News Article: Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I'd have no problems with Luongo. I don't understand all the hatred for the guy. The fact he's been blamed 100% for the failures of the Canucks is wrong on so many levels. If you could get him at 4 years for $18 or $19 million over that time, then I hope the Flyers do it. However, something says Mike Gillis is going to hold out and still try to make a deal for Luongo.

I've noticed over the past few years that I have a growing love for the Flyers, I'm not sure why or when it started but its there and I've found myself quietly rooting for them in the east, I'm a Canucks fan and I ghost your forum a lot, a few things to be said on this subject.

In my opinion, Luongo will not be bought out, I personally feel like there is a trade to be made, however small. On top of that, I really don't think he would make it past waivers, I think the people who believe he would have been swallowing too much TSN ********.

That being said, I would love to see him in a Flyers uniform next season, I would be thrilled and would buy the jersey in a heartbeat, I would also 100% watch many of the games. I'm pretty surprised people are willing to roll the dice on Mason but w/e I really feel like Luongo would give your team what its been missing for years and think the battle of Pennsylvania wouldn't be very close.

Its only my opinion on the buy out, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he ends up here though.

*edit* Just make sure none of you show interest in him on the main boards or it'll be a **** storm of disgusting offers going both ways.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I agree. Which again is why I haven't said this is what they ARE doing or what they SHOULD do. All I am saying, and have been saying, is that if they want to do this, they have to do it right and be 100% comitted to him, at least for this year. If they are not doing this, fine. But again, IMO you have to either say we are going to give Mason the shot at being the guy for the future or you have to say Mason is not our guy. You can't say, "Let's see what we have in Mason, oh by the way we are going to bring in a better goalie on a bigger contract." That is a bad idea.

I would absolutely call him a stop gap. Stop-gap doesn't mean he is not a good goalie. I have said from the beginning that Luongo is better than Mason. The problem is that he will turn 35 next season. Realistically, he has what, 3-4 years tops? Best case scenario Luongo is your starter for 3-4 years. That is best case. Injuries, age, etc. might have a say in that. Again, as I have said, I wouldn't be opposed to that. But it would still be a stop-gap, as in, not a long term solution (see: Roman Cechmanek, Robert Esche, Brian Boucher, etc).

My basic point has been from the beginning is that the Flyers have to go all-in basically. Go with Mason or move on. Bring in a guy to challenge him, fine. No qualms with that. But bringing in Luongo would not be challenge, it would be making Mason the backup (which is fine, if that is what you want to do, but if you think Mason has a shot to be the starter, bringing in another starting goalie will not help in that regard).

Unless you're expecting a Brodeur or Lundqvist, 3-4 years of quality goaltending is definitely not a stop-gap. I'd take the first four years of Marc-Andre Fleury's time in Pittsburgh (this year was his fifth; if he's jettisoned now, the Pens had a good run with him). Goalie turnover is a part of hockey; very few stay elite for more than a handful of years. If anyone would be an example of a stop-gap, though, it'd be Backstrom; possibly one year of strong goaltending left and questionable at best every year afterwards.

Mason needs time to get his game back, if he can. I don't want to see the Flyers fall behind the pack using that time with Mason as a starter. I think he's better suited to have a reduced role; you seem to believe that a reduced role will hamper his ability to reclaim his form. (Barring a trade) There is nobody that the Flyers can sign, other than Luongo (possibly), that would be clear #1 for the Flyers at the start of the 13/14 season, so we're likely going to see Mason as the #1 (barf) or see Mason as part of a tandem.

Last edited:

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
This is just common sense. we were not gonna win a cup with him because he hates playing here. I'm still a fan of his tho and i know if he stays in the NHL he'll play well somewhere else. He went from being a big quick goalie with great reflexes to a lethargic depressed mess that couldn't get into position on easy shots. He just cracked when it came to that money like most goalies do. and Lou aint comin here. dude wants to play in florida. LA should just realize they can't keep bernier and hand him over.

SgtJoseph*

Bryz is one of those players that for whatever reason I cannot help but pull for to do well. Having said that, it will probably be the best move for both parties in my view. Bryz needs to go to a place like BOB did where the expectations and pressure are not nearly as great as in Philly...I think Bryz, like BOB are much better suited for the " underdog" type situation. I think BOB will be ready for the BIG market in the near future, he just needed the right situation where he could grow and mature. A Vezina for BOB will surely take him along nicely into the future. Love to see him come home to Philly one day !

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I think I'd sign Luongo if he gets bought out rather than trade Read for Bernier. We already have a young project in net with Mason. Unless we are rebuilding(which is taboo here),which the Streit trade suggests otherwise. I say swing for the fence with Loungo and hope he can at least push Mason to his Calder winning self.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'd have no problems with Luongo. I don't understand all the hatred for the guy. The fact he's been blamed 100% for the failures of the Canucks is wrong on so many levels. If you could get him at 4 years for $18 or $19 million over that time, then I hope the Flyers do it. However, something says Mike Gillis is going to hold out and still try to make a deal for Luongo.

If Vancouver buys him out I'd love to get him for the type of deal you're talking about. I doubt Mason is the answer, he was relieved to get out of Columbus and the Flyers' players were relieved to have a goalie that wasn't named Bryz or Leighton. The sample size with Mason is way too small but Luongo is a very good goalie and he can handle the pressure from a rabid hockey town like Vancouver with a ton of media.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think I'd sign Luongo if he gets bought out rather than trade Read for Bernier. We already have a young project in net with Mason. Unless we are rebuilding(which is taboo here),which the Streit trade suggests otherwise. I say swing for the fence with Loungo and hope he can at least push Mason to his Calder winning self.

I've been advocating for Luongo for a while now (if he gets bought-out). He gets a bad wrap from a lot of people but he really isn't as bad as most of them make him out to be. He's not the Luongo of a few years ago who was one of the best in the league but he's still a good goalie. I think he's got 3-4 years left in the tank.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I like Bryz still, but kind of needs to be done now that Mason is here and there's guys like Bernier out there. Wish we still had Bobrovsky to be honest. =(

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I've been advocating for Luongo for a while now (if he gets bought-out). He gets a bad wrap from a lot of people but he really isn't as bad as most of them make him out to be. He's not the Luongo of a few years ago who was one of the best in the league but he's still a good goalie. I think he's got 3-4 years left in the tank.
I think Philly is in a position of strength with Luongo. He won't need the big money and would most likely wanna prove himself again. I'm not the biggest fan but I think he could be a low risk high reward signing if he's bought out. Nothing more than 2-3yrs. That way if mason shines and steals the job we aren't in the hook forever AND have a good backup for the foreseeable future. I'm ok investing smartly in the goaltender position lol.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I think Philly is in a position of strength with Luongo. He won't need the big money and would most likely wanna prove himself again. I'm not the biggest fan but I think he could be a low risk high reward signing if he's bought out. Nothing more than 2-3yrs. That way if mason shines and steals the job we aren't in the hook forever AND have a good backup for the foreseeable future. I'm ok investing smartly in the goaltender position lol.

Vans GM Gillis is in the position that he has to do a trade and get something back no matter how little to save face.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Vans GM Gillis is in the position that he has to do a trade and get something back no matter how little to save face.

I don't know if hockey works like baseball where Vancouver could eat most of that money, if so I'd certainly work out a deal. 3rd rounder maybe and a decent prospect. Not sure I'd offer read for Luongo. I like read more he's a versatile forward.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
am I the only one that would much rather see Jonathan Bernier as opposed to Bobby Lou... A Read/Bernier deal makes a lot of sense to me. I really believe Read is gonna price himself off this team.. with G, Brayden, and Couts all getting new deals (and the cap going down) Read becomes more or less the odd man out... plus hes the only one the will be UFA. LA needs quality wingers in a bad way, to match with Anze, Richie, and Carter and would much rather move Bernier and collect something to help them now, then allow JB to hit RFA and get signed to an offer sheet netting them a below market draft pick (that wont help them now). The time is now to trade their 24 year old netminder. I think Read + 2013 2nd (maybe throw in Noebles/Mcginn) does it... I also think Simon Gagne (at the home town discount) can fill Reads roll no problem. Gagne is defensively responsible and can certainly chip in some goals.

Bobby Lou to me is the same story from a different book as Bryz... I thought when we signed Bryz originally this had Beezer written all over it... Like Beez we were all left disappointed. Instead of a quick fix maybe we should look at the more long term solution in net for a change. Bernier is that guy.
Yes you are. We went out an got a young goalie who showed promise that needed a change of scenery. I rather let it ride with mason/???? And keep Read and maybe move him at the deadline if we can't resign him. Bernier/Mason has disaster written all over it. That trade never happened that's why they settled on mase. Sign a backup/1b and go from there

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Philly isn't in a position of strength with him at all. He has a NTC so if the Canucks don't trade him/buy him out, he choses to stay in Vancouver or give a list of teams that he'll go to. If he's bought out that list can become bigger but at the end of the day, he's on the downside of his career and if he's like most other players he wants a cup. Why would he choose Philly? The system in place is not one that wins cups because defence is secondary to offense. He's going to want to go to a team where the forwards and defencemen help him, not expose him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't know if hockey works like baseball where Vancouver could eat most of that money, if so I'd certainly work out a deal. 3rd rounder maybe and a decent prospect. Not sure I'd offer read for Luongo. I like read more he's a versatile forward.

Vancouver is already over the 2013-2014 cap ceiling, with only 17 players signed. They can't eat most of that $.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've noticed over the past few years that I have a growing love for the Flyers, I'm not sure why or when it started but its there and I've found myself quietly rooting for them in the east, I'm a Canucks fan and I ghost your forum a lot, a few things to be said on this subject.

In my opinion, Luongo will not be bought out, I personally feel like there is a trade to be made, however small. On top of that, I really don't think he would make it past waivers, I think the people who believe he would have been swallowing too much TSN ********.

That being said, I would love to see him in a Flyers uniform next season, I would be thrilled and would buy the jersey in a heartbeat, I would also 100% watch many of the games. I'm pretty surprised people are willing to roll the dice on Mason but w/e I really feel like Luongo would give your team what its been missing for years and think the battle of Pennsylvania wouldn't be very close.

Its only my opinion on the buy out, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he ends up here though.

*edit* Just make sure none of you show interest in him on the main boards or it'll be a **** storm of disgusting offers going both ways.

I get it. Vancouver seems to be the Philadelphia of Canada in terms of how much the city seems to constantly be demonized.

I don't know if the Flyers can do a Luongo trade without getting a 3rd team involved to take someone's salary.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

I dont think anyone would claim Luongo on waivers because of his contract

potsiev2

Jul 4, 2011
Delaware
Philly isn't in a position of strength with him at all. He has a NTC so if the Canucks don't trade him/buy him out, he choses to stay in Vancouver or give a list of teams that he'll go to. If he's bought out that list can become bigger but at the end of the day, he's on the downside of his career and if he's like most other players he wants a cup. Why would he choose Philly? The system in place is not one that wins cups because defence is secondary to offense. He's going to want to go to a team where the forwards and defencemen help him, not expose him.

because this same system got them within 2 games of beating the 2010 (back when you didn't care about LA remember?) chicago team that is arguably more talented then the 2013 chicago team. This is the same system which won the canes a stanley cup. The flyers are a young growing team that needs a few more pieces before they can be as efficient with this system. I wouldn't say the flyers are in a position of strength with luongo as i feel luongo doesn't have the confidence or desire to play for a city like philly.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
I get it. Vancouver seems to be the Philadelphia of Canada in terms of how much the city seems to constantly be demonized.

I don't know if the Flyers can do a Luongo trade without getting a 3rd team involved to take someone's salary.

When I said I hope he end up a Flyer, it was more by any means necessary, after the Bryz contract I'd be surprised if your GM was willing to trade for Luongos, which is unfortunate because Lu is a damn good goalie and I'd prefer if he wasn't the one leaving Vancouver.

However if by some crazy circumstance he gets bought out, this is for sure where I hope he lands over any other team.

regardless, I hope you guys find a solid guy for your net that can steal a few games here and there, I'm under the assumption that its been quite awhile since you've had one.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
because this same system got them within 2 games of beating the 2010 (back when you didn't care about LA remember?) chicago team that is arguably more talented then the 2013 chicago team. This is the same system which won the canes a stanley cup. The flyers are a young growing team that needs a few more pieces before they can be as efficient with this system. I wouldn't say the flyers are in a position of strength with luongo as i feel luongo doesn't have the confidence or desire to play for a city like philly.

The 2010 team was totally different. Carter, Richards, Powe, Lappy, Betts, all excellent defensive forwards, plus Pronger and Kimmo on defense. The current team is nothing like that. I'm pretty sure Luongo is confident enough to play anywhere but he'd rather go to a team that is in win now mode, not win down the road when he's past his prime. He had already said he didn't intend to play out his contract a couple of years ago so he has 2-4 years to go if he still feels that way.

Clown Baby*

Absolutely. Keep your team as competitive as it can, without giving up too much!

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Goalie is the trickiest position in so many ways. Usually little serious talent available, very few elite ones, they're the hardest and most unpredictable to develop, and how much of an effect they have is a matter of debate.

Right now, considering the few things out there, I'd be fine with a Bernier/Mason tandem to be honest.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

It's past that point now. Gillis has to get the situation sorted to save his job. If he goes into next season with Lu in camp, he deserves to get fired. He has to convince ownership to buy Lu out, or trade him for whatever, or trade Schneider instead and keep Lu. Really, he should have been fired already.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Vancouver fan here. If Luongo were ever to hit UFA due to being bought out, you guys should be all over it. He's still legitimately elite, regardless of what HF might have brainwashed you into thinking about him over his contract. To not go after Luongo for free in UFA would be an absolutely laughable mistake.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad