Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So he can still be a 30ish point guy away from Drai. Pretty much my point.

Playing with Drai an entire season he's 50+
Potentially yes. He played like a 30 point guy last year away from Drai. This year he played more like a 25 point guy away from Drai. I could see him fitting in on a 2nd PP though and maybe flirting with 40 points if you give him two 50 point wingers.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I mean he's had 56 playoff games. We've watched him play a decent amount. He's also someone a lot of people had as a trade target going into the season.

That's compared to Savoie where you would have to make an effort to watch him play. I don't think Oilers fans paid any attention to Savoie before July 5th.

The difference being, the vast majority of fans don't watch their own prospects in junior. That's the reality of it.

On the other hand, Oiler fans have seen McLeod for 270 games in regular season and the playoffs.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
You make a good point he has been a quality regular season player and that's going to be valuable to a Buffalo team just trying to break through to even get into the playoffs. I'll stand by that I really just don't think his game is made for playoff hockey though, at least not as a tough matchup shut down centre. Sometimes soft players can get by just fine in the playoffs if they're goal scorers for example, but McLeod's offence fell off a cliff in the playoffs, not just by his point production, but by his advanced metrics. His defence also took a hit, but to a lesser extent because he only really struggles with defending the cycle when the other team is able to set up. I wouldn't put too much stock into his 3 goals in 5 games in the finals. One was an empty netter that Foegele did the heavy lifting on, and another was the 8-1 goal in a game the Panthers already gave up in. His tip goal was huge in the Oilers almost coming back in game 2, but he also flubbed the game tying chance that McDavid set him up on with Bobrovsky falling on his ass.

There's a lot of polarizing takes in this thread, but at the end of the day I think McLeod helps Buffalo for what they're trying to accomplish, which is making the playoffs. I think its also obvious that he wasn't helping Edmonton win in the playoffs, and especially not in the later rounds where competition and intensity is ramped to the max.
Appreciate the thoughtful response.

Unless he bulks up and learns to grind a little, I agree he wouldn’t be made to be any kind of shutdown center in the playoffs. He could end up being somewhat productive on the wing hopefully.

We are also in a position where we don’t need to rely on him as some shutdown player. Cozens is going to be leaned on as a matchup center. Our 4th line is now a good defensive line. All we really care about right now is making the playoffs. We’ll worry about the rest later.

Reactions: McFlyingV

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
The difference being, the vast majority of fans don't watch their own prospects in junior. That's the reality of it.

On the other hand, Oiler fans have seen McLeod for 270 games in regular season and the playoffs.
Correct. A lot of Sabres fans on these boards do though. Obviously not casual fans.

Sabres fans have watched a good chunk of McLeod games, but not all of them.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if Oilers fans were tuning into Savoie's junior games / developmental camp / preseason pro games. Something that Sabres fans on here have been doing.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Oh wow, that’s new info. Except it’s been said on every page of the entire thread…

You realize that doesn’t make him the worst player in the league right? Especially considering he had 3 goals in the last 5 games of the SCF which everybody just loves ignoring in their endless bashing.

And since when did regular season games all of a sudden not matter? Especially to a team that hasn’t been to the playoffs in over a decade.
Bruh :laugh:

One of those goals was the 8th goal in a 8-1 win for Edmonton.

Another one was an empty net goal that gave the Oilers a 4-1 lead.

Don't try to manipulate things

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

Tons of Buffalo fans on HF watch plenty of junior games. Of course there are always plenty who don’t. We’re a diehard hockey market. On top of that, we’ve been so bad for so long, we’ve definitely been pulled into watching prospects for sanity if nothing else.

Bruh :laugh:

One of those goals was the 8th goal in a 8-1 win for Edmonton.

Another one was an empty net goal that gave the Oilers a 4-1 lead.

Don't try to manipulate things
I’m manipulating things? The only thing I just argued is he isn’t the worst hockey player in the NHL. Apparently that’s some giant manipulation though lol. Maybe the fans acting like he is are the ones manipulating?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I mean he's had 56 playoff games. We've watched him play a decent amount. He's also someone a lot of people had as a trade target going into the season.

That's compared to Savoie where you would have to make an effort to watch him play. I don't think Oilers fans paid any attention to Savoie before July 5th.
I would put money on the fact that more Oiler fans watched Savoie in junior than Sabres fans.

Tons of Buffalo fans on HF watch plenty of junior games. Of course there are always plenty who don’t. We’re a diehard hockey market. On top of that, we’ve been so bad for so long, we’ve definitely been pulled into watching prospects for sanity if nothing else.

I’m manipulating things? The only thing I just argued is he isn’t the worst hockey player in the NHL. Apparently that’s some giant manipulation though lol. Maybe the fans acting like us are the ones manipulating?
When you bring up "he had 3 goals in the last 5 games of the SCF which everybody just loves ignoring in their endless bashing", yes.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Keller was playing in the NHL at 19 years old. He had 65 pts in 82 games.

You're clueless...
Okay so to summarize you said you watched him in junior and he's the next yamamoto despite having a completely different style of play. Then you said he's 5'7 when he's never been listed under 5'9 anywhere.

I'll have to put your opinion as being less than unimportant but you get some brownie points for effort.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Many of you need to consider the context here. Adams had to avoid the potentially disastrous situation of playing Peyton Krebs regularly at 3C, in a season where the Sabres are desperate to make the playoffs.

Buffalo is loaded with young, smallish, offensively talented forwards - Quinn, Peterka, and Benson are already roster players, and Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, and Helenius are not far away. Like Savoie, all but Peterka (34OA) have a first round draft pedigree.

We're all fans of Matt, and wish him the best, but Adams dealt from a position of strength to fill a gaping hole in the roster. The team is much improved as a result.
Screenshot 2024-07-06 182846.png

Going into the season with Krebs as the 3C would be so bad, we had to spend a top 20 prospect in the NHL for this upgrade.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I would put money on the fact that more Oiler fans watched Savoie in junior than Sabres fans.

When you bring up "he had 3 goals in the last 5 games of the SCF which everybody just loves ignoring in their endless bashing", yes.
For the worst hockey player in the league, that’s pretty damn good. No matter how you do it.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
I think oil are flipping Savoie in a package with Kane or Nurse (or both) for future consideration. (because no ones giving you anything to help them that much lol)

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
When Savoie is a Mercedes & McLeod is a bicycle lmao
So you have nothing of substance to back up your claim. Got it

They are acting like he is, absolutely. Have you read this thread?

Either way, how exactly does that make me a victim?
Because you're absolutely twisting things, then you throw a fit when someone disagrees with you and claim "Oiler fans believe McLeod is the worst player in the league"

Yes I have read this thread, and it's going as expected from a fan base who healthy scratched the forward dealt in some of the most important games of the playoffs.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
So you have nothing of substance to back up your claim. Got it
"How are we talking about him?"

"That he's a mercedes & mcleod is a bicycle"

"Nothing of substance"

Lol what? When you're calling him a Mercedes & McLeod is just a bicycle you are far overrating Savoie. Talking about him like he's some sure thing. Go look back at the first few pages. Crazy how Savoie is going to be making the top 6 out of training camp.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
"How are we talking about him?"

"That he's a mercedes & mcleod is a bicycle"

"Nothing of substance"

Lol what? When you're calling him a Mercedes & McLeod is just a bicycle you are far overrating Savoie. Talking about him like he's some sure thing. Go look back at the first few pages. Crazy how Savoie is going to be making the top 6 out of training camp.
How many Oiler fans stated this, if any at all?

Again, you're grasping at straws.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Because you're absolutely twisting things, then you throw a fit when someone disagrees with you and claim "Oiler fans believe McLeod is the worst player in the league"

Who disagreed with me? I started out responding to you saying:

Well then, definitely looking forward to the Sabres matching him up against Matthews, Point, Barkov, etc
With:
It’s a good thing we have 2 other centers better than him. And a 4th line that is good defensively now. Almost like he doesn’t have to take every difficult matchup…

This thread is so weird. Apparently McLeod is the worst player in the league to half of Edmonton.
To which you responded:
I mean, he was one of the worst players on the Oilers these past playoffs.

I can't even get fans to agree that he's NOT the worst player in the league. I thought the lowest bar possible would be a good starting point to agree on. But apparently not...

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Who disagreed with me? I started out responding to you saying:

With:

To which you responded:

I can't even get fans to agree that he's NOT the worst player in the league. I thought the lowest bar possible would be a good starting point to agree on. But apparently not...
What are you talking about?

So because I stated that McLeod was one of the worst players on the Oilers in the playoffs, that means he's the worst player in the league?

You sharing those posts made it even clearer that you're making absolutely zero sense.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Are you sober?

So because I stated that McLeod was one of the worst players on the Oilers in the playoffs, that means he's the worst player in the league?

You sharing those posts made it even clearer that you're making absolutely zero sense.
You just said I'm throwing a fit because someone disagreed with me. I just asked who disagreed with me? Because apparently you didn't. Who did?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad