Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Well hell, I don’t know why I read it as Bouchard and not McLeod. What grab for Edmonton.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
You would think Edmonton would have to attach alot to get this deal done... Get a high end prospect and also more Cap room... Shoulda been Mcleod+++ for savoie.

OR McLeod ++ for future considerations

Reactions: Mav3rick07

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Savoie fell down Sabres prospect pool IMO

Personally had Ostlund, Kulich, Konsta ahead of him.

This immediately makes the Sabres better. 3C WAS A HUGE NEED. LFG!!!
In the playoffs he avoided contact and was terrible to the point where he got benched. He only had 4 points in 24 games and did next to nothing. And this was his fourth time to the playoffs as well. Been awful every single playoff year. Very fast. Soft as charmin.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I suspect EDM is adding a piece or 2. There's just no way McLeod+Tullio brought back Matt Savoie.
This almost never happens unless the insiders talk about ‘other pieces’

Not terribly sure why the Sabres did this deal unless they think McLeod is a 2C. But the fact they got another player, I don’t know. They must be giving up on Savoie.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So they can trade him for the biggest need on their team….

I don’t get how people are so shocked at this. The sabres are absolutely loaded with talent in their pipeline. This is exactly how we need to use it. Fill the remaining needs on our team. A big 3C that very good defensively is EXACTLY what we’ve been waiting for.

Savoie has had some lagging injury stuff since we drafted him too which was slightly concerning. He’s overkill For us at this point.
Lol but that isn’t McLeod he avoids contact and going to tough areas much of the time

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nothing trade, Savoie had "bust" written all over him from the draft. Definition of a guy who plays a junior game with very little transferable skills to the NHL.

That being said, Edmonton might be one of the few places he could actually work, just stick him on a line with McDavid or Draisaitl and he'll have enough skill to finish on the magic they create.

But it's a long shot. Never liked Savioe's game one bit. One of those flashy junior players that fans always overrated the hell of.
Only 20 definately has some skill and produces --. Could be interesting - better offensive characteristics than McLeod who has paralyzed hands and brain gos numb some

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Many, many Sabres fans have called for Adams to do something along these lines.

Savoie, Benson, Rosen, Neuchev, Ostlund and even to an extent Kulich and even Helenius are all cut from the same broad cloth: smallish skill-heavy forwards. We were getting a MAJOR clog in Rochester.

We also had a GLARING hole at 3C. Right now, our 3C was scheduled to be Peyton Krebs. McLeod is a major upgrade there.

Did Adams overpay? Yep. Did he overpay for a NEED? Yep. Did he use our surplus of similar-ish prospects to do so? Yep.

Don't mind this one bit.
You may still have a hole at 3C. McLeod worked as our 4C, or as a middle six winger. His time as 3C was so great we needed to upgrade at the deadline.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair trade.

I’d love to say we fleeced Buffalo. But Mcleod’s value, should be a 1st atleast.

You only think this is a fleece if you under rate Mcleod. Obviously Mcleod had value to get a prospect like Savoie.
Lol McLeod fan eh? He isn’t good

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I think that size is what scares Buffalo about Savoie, especially in regards to his potential at actually being a center. If you think that teams like Florida are the future and you see Savoie as a chip to give you a large, cost-controlled piece down the middle (McLeod is 6'3"/188), I get this trade. I just think that it could be really short-sighted on Buffalo's end.
But McLeod? Dude shys away from physicality. Great speed,but he peels from contact, just watch his playoff game. He may have size, but he doesn’t use it, or play with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad