Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Dude, I get it that you hate Edmonton but good grief.

"He plays like a junior player", that might be one of the worst arguments I've seen on here
Lol I don't hate Edmonton at all, I'm a Sens fan, I hate the Sabres more than I hate Edmonton. Hell I was defending McDavid on here a few weeks ago because of the Conn Smythe thing.

I just don't like Savioe's game. Don't know what else to tell you.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Pretty nice move for Edmonton, silly asset management by Buffalo. McLeod is a fine enough player, but trading a 9th overall essentially for a capdump is wild. What was Buffalo thinking picking Savoie if they didn't see him as a potential core piece?

Also, I don't really see this as a total fleecing; what is the likelihood of Savoie ending up better than say Conor Garland? Similar junior careers, and Conor Garland on a good contract maybe wouldn't get you McLeod in a trade, because good small forwards are like goaltenders on the trade market, they just don't have value.

Just shaking my head at using a 9th overall pick for someone who was so obviously never seen to be potential core piece.

Reactions: Macheteops

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I like this move for both teams, actually.

With Henrique signed, Oilers don't need McLeod as a #3C. Simultaneously, healthy Arvidsson, Skinner and Kane make him obsolete in the top 6. If one gets injured, you can move up Brown or/and Holloway.

Buffalo has a large variety of players who are similar to Savoie, he is of course a little undersized.
McLeod is a solid #3C who still has a lot of potential. He is tall and a very good two-way player.
He was sheltered behind McDrai offensively when not playing with Draisaitl, which won't happen in Buffalo (so there might be something coming here). He is very good on the PK and has the speed to potentially keep up with anyone in the Buffalo top 6 when needed.

Does this move seem like an overpay? Yes, but only in a vacuum, and these don't exist in the NHL. It's pretty obvious that young everyday-NHL-centers with speed and size are valued highly. Savoie on the other hand is a little undersized and has yet to play a larger amount of NHL-games, let alone playoffs. You could also argue that Edmonton is taking a risk here as well.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
McLeod is a 4th liner level player. If he was good enough to play on the third line the Oilers would have kept him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lol I don't hate Edmonton at all, I'm a Sens fan, I hate the Sabres more than I hate Edmonton. Hell I was defending McDavid on here a few weeks ago because of the Conn Smythe thing.

I just don't like Savioe's game. Don't know what else to tell you.
You didn't like his junior game but just about every pro scout did and had him going in #5-15 overall.

The scouts include NHL projection in their assessment so obviously you know more than all of them.

Oilers needed to free up cap and roster space and this deal did just that. Even without McLeod Oilers have Kane,Henrique, Perry, Holloway, Janmark ,Brown and Ryan in their bottom 6

spfan

May 4, 2009
Many, many Sabres fans have called for Adams to do something along these lines.

Savoie, Benson, Rosen, Neuchev, Ostlund and even to an extent Kulich and even Helenius are all cut from the same broad cloth: smallish skill-heavy forwards. We were getting a MAJOR clog in Rochester.

We also had a GLARING hole at 3C. Right now, our 3C was scheduled to be Peyton Krebs. McLeod is a major upgrade there.

Did Adams overpay? Yep. Did he overpay for a NEED? Yep. Did he use our surplus of similar-ish prospects to do so? Yep.

Don't mind this one bit.
I mean Krebs was supposed to have that kind of potential. Obviously wasn't working out though.

if this was Rosen for McLeod, I wouldn't be mad if i were a Sabres fan. But Savoie was a high pick. Has high potential. That's just a downgrade in talent. And what's Helenius spot ever going to be then?
May as well have just traded that pick to upgrade the roster instead.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Wrong. Very wrong.
There's nothing wrong about it. Mcleod sucks period. All he can do is skate. Doesn't hit, plays just die on his stick. There's a reason he was in the pressbox in the playoffs. Clearing his 2.1m cap hit for even like a 4th rd pick would have been a win, never mind the 9th overall from 2 years ago.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad