Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Years ago.....if one could see through his pro-small-skater bias......his rankings often made sense and were coherent.

But now? Holy hell is he awful when it comes to rankings. The example I used on the Sabres board is Savoie's teammate -- Zach Benson. Pronman has basically nothing bad to say about him.....ranks his compete as high-end and his shot, puck skills and sense all above average.....and then puts him 62 for god only knows what reason.

And now let's look at Savoie. Above average in: skating, hockey sense, compete and shot. He mentions "skill" in Savoie's writeup twice in a positive light....then ranks his skill as average. And he's ranked 143? GTFOH with that crap.

Pronman is a shell of himself and becoming more of a joke with each ranking he posts.
I get really annoyed with some of the average grades he throws around. In particular average skating is one that you can see and know translates in some aspects, so I really cannot even defend a bunch of the prospects it appears with.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I just don't understand this trade. Seems like an unforced error by Buffalo's gm.... but maybe I'm missing something when it comes to Matt Savoie. I think I've got a pretty good handle on McLeod although I admit I don't know much about Tullio.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Savoie got overrated on these boards, but lets not use Pronman's list as any sort of evidence. Even if you focus on specific team lists, there are some real strange assessments.

Yeah I don't want to shit talk Pronman too much, but he's an absolute freak about skating. He overrates the hell out of strong skaters, hence why he has had guys like Daniel Sprong as a top-15 prospect in the NHL. It's not surprising he loves McLeod as well because McLeod is a terrific skater. That alone is enough for Pronman for some players it seems.

Speaking of the Penguins, he has Pickering at 92 and McGroarty at 148, which I'd bet that literally no one else involved with Penguins prospects would agree with.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
As stated before the Sabres are going to love watching McLeod speed 1st 10 games and then be so disappointed with his hockey IQ and finish he is faster than Eichel was with the Sabres but he has 4th liner hockey sense and finish

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
some of us hated it from the start, the rest are in coping mechanism mode.
You never know maybe with a bigger role with the Sabres he will have that epiphany moment, some players do figure it out later in their Careers, but he has the tools to be a solid producer he just needs the know how

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo this trade was pretty much a cap move by the Oilers. Similar to Broberg and Holloway, the Oilers just can’t afford to keep their top young guys.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I mean McLeod himself is quite a loveable person, but the player always leaves you wanting more.

Just doesn't have what it takes to be on a contender unless it was as a 4th liner and he made too much money for that.

His biggest knock since junior was he shys away from contact. Now earlier in 2024 it was being talked about on local radio and the guest had said his good friend scouted him a lot in junior and the knock was he goes to the outside far too much instead of driving the net, so why would that change in the NHL. Literally a week later McLeod did start going to the tough areas and looked great, but it lasted a week and just wasn't there nearly enough when the games mattered.

His not a horrible pickup if you are trying to make that next step of getting to the playoffs, but if that next step is going far in the playoffs he just doesn't have it in him.

Like many others if his contract was lower than contending teams would be all over the guy, but at 2.1mil that's too much for a contending team.
im not going to act like hes junk because he isn't, but he does't play physical at all and will shy away from contact. Hes very fast and thats what most of his game is. Hands aren't the best. He's a bottom six guy, he won't do well in a top six position.

Imo this trade was pretty much a cap move by the Oilers. Similar to Broberg and Holloway, the Oilers just can’t afford to keep their top young guys.
or afford to keep players that aren't contributing/playing the right way in key spots.

Reactions: wetcoast

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
im not going to act like hes junk because he isn't, but he does't play physical at all and will shy away from contact. Hes very fast and thats what most of his game is. Hands aren't the best. He's a bottom six guy, he won't do well in a top six position.

or afford to keep players that aren't contributing/playing the right way in key spots.
Those three were pretty good on this last playoff run. IMO it’s a cap crunch.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I don't want to shit talk Pronman too much, but he's an absolute freak about skating. He overrates the hell out of strong skaters, hence why he has had guys like Daniel Sprong as a top-15 prospect in the NHL. It's not surprising he loves McLeod as well because McLeod is a terrific skater. That alone is enough for Pronman for some players it seems.

Speaking of the Penguins, he has Pickering at 92 and McGroarty at 148, which I'd bet that literally no one else involved with Penguins prospects would agree with.
It's not even that. He also highly overrated smaller guys who have great statistical years in jr or show high skill, in the hopes that guys is the next Kane, Point, Marner, Debrincat, Gaudreau, etc. But, if those guys don't cement themselves as top 6 players with high-skill, you just as often miss on guys like Brady Tkachuk who have clear translatable skills with significant value in the NHL. Undersized guys who put up great totals in junior were undervalued for so long, by a certain group of draft analysts a large portion of them became dramatically overvalued in that think tank. We talk about the Marner's (who were highly valued by NHL scouts in general) and forget about the Jeremy Bracco's who showed up high on these lists for ages.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ehhh I think it’s more that McLeod couldn’t solidly himself as the 3C which necessitated the Henrique trade and subsequent re-signing. Proven scoring wingers are relatively easy to find which pushed him down the lineup into a spot where he became expendable.

I had high hopes for him and his defensive results were encouraging but you can’t have a third line that produces zero offense. I liked him on the wing with Draisaitl but didn’t see him enough without a star centre to think he can produce enough offense to justify a spot in the top 9.

I do hope he finds his offensive game in Buffalo. Would make him a quality middle 6 player.

Reactions: The Nuge

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
yup, pretty. good for 1mil, not 2.3 or 4.6.

Especially Broberg, dead last in stats over his 10 game stint.
Let’s be honest, once they started putting the whole defence on Conner, they were able to shut down the oiler offence. I don’t think it was just those 3.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Small and injuries is why Savoie was moved. Surplus forward prospects didn't hurt.

Reactions: LTIR

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I think this is one of those helps both teams type of trades although it could end up looking ugly for the Sabers as Savoie has some serious skill and might blossom in his hometown.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Small and injuries is why Savoie was moved. Surplus forward prospects didn't hurt.
You guys had a surplus of forward prospects, Oilers had nothing good in the pipeline.
Win win for both sides.. small but still a win.

McLeod is a decent player on par with a player like Foegele. Oilers just couldn't afford them

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Holloway and Broberg were. McLeod was not.
Holloway and Mcleod both had some good stretches of hockey in last years playoffs but both were riding the bench near the end of close games. I thought Broberg looked good during his 12 game stint even though the statistics show the opposite. Mcleod should excel in Buffalo, there's no pressure to win yet so he has time to mature his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad