Confirmed with Link: Buchnevich signs extension with the Blues (6 years, $8M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I keep saying we're not rebuilding, that Army truly believes this team is a light tool away from being real contenders. Buch is one of the centerpieces, so it's go time to reopen that window.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
yeah BuchA! <3
bucha-Hatty-Avs-Nov2023.jpg

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I keep saying we're not rebuilding, that Army truly believes this team is a light tool away from being real contenders. Buch is one of the centerpieces, so it's go time to reopen that window.
Buch is not someone you build around, he's a complimentary piece. They need to find someone to help Thomas and also free up the dead cap space from Krug. KYROU must either take the next step and level up or be traded for being a cancer and underperformer.

• Haha
Reactions: Cotton McKnight

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Buch is not someone you build around, he's a complimentary piece. They need to find someone to help Thomas and also free up the dead cap space from Krug. KYROU must either take the next step and level up or be traded for being a cancer and underperformer.
What? Buch is probably like the 3rd or 4th most important player on this roster behind maybe Thomas, Parayko, and Binnington. Dude scored 83 goals and 206 points in 216 games with the Blues playing on average a little more than 19 minutes a game, plays on the 1st pp and pk units, and is one of the only other two-way forwards on this team who can defend well. If you think that Buch is a complimentary piece, then ROR was a complimentary piece to... *checks notes* Tarasenko, Schenn, and Petro.

I know that you're just trolling 99% of the time and I know this is a character for you, but it would be nice every once in a while to have a coherent criticism of the team with some amount of evidence to back it up. Repeating this line of Kyrou being a cancer, an underperformer, taking to tik tok to watch his own highlight reels(?), idk it gets boring reading it for the 87th time.

LetsGoBooze

Dickinson was in range...
Jan 16, 2012
He wanted to stay and if the best offer was a late 1st and B prospect im fine with holding on Buch. The signing might slightly hurt our draft slot next year but hopefully our scouts keep maximizing our draft position. He's still got 5 productive years left in him and impacts all parts of the game.

Reactions: Blueston

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Ef this site and the refreshes. I tried a few times to put in a reply and it gets wiped before I can save it. Nevermind…

This is basically the Schenn deal minus the contention window. It’s going to hurt in the long run, but what exactly is in it right now? 3-5 years of being the Minnesota Wild?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
We can’t rebuild whether a general manager wants to or not. We don’t have the market for a rebuild. Fans won’t show up if we suck and we don’t have filthy rich ownership like the Sabres to just take massive losses.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We can’t rebuild whether a general manager wants to or not. We don’t have the market for a rebuild. Fans won’t show up if we suck and we don’t have filthy rich ownership like the Sabres to just take massive losses.
Why would we want to be the Sabres? The fascination by so many with tearing it all down and rebuilding is just so odd.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Nobody wants to be the Sabres, but does anybody want to be the Wild either?
I don’t get why folks think we will be like wild. Wild are incredibly stupid. Their problems are almost entirely of their own doing in buying out parise and suter and needlessly strangling team cap situation for half decade. That isn’t what we did.

We are trying follow path like Dallas or bruins, where we create culture, have vets show kids how to play winning hockey, grow kids you draft (not just 1st or 2nd oa even) into stars, and then supplement with trades/fa rather than stripping it bare and hoping for luck with ping pong balls.

It might not necessarily lead to Cup, but it leads to much more fun team to follow and legit chance at Cup (which at this point is all we can do, as nothing is guaranteed regardless of path). Obviously you need to make smart moves whichever path you choose, and that ultimately is key.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Nobody wants to be the Sabres, but does anybody want to be the Wild either?
The Wild sucked for a long time because they neither had the personnel nor the cap to make their team better. They bought way too high and Parise and Suter and then bought them out and completely destroyed their cap. Their drafting and scouting (both amateur and pro) haven't necessarily been great, so all that culminates into a mediocre team. They've hit really hard on a few prospects, but the vision has been confusing for a long time.

Reactions: Blueston

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The hell are you talking about?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
What? Buch is probably like the 3rd or 4th most important player on this roster behind maybe Thomas, Parayko, and Binnington. Dude scored 83 goals and 206 points in 216 games with the Blues playing on average a little more than 19 minutes a game, plays on the 1st pp and pk units, and is one of the only other two-way forwards on this team who can defend well. If you think that Buch is a complimentary piece, then ROR was a complimentary piece to... *checks notes* Tarasenko, Schenn, and Petro.

I know that you're just trolling 99% of the time and I know this is a character for you, but it would be nice every once in a while to have a coherent criticism of the team with some amount of evidence to back it up. Repeating this line of Kyrou being a cancer, an underperformer, taking to tik tok to watch his own highlight reels(?), idk it gets boring reading it for the 87th time.
That is TRUE, ROR was a complimentary piece, you don't build around him either.

The people that 2019 team were built around was Pietrangelo, Steen, Tarasenko & Schwartz. This signing is equivalent to Schenn. They are complimentary players.

Will this contract be as brutal as Krug's or Kyrou's? I don't think so, but really isnt worth the risk when we are not close to contending. This team has done nothing at all to help solve the real key issues as to why they are a bottom feeder and until that happens, I would much rather build towards the future than risk another contract like this blowing up in our faces and handcuffing them more down the road.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t get why folks thing we will be wild. Wild are incredibly stupid. Their problems are almost entirely of their own doing in buying out parise and suter and needlessly strangling team cap situation for hakf decade. That isn’t what we did.

We are trying follow path like Dallas or bruins, where we create culture, have vets show kids how to play winning hockey, grow kids you draft (not just 1st or 2nd oa even) into stars, and then supplement with trades/fa rather than stripping it bare and hoping for luck with ping pong balls.

It might not necessarily lead to Cup, but it leads to much more fun team to follow and legit chance at Cup (which at this point is all we can do, as nothing is guaranteed regardless of path). Obviously you need to make smart moves whichever path you choose, and that ultimately is key.
If we are saying we are trying to be like Dallas, we should add the caveat: minus Miro.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
What kind of a player will Buch be in 3-4 years when the Blues are ready to compete?

Ef this site and the refreshes. I tried a few times to put in a reply and it gets wiped before I can save it. Nevermind…

This is basically the Schenn deal minus the contention window. It’s going to hurt in the long run, but what exactly is in it right now? 3-5 years of being the Minnesota Wild?

Pay the few dollars and be a sponsor. Best thing I ever did. It solves all those problems

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If we are saying we are trying to be like Dallas, we should add the caveat: minus Miro.
there is no perfect analogue. obviously miro is better than any d we have or are likely to have anytime soon. i put him top 5 in league, maybe higher. but he is only top 5 pick they've had in over 25 years and their only other top 10 picks in the last 25 years combined for 23 goals for Stars. and they have some really nice forwards, but nobody elite.

So they have been able to build this team by drafting well, making smart moves, and developing their players. basically the path that we are trying to navigate. and yes, i realize it's easier to be dallas if we had miro, but boston is similar and mcavoy was picked 14 and pasta later than that. perhaps thomas can be that guy for us. or one of our kids. or we could perhaps deal potential excess of young talent for the next ror or mtk or hossa or whomever.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We are at that point no matter which way you cut it: this team can’t make the playoffs as it is. Two years now.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
The people that 2019 team were built around was Pietrangelo, Steen, Tarasenko & Schwartz. This signing is equivalent to Schenn. They are complimentary players.
Steen? Love the guy but he was a 4th liner who could hop up to the 3rd line when needed. He doesn't even register in terms of individual importance. That 4th line was great and a pain to play against, but Steen was just a part of a bigger whole. He was not taking over games almost single-handedly in the way that guys like Pietrangelo, O'Reilly, and at times Schwartz, Tarasenko and Binnington were. In terms of skaters, in order of importance it looks like this:

1A - Pietrangelo
1B - O'Reilly
2A - Parayko/Bouwmeester/Tarasenko/Schwartz
2B - Perron/Schenn

Pietrangelo and O'Reilly were absolutely the two pillars that that team was built around. There's a clear gap between them and the next group. Those two were out there for just about every important situation, offensively or defensively, powerplay, penalty kill, you name it. They were clutch, they elevated their games in big moments and took over games/series. O'Reilly got better and better as the playoffs went on, but he absolutely dominated against Boston with 9 points in 7 games, and a goal in each of the last four games (5 total) while playing stellar defensively. He outplayed HOF perennial Selke winner Bergeron in what was a career year for him.

Games 4-7 of the Final:
O'Reilly: 5G, 2A, 7PTS, +7
Bergeron: 0G, 1A, 1PTS, -2

That's the kind of player you build around.

Reactions: Blueston and jura

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
We are at that point no matter which way you cut it: this team can’t make the playoffs as it is. Two years now.
Eh, I am very skeptical of the Blues long term plan and ambitions but I think you’re overstating how difficult it is for a team to make the NHL playoffs. Outside of maybe 5 teams in the league any roster is a flukey PDO fueled couple months away from making the postseason. I agree that it’s not likely this roster makes the playoffs, but saying they “can’t” is extreme.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Steen? Love the guy but he was a 4th liner who could hop up to the 3rd line when needed. He doesn't even register in terms of individual importance. That 4th line was great and a pain to play against, but Steen was just a part of a bigger whole. He was not taking over games almost single-handedly in the way that guys like Pietrangelo, O'Reilly, and at times Schwartz, Tarasenko and Binnington were. In terms of skaters, in order of importance it looks like this:

1A - Pietrangelo
1B - O'Reilly
2A - Parayko/Bouwmeester/Tarasenko/Schwartz
2B - Perron/Schenn

Pietrangelo and O'Reilly were absolutely the two pillars that that team was built around. There's a clear gap between them and the next group. Those two were out there for just about every important situation, offensively or defensively, powerplay, penalty kill, you name it. They were clutch, they elevated their games in big moments and took over games/series. O'Reilly got better and better as the playoffs went on, but he absolutely dominated against Boston with 9 points in 7 games, and a goal in each of the last four games (5 total) while playing stellar defensively. He outplayed HOF perennial Selke winner Bergeron in what was a career year for him.

Games 4-7 of the Final:
O'Reilly: 5G, 2A, 7PTS, +7
Bergeron: 0G, 1A, 1PTS, -2

That's the kind of player you build around.

I’m not sure you’re paying Buch to be that guy when we’re in our next perceived window.

You’re paying him to help create a culture right now and not send Kyrou/Thomas through a boat load of meaningless hockey while they’re still in a development window.

I too have the concern of how we can acquire/add a 1D with this strategy. But all we’re really counting on from this forward group of prospects is 2 to be top 6 players. 8m is far from crippling, like Steens contract was. If we have to have Buch a veteran with a history of being a fantastic 200 foot player on our 3rd line in 4-5 years at around presumably 8 or less percent of the cap, it would take multiple bad moves for that to completely hinder us, or other guys not stepping up and into roles in which we need them to.

The only veteran contacts we will have in 4 years will be Schenn expiring, Parayko and Buch. And that will be for about 21m. If we can’t competently have 4 or 5 bridge deals or ELCs scattered in there with the amount of draft capital we’ve had over the last couple of years, I think our development program is more of a failure than the contracts we’ve handed out.

Reactions: stl76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad