Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
McLeod brings speed and but doesn’t get into the corners or win his battles very well. He’s probably not ideal to run a line as a #3C consistently but with some improvement with using his body and finishing, he’ll be fine and there’s no reason he won’t improve further.

Very likeable character too. Hope he does well for Buffalo.

I have no idea about Savoie, but if anything, it sounds like the Oilers have a trade chip at the deadline.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Who tf is this Janet Jackson and how did he fall on Edmonton's laps?
Another McDavid nepotism hire like Knoblauch.

Looks like McDavid actually was surrounded by talented people.

1720212887297.png

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
It looks one-sided in Edmonton's favor, but Buffalo is getting a strong middle six guy with speed to burn on a favorable contract. And Tullio, who projects as a solid bottom six option in a couple seasons. Good prospect.

Excited to see how Savoie performs in Bakersfield this year. He may just end up being ammo at the deadline.
This is a very good point. The Oilers now have some great options to flip at the deadline if they need to.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Every GM in the league should be calling Kevyn Adams to what can be poached

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
McLeod has glimpses but that was when he was put on the wing on draisaitl’s line. As a third line center he has not been good. So if buffalo’s gm thinks McLeod is that third line center they’ve been looking for, oh boy. Better off having him on the wing.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo this trade is fine. It's not like McLeod is a failed project. He's young and still improving, with some great physical attributes. He has NHL experience as well, including in the playoffs. McLeod helps the Sabres today, and Tulio is a fine prospect. We'll see how good Savoie really is.

The trade makes sense. Buffalo has talent in the pipeline but needs players ready to contribute today. Edmonton is bursting with NHL depth but need to bolster the pipeline with talent that can jump in as players like Hyman and Nuge lose a step

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckG

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Lol what the hell has Stankoven done at the NHL level?

Seth Jarvis is a good pickup for the Canes, but for every Seth Jarvis there are 10 Denisenkos.

All I'm saying is there needs to be extra consideration towards these undersized guys even if they possess elite skill, they need to have some physical qualities to their game to make up for their lack of size to succeed at the NHL level.
Score at a 48 point pace as a 21 year old isn’t too shabby

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Hard to believe no one else in the league could beat that for Savoie
I doubt many teams want a Savoie on their team. Even if he's skilled enough to play top 6 in the NHL, you still don't want too many small guys in your lineup. A lot of teams already have their undersized skill guy in the top 6 and don't feel the need to add more of that.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I can definitely see what Buffalo is doing, and Savoie is just one of their many high-potential forwards.

For the Oilers, at the very worst, it’s a salary dump, and you have Savoie’s potential on top of that.

It just seems like a long time since the Oilers got full value or more in a trade (maybe other than Ekholm).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not a chance I would trade a 1st for McLeod, especially a player drafted 9th overall. McLeod at this moment is a 4th line center. His overall offensive creation is extremely bad, he wasn't good enough to stay as the Oilers 3rd line center. For a 1st I would expect a more impactful player.
Then Mcleod would never have been traded. It’d take more than a 1st rd puck to get Mcleod, and that’s exactly what Buffalo paid.

Now depending on the quality of Savoie as a prospect will determine if this is mostly fair or a slight over pay. But this trade value is for the most part, FAIR.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Is Savoie the 2nd coming of Gretzky to people out west? This is so confusing to me. He’s very possibly the 3rd best winger we’ve drafted since 2022. 5th best since 2020.

He’s a good player, sure. But he’s a small winger and has durability concerns.
We traded our 2M 4th line centre for him.

They could flip Savoie at the deadline for a D upgrade.

Most assumed a 3rd at most for McLeod since Edmonton needed to shed cap.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Savoie's game has been trending very positively, though. Let's say that Savoie ends up becoming like Logan Stankoven. Unlikely, but there's a possibility. Is that kind of player only worth Ryan McLeod? Hell no. This trade is still quite a huge risk for Buffalo.
The last time a prospect of this “calibre” was traded out of nowhere like this was when Griffin Reinhart was moved to Edmonton. Buffalo clearly knows something about Savoie that others don’t. Otherwise you ride it out with a prospect you drafted 9th overall. I love this move for Buffalo.

Small offensive forwards aren’t how you win in he NHL now.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad