Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Jason Zucker signs with the Sabres (1 year, $5M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
giphy.gif

$5M for some TDL picks if he explodes and actually stays healthy?
Bold move I guess. Good luck Zuck!

• Haha
Reactions: TheStatican and Dog

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Id rather
ehh, it's for one year, unlike some of the awful FA contracts they have signed in the past. Sabres get a top 6, motivated player. Zucker is a good pro, if he can stay healthy. Will provide secondary scoring, decent two way play, and is feisty. If he doesn't deliver 40-50 points this year, no harm done, you move on next year with no problem, or even sell him at the TDL for a pick.

Don't understand the angst. Would you rather have paid Toffoli 6M x 4, or Marchessault till he is 40?
Id rather give marsh a blank freaking check than this lol

Reactions: Fjordy

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
His underlyings last season were as good as ever, just had a low sh% and reduced ice time. Unless he *actually* drops off a cliff due to aging this coming season, he seems like a good candidate for a bounce back year.
He is 32 on a 1 year deal he will likely get a boost in TOI and usage will probably be used as a middle six guy instead of a strictly 3rd liner

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Takes two to tango.

$5 million is too much for Zucker but the 1 year gives flexibility so if he's chugging along at 20 goal pace come deadline and the Sabres are out of it then they can flip him for a 2nd or a 3rd and a 5th. If he's putting up 3rd line numbers then can flip him for a 5th/6th/7th.
What does this have anything to do with whether or not we could have gotten Marchessault instead?

Reactions: Fjordy

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Buffalo sure has to overpay to sign guys.
Even when we overpay we can't get premium guys. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say there isn't a single team in the NHL who has it harder when it comes to NMCs and signing free agents. Its obviously the teams fault for getting to this point, but f*** does it suck as a fan.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s like Christmas Day and all your friends got Xboxes and skateboards and you got Jason Zucker. WTF? Why?

I’m sorry, I keep scrolling through the list of deals and this sticks out like an infected zit.

Anyway, welcome to Buffalo, Jason.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Sabres are planning to bring up 2 players out of the group of Rosen, Ostlund, Kulich and Savoie to the team at some point this year. Zucker is a placeholder in case that group of players isn’t ready. If they are he can still slot in to the lineup or be traded at the trade deadline. I know many Sabres fans don’t want to hear this but I think that they really believe in these prospects.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Shouldn’t Buffalo be trying to make the playoffs? I figured they past the let’s buy ourselves mid round picks phase.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think the league pooled some funds together to give to the Sabres money to reward Zucker for his retalitory hit on Cousins

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don't at all understand the reasoning of buying out Skinner just to go out and sign a similar player @ 5m. If Zucker is just here as a placeholder as someone mentioned, why not hold off 1 more season on the Skinner buyout?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I don't at all understand the reasoning of buying out Skinner just to go out and sign a similar player @ 5m. If Zucker is just here as a placeholder as someone mentioned, why not hold off 1 more season on the Skinner buyout?
cause he doesn't play defense and also probably just wanted out at this point

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Jeff Skinner and Jason Zucker don't play anything alike
And it's only a 1 year deal we don't expect him to replace skinner offense we got him to be reasonably better defensively with a chance at an offensive touch. He could very well bounce back had a 46% ozs and the year before had a positive corsica he could score 12+ goals and chip in anywhere from 35-40 points while providing good defense the expectation is that the young guys keep improving and that Thompson and tuch both bounce back for a full year and hopefully we can be healthy.

Reactions: Davenport

Ad

Ad

Ad