their goalie and having some semblance of scoring prowess? Granato over-adjusted last year and confused his players. They become better defensively, but were far less aggressive and eroded their scoring numbers. It didn't help that some of their players felt the pressure from their large contracts and never got their confidence. Good coaching should help with all of the above. Ruff will be the alpha in this room and carries a lot of respect in the city of Buffalo. I expect the players to respond to that.
Great post!

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Skinner got bought out by Buffalo for the same reasons he was traded there by Carolina for a pile of scraps.

Talented individual ice hockey player. But his lassez faire approach to everything Sabre-side of center ice hurts his teams too much. And it’s not just about Skinner sucking on the ice defensively when he’s out there. His low effort undermines the entire team. Krueger tried stapling him to the 4th line to send a message. Granato let him play through it and dealt with the warts. Skinner is a locus point for a host of issues around effort and accountability. What goes through other players’ heads—younger players—when they see Skinner never back check and yet game after game he’s trotted back out in the top 6 and pp1 with full ice time? It’s doubly frustrating because Skinner is a pesky offensive player that draws a ton of penalties. If he played the same in both zones…well, I don’t think he’d be obliterating the previous record for “most NHL games without ever playing in the playoffs.”

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Skinner got bought out by Buffalo for the same reasons he was traded there by Carolina for a pile of scraps.

Talented individual ice hockey player. But his lassez faire approach to everything Sabre-side of center ice hurts his teams too much. And it’s not just about Skinner sucking on the ice defensively when he’s out there. His low effort undermines the entire team. Krueger tried stapling him to the 4th line to send a message. Granato let him play through it and dealt with the warts. Skinner is a locus point for a host of issues around effort and accountability. What goes through other players’ heads—younger players—when they see Skinner never back check and yet game after game he’s trotted back out in the top 6 and pp1 with full ice time? It’s doubly frustrating because Skinner is a pesky offensive player that draws a ton of penalties. If he played the same in both zones…well, I don’t think he’d be obliterating the previous record for “most NHL games without ever playing in the playoffs.”
You can also obviously tell which games Skinner is engaged and when he's not. It's VERY obvious.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Krebs can step up even a bit…the Sabres center depth looks solid for the up-coming season:

Tage, Cozens, McLeod, Krebs

Lafferty can play center too. Add in Malenstyn and NAK and the bottom six is definitely more robust and able to play the kind of grinding but effective game that franchise has lacked. Certainly not a glamorous group but it’s going to beat the pants off of using the bottom six as a way to hide one-way players like Olofsson or prospects that may have hype but may not be ready to play.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
McLeod 3C and Krebbs 4C. Who are the Sabres 1 and 2 centres? Won’t these two play higher?

Tage thompson
Dylan Cozens
McLeod
Lafferty

Krebs could be 3c or 4c pushing those 2 to the wing. He can sub in top 2 lines if needed

In AHL they have
Kulich , Ostlund, and Helenius.

TheY drafted Helenius in 24 from europe. Kulich has played the last 2 pyrs in AHL on sliding contract. This year he is 20. Ostlund comes over the US year from europe also 20 yrs old out of 22 draft.
Nope. Please explain.

Skinner and Ruff dont mix. Skinner likely would have been bought out before the contract ended because cap space would be needed. Ruff hire accelerated this.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Even Granato, probably the most patient coach in history, lost his patience and put Skinner on the third line at the end of last year.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
OK... fine, but i don't see that Krebs has even earned that paltry amount. And i say this as a guy who really liked him in his draft year.
PK has been up and down the line up, and no matter where he is I kinda wish there was someone better in that spot most of the time. Said as a guy who also liked Krebsy in his draft, I don't think the Granato years were good to him and I pray that the new staff can help him understand that dumb doesn't eventually work no matter how diligent and cosistent you are with it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nick Robertson

Age 23 born September 11 2001, 14 goals 13 assists 27 points 56 games 875K cap hit.

Peyton Krebs age 23, born January 26 2001, 4 goals 13 assists 17 points in 80 games.

Why is Krebs getting a dime over 875K?

He's older, played more games and scored less

Hell Ryan Reaves scored as many goals in 31 fewer games and he makes 100K less.

Again Why is Peyton Krebs getting a dime over 875K?

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting deal. Has the feel of paying a little extra for a guy they expect to "break out" and become real "value" at that number within two years.

I'm a big believer in Krebs, so i dig it. But it does seem like he's gotten a bit lost in the weird shuffle with Buffalo, who haven't really consistently put him in a position to succeed. It's weird, in that as a Juniors prospect, he struck me as a very smart or savvy, but maybe somewhat "quiet" player. With the Sabres, he's looked a bit more like a...less smart, but more "loud" hustle and effort sort of player. Can't help but wonder how much of that shift is situational, or developmental, given Buffalo's situation kind of overflowing with "skilled forwards". Trying to develop and shoehorn Krebs into a different sort of "energy" or "checking" role.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Nick Robertson

Age 23 born September 11 2001, 14 goals 13 assists 27 points 56 games 875K cap hit.

Peyton Krebs age 23, born January 26 2001, 4 goals 13 assists 17 points in 80 games.

Krebs, 2 year contrat… with a team with cap space, could be team friendly deal if Krebs play better

Robertson bet on himself and with a low aav for one year… more chance to be a regular all year on a team without capspace and also better chance a team trade for him at 875k

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I don't speak German and I know what that is.
Oh, no intention to sound patronizing on my part, I just thought not everybody knows.
E.g. I also found it mildly surprising, that barely anyone made the Eichel - bell-end reference.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Nick Robertson

There's an argument to be made that it's a bit of protection. Krebs isn't waiver exempt anymore and if he needs to spend some time in Rochester actually playing (as opposed to being our 13th forward)......then a 2 year deal at that AAV is going to dissuade a LOT of cap-strapped teams from claiming him.

Is Robertson waiver exempt or does he have a year left?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There's an argument to be made that it's a bit of protection. Krebs isn't waiver exempt anymore and if he needs to spend some time in Rochester actually playing (as opposed to being our 13th forward)......then a 2 year deal at that AAV is going to dissuade a LOT of cap-strapped teams from claiming him.

Is Robertson waiver exempt or does he have a year left?

I don't think he's waiver exempt anymore

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
This guy's got a bit of a corny-ish aura around himself. Presumably a smallish skill C, with upside (?), but then gets into pointless fights and pumps his chest like he's the most rugged thing since Dave Brown, and doesn't score much either as icing on the cake. I dunno, but was he the captain of his junior team, because he definitely carries this "I'm gonna carry my troops beyond eternity" face.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Because he is f***ing awful defensively and was going to be on our third line where he wouldn't contribute offensively either. On a team of "meh" defensive players for Skinner to stand out so badly in his own zone was shocking. It's also honestly debatable if he'd even contribute offensively on the Sabres even in a top 6 role, his skating looked pretty cooked.

He is abysmal on the PP and the Sabres being so bad on it is because of his play style and failing to utilize other players. He may have put up the most points on our PP but a lot of it was because he did it himself to the detriment of everybody else.

His spot in the lineup was valuable to someone who fit the mold of a third liner rather than shoehorning him a role that didn't fit him at 9.5 million.

I'm sure he'll do well in Edmonton for obvious reasons but his time in Buffalo was done.
I would maybe single out some of our top 6 last year and Olofsson but our defensive play from the players last year was pretty good UPL wasn't the only reason we were 11th in GA last year.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Nick Robertson

Idk much about Robertson is he afraid of hitting players because Krebs is the type who isn't afraid to grind it out in a game.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Nick Robertson

Because our GM isn't very good.

He spent the entire summer essentially rebuilding the bottom six, including adding two centers and two LWers, the position that Krebs plays. Essentially, he pushed him out of the lineup with his moves.

The logical thing would be to tell Krebs "Sign your QO or sit out the season". Without Arb rights and no suitors for offersheets (as of now), Krebs would've had to sign and show up or go to Europe. But Adams decided to give him a raise for doing....nothing? It really is bizarre.

I know the fancy stats folks will say this is 'market rate'....but given he's defaulting to the 13th forward on this team....quite a bit of an overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad