Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think that size is what scares Buffalo about Savoie, especially in regards to his potential at actually being a center. If you think that teams like Florida are the future and you see Savoie as a chip to give you a large, cost-controlled piece down the middle (McLeod is 6'3"/188), I get this trade. I just think that it could be really short-sighted on Buffalo's end.
the thing is, no one is softer than Ryan McLeod...dude was scratched in the playoffs

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

cc

Feb 28, 2002
wow. shocking return for McLeod

Even if Savoie's size was scary for some, one would think he was still worth much more than a 3rd line checking center. Edm probably had to clear cap so should have been more desperate to move McLeod but you wouldn't think that with this trade.

I wonder if Ostlund is available.... hmm

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
McLeod is a good get for them but the value just seems.. like we could look back on this in a few and think it’s the worst trade in a while

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
If you think Ryan McLeod fits that mold, you are going to be very disappointed. He refused to get into the battle in the playoffs, and that's why, despite all of the great tools he has, he was expendable. You'll get a good penalty killer, but unless he gets the message that he may eventually need to take or make a hit, he won't be much else.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's the best trade this team has pulled off in 30 f***ing years. My god.

Also, Ryan McLeod is a solid player and I think Sabres fans will like him, but there's zero question that Buffalo overpaid here.

• Haha
Reactions: Fraser28

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So they can trade him for the biggest need on their team….

I don’t get how people are so shocked at this. The sabres are absolutely loaded with talent in their pipeline. This is exactly how we need to use it. Fill the remaining needs on our team. A big 3C that very good defensively is EXACTLY what we’ve been waiting for.

Savoie has had some lagging injury stuff since we drafted him too which was slightly concerning. He’s overkill For us at this point.
Or maybe this is why in a state with 3 teams that Buffalo remains the most irrelevant despite the fact the other two teams haven’t won a Cup in 30+ years. Poor asset management.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you think Ryan McLeod fits that mold, you are going to be very disappointed. He refused to get into the battle in the playoffs, and that's why, despite all of the great tools he has, he was expendable. You'll get a good penalty killer, but unless he gets the message that he may eventually need to take or make a hit, he won't be much else.
yeah. Ryan McLeod is a lot of things - fast, defensively sound, a good PKer, solid playmaker, a nice kid - but snarl? Don't let his size fool you. In the "snarl" department he ranks a 1/10

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
From an outside perspective, McLeod has been better on the wing than center IMO. But is a natural centerman.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Moving Savoie is fine, moving him for McLeod is ... weird. You would think they could have chased a guy like Sissons or Geekie with that kind of offer.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ryan McLeod is the perfect 3C and penalty killer but is also the softest player in the league

Matt Savoie has top 6 potential and is also a bust

this thread has got it all
Savoie is a great prospect. Buffalo is just flush with promising young players. Us Sabres fans are happy with the trade knowing we paid 1.25 on a dollar. Sad to see Savoie go ,though.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Nothing trade, Savoie had "bust" written all over him from the draft. Definition of a guy who plays a junior game with very little transferable skills to the NHL.

That being said, Edmonton might be one of the few places he could actually work, just stick him on a line with McDavid or Draisaitl and he'll have enough skill to finish on the magic they create.

But it's a long shot. Never liked Savioe's game one bit. One of those flashy junior players that fans always overrated the hell of.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
This might be the worst trade I have seen a team make with a top prospect since Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

There is obviously no guarantee Savoie will turn into a very good NHLer but honestly McLeod is not even close to worth that kind of value in a trade. I would have been happy if the Oilers could have just moved his cap hit for a 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
HAHA I thought I was dreaming. Hate to see Tullio go tho. He's going to be a player for Buffalo. Just going to require some time

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
wow. shocking return for McLeod

Even if Savoie's size was scary for some, one would think he was still worth much more than a 3rd line checking center. Edm probably had to clear cap so should have been more desperate to move McLeod but you wouldn't think that with this trade.

I wonder if Ostlund is available.... hmm
not a center on a good team, a bottom six winger with speed...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If that’s the full deal that’s wild. Savoie is trending very well
Maybe Buffalo's management doesn't see the progression they would like from Savoie.
How are people this shocked about a big return for a center after seeing massive contracts for centers and massive trade returns for centers.

Mcleod was 100% worth a 1st++.

25, excellent defensively and on the kill, one of the better skaters in the league. quality 3Cs are a rare commodity
He's better on the wing. Not good at faceoffs at all. I don't think most Oiler fans thought he was worth a 1st. If we thought that, we probably would have been talking about him more on draft day.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Fair trade.

I’d love to say we fleeced Buffalo. But Mcleod’s value, should be a 1st atleast.

You only think this is a fleece if you under rate Mcleod. Obviously Mcleod had value to get a prospect like Savoie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad