Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
This is an insane return for edmonton. Savoie has all the potential hall marks of a quality point producing centre and for McLeod and Tullio?

That's it??

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You didn't like his junior game but just about every pro scout did and had him going in #5-15 overall.

The scouts include NHL projection in their assessment so obviously you know more than all of them.

Oilers needed to free up cap and roster space and this deal did just that. Even without McLeod Oilers have Kane,Henrique, Perry, Holloway, Janmark ,Brown and Ryan in their bottom 6
Scouts draft for development potential, not for the player they are at the day of the draft. Savoie has skill that's undeniable, but I guarantee you none of those scouts thought he could play the same style in the NHL and be successful. From what I've heard, he hasn't changed up his game much, which isn't the most encouraging thing (although I haven't watched him this year, so what I've read could be wrong).

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
There's nothing wrong about it. Mcleod sucks period. All he can do is skate. Doesn't hit, plays just die on his stick. There's a reason he was in the pressbox in the playoffs. Clearing his 2.1m cap hit for even like a 4th rd pick would have been a win, never mind the 9th overall from 2 years ago.
Yeah exactly. Just dumping his cap hit is a win. Can't believe how good McLeod is all of the sudden and I like McLeod.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Needed for the Sabres Savoie is a bit redundant in Buffalo. His D+2 was fine.

You’ve got Benson Kulich and apparently sabres think higher of Rosen. Not to mention a slew of others. This fills a huge need for the Sabres.
Wich need? Antiphysichal contact with speed?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
you either think the Buffalo GM is the biggest idiot in the world. Or they know Savoie isn't that great and hasn't lived up to his hype. If he was so good he wouldn't be in the trade.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McLeod is a 4th liner level player. If he was good enough to play on the third line the Oilers would have kept him.
Not true.
Skinner fell in Oilers lap and we also managed to lock up Henrique and Arvidsson... something in top 9 had to give. Doesn't make McLeod a bad player.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There's nothing wrong about it. Mcleod sucks period. All he can do is skate. Doesn't hit, plays just die on his stick. There's a reason he was in the pressbox in the playoffs. Clearing his 2.1m cap hit for even like a 4th rd pick would have been a win, never mind the 9th overall from 2 years ago.
You said he had no hands. That’s wrong. He has slick hands to go along with his elite speed. He also plays a good defensively responsible game. Only some offence though.

No trading him for a 4th would have been one of the dumbest trades ever. Which is why the Oilers sought to find true value and got a Savoie instead.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The phrase used by one Edmonton media guy to describe McLeod: "If they don't bite as pups, they aren't going to bite as dogs." McLeod was arguably the softest player on the Oilers. So soft that he was allergic to the front of the net even on a rush. His move was to take the puck with speed and, at any sign of pressure from the D in the o-zone, skate around the net. He was so afraid oh physicality that he would just skate the puck around the perimeter, never mind driving the net.

He was not suited for the Oilers anymore. And he may never be a centre. He is without a doubt a serviceable NHL player at this stage though. Hew could be a bigger Cogliano type, which would be great. But I'm shocked at the return.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I am far too lazy to read through this thread. So I will add my wonderful two cents here as a non-fan of either team: Jeff Jackson is a wizard. McLeod is a fantastic skater, but frustratingly ineffective so often. Nice player, but definitely expendable for Edmonton. Unless Savoie looks like a total bust -- which is laughable, because he's 20 -- this is (potentially) insane value for Edmonton. If the Oilers end up hiring the assault-enabler instead of King Jackson, holy shit that's ridiculous.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
you either think the Buffalo GM is the biggest idiot in the world. Or they know Savoie isn't that great and hasn't lived up to his hype. If he was so good he wouldn't be in the trade.
The Oilers needed to dump McLeod's salary since after all the chances they gave him he never performed better then a 4th liner.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
8 months after picking Johnathan Dahlen 42nd overall in 2016, the Sens traded him for Alex Burrows. Everyone thought the value was awful, but Dahlen busted completely.

9 months after picking Filip Forsberg 11th overall in 2011, the Capitals traded him for Martin Erat. Everyone thought the value was awful, and it was.

I think McLeod will be better than Burrows/Erat were at the time, but I do believe Savoie will end up being somewhere between Dahlen and Forsberg. lol

Reactions: HaNotsri

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He was 20 for most of those points.
That's a terrible argument, since he was injured for the early parts of the season.

If anything, it's more impressive that he had that kind of season after missing a good chunk early on

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
So Edmonton just grabs a top 10 pick who hasn’t trended down at all since draft for…..Ryan fricking mcleod

Buffalo, fold the franchise
He has kind of stunk on larger stages and dominated junior as 20-year-old. Not saying he doesn't have upside but I wouldn't get carried away with his junior year. If his game dominates in the AHL, then it is clear W for Oilers.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I like McLeod. Would have liked to keep him. He has third line skill with elite skating. Good PK but super soft

I guess with the cap and the depth at center he was too rich for the 4th line at 2.1. I hope he does well in Buffalo

I don't know much about Savoie but it terms of pure value seems like the Oilers win this trade at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad