Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Sabres got sold the whole "McLeod now has Stanley Cup Finals experience!" line and valued that aspect. Making a Cup final improves the trade value of most of your players because other GMs do think there is value in that experience.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I want to know how Adam’s explains this trade to his boss. Either way he’s gonna look dumb unless McLeod breaks out for 60 points this year

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Savoie is by no means a sure thing at the NHL level but I’m surprised they didn’t bundle him with something else to get someone a little more…intriguing

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Bowman is coming lol
roddy-piper.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Crabapple and Bond

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And ANOTHER reminder for the wise guys here who keep saying to every deal proposal how it makes no sense.....lol. It often makes sense for at least 1 management.

The value here is just terrible.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If the Oilers ever traded a guy they just drafted 9th overall 2 years ago for a player like McLeod, I would say they were f'n morons. Even if Savoie turns out to be nothing, you don't trade a recent prospect you drafted that high for a player of that level.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.

McLeod legitimately has the least snarl out of everyone that was on the Oilers roster last year. I know it’s not what Buffalo fans want to hear, but he couldn’t battle his way out of a wet paper bag. He’s a depth scorer who can skate, but will shy away from any contact

Reactions: Oilhawks and PBandJ

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The biggest win is the fact that Savoie is on year 1 of his ELC. Unless he lights it up at training cap, he will start with the Condors freeing up all of McLeod's cap space.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers could always turn around and move this player at the deadline too and probably get something significantly (better than McLeod anyway). A recent top 10 pick who has good post draft production will have value at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad