Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign John Moore 5 years 2.75 aav

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
gotta be a deal coming, the D is overflowing with guys who very well deserve to play

I don't know... Sweeney made a comment in his presser about how you need 8D in the playoffs and that there's something to be said for getting a guy now when you don't have to give up trade assets. Last year, the Bruins gave up O'Gara and a 3rd to get Nick Holden. They just got a better player in Moore for free.

I don't know if he's spinning it that way so people will think he wants to carry 8D all year but I also don't think the guys in Providence are ready and I do believe he plans to go into next year's playoff with 8 defensemen. He always does.

That said, to me this signing makes Gryz expendable, not Krug. Krug is an impact player. You don't give that up without getting someone better. Gryz is a good young talent signed cheap. That has real trade value too. Not Krug's value, but legit value.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I don't know... Sweeney made a comment in his presser about how you need 8D in the playoffs and that there's something to be said for getting a guy now when you don't have to give up trade assets. Last year, the Bruins gave up O'Gara and a 3rd to get Nick Holden. They just got a better player in Moore for free.

I don't know if he's spinning it that way so people will think he wants to carry 8D all year but I also don't think the guys in Providence are ready and I do believe he plans to go into next year's playoff with 8 defensemen. He always does.

That said, to me this signing makes Gryz expendable, not Krug. Krug is an impact player. You don't give that up without getting someone better. Gryz is a good young talent signed cheap. That has real trade value too. Not Krug's value, but legit value.

How about we loan McQuaid to Vancouver so they can get over their grit and toughness complex then recall him for the playoffs (when Vancouver surely won't need him anyway)? Problem solved.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney likes as Bill says having 4 LHD & 4 RHD and he’s got it

Moore replaces Holden

Krug now has a modified no trade but he picks who he can’t and with a little research and creativity all bit make it complete

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Watching the presser again

This 4 and 4 D is the plan

Age and injury Cassidy as Sweeney stated likes 4 guys on each side and a diverse group

D 1-8 very good
G best since Thomas and Rask

Touched on Vaakanainen

Chara & McQuaid could be in last year kids will get chance seems none are considered ready

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Watching the presser again

This 4 and 4 D is the plan

Age and injury Cassidy as Sweeney stated likes 4 guys on each side and a diverse group

D 1-8 very good
G best since Thomas and Rask

Touched on Vaakanainen

Chara & McQuaid could be in last year kids will get chance seems none are considered ready

So are McQuaid and Gryz the extras? It just seems wasteful over the course of the season. I could see rolling with 7 and keeping McQuaid, but why not explore moving some of those extra defense pieces for help on the wings?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So are McQuaid and Gryz the extras? It just seems wasteful over the course of the season. I could see rolling with 7 and keeping McQuaid, but why not explore moving some of those extra defense pieces for help on the wings?
He said it and already did it last year

They want 4 guys on each side

He cited Krug and Carlo injury

McAvoy was out a month

Miller & McQuaid style and history

They want 4 guys and diverse skills

That is what Cassidy wants

Moore is the 3:4 slot replacing Holden

Add in Rask & Halak

The building of the 10 spors 1-10 D & G with organizational depth and drafting (Andersson for example) is impressive

Life is balance and being prepared

They are applying it to the way they are building this roster

That PC answered what I wasn’t sure

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
I like the Moore signing....$2.75m is not a big deal and Moore played top 4 minutes for a playoff team last season. This deal in no way handcuffs the team and will be a bargain if you get decent minutes out of the guy, especially as the cap goes up year after year. This is McQuaid type money for a defenseman with a much better skill set for todays NHL

If this allows them to trade Krug, Bjork and a pick for Panarin - then this signing looks even better

Right now you have Chara, McAvoy, Krug, Moore, Carlo, Grezlcyk, Miller, McQuaid - someone is getting traded, especially if they think Zboril is ready to be called up and see some action this season (I personally think Zboril looked great late in the season at Providence, he's the type of player that is just solid all around and skates well, clean passes, joins the rush, can get physical....the kind of defenseman that plays a great game without any highlights)

I would have loved Tavres, but I have no issue with todays moves....Wagner and Nordstrom are cheap money for bottom line roles, Halak is a very solid backup. The team has cap space and ammunition to make a move , they're definitely up to something. Keep in mind, we also need to resign McAvoy, Donato, Debrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Carlo in the next year or two depending on who is still here or traded

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
This is actually a good sign for you guys IMO. He moves the puck very well been following him since his Devil days in Albany. I think your defense line will be a pain in the ass if you guys use him properly.

Reactions: Alicat

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why do people think adding John Moore means Krug is going out? He's making 3rd pair money. If the signing means anything, wouldn't it mean Grzlcyk is expendable?

Griz brings back nothing in a trade.

They need to get more offense from the bottom9, somehow.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He said it and already did it last year

They want 4 guys on each side

He cited Krug and Carlo injury

McAvoy was out a month

Miller & McQuaid style and history

They want 4 guys and diverse skills

That is what Cassidy wants

Moore is the 3:4 slot replacing Holden

Add in Rask & Halak

The building of the 10 spors 1-10 D & G with organizational depth and drafting (Andersson for example) is impressive

Life is balance and being prepared

They are applying it to the way they are building this roster

That PC answered what I wasn’t sure
problem with all this is that they don't have a 3rd line center and will be feeling the pressure to give up another 1st for scoring depth in 8 months

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
problem with all this is that they don't have a 3rd line center and will be feeling the pressure to give up another 1st for scoring depth in 8 months
It’s open for competition is my take and as GDZ has been saying Heinen would be excellent

Agree on Heinen

I wish someone would ask him about that option or fallback

Donato - Heinen third line would be one heck of an option

Heinen played center in college

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I get that Krug has more value but I’m not sure I see replacing Nash as an “immediate need.” I also don’t see Moore as a viable replacement and think the move would create a bigger whole than it would fill.
Oh I’m right there too Bill. Unless we got a legit upgrade on LHD then great, I’m open to moving TK47, but I’ve yet to see that proposal or rumor.
I thought you legit wanted to
know the thought processs.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This is actually a good sign for you guys IMO. He moves the puck very well been following him since his Devil days in Albany. I think your defense line will be a pain in the ass if you guys use him properly.

Thanks for the assessment!

This is what I’ve seen from some media people about him.

Mark Divver who covers Providence as well as college hockey says that Kevin Dean will do wonders for his game.

I’m fine with the money but the term is a year or two too much right now.

I’m really looking forward to watching him play

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wait that's not allowed. He will never improve. He is the defenseman that played next to severson, in front of Keith Kincaid, on a not great Devils team. That's how we judge him.
Cassidy & Dean identified Moore as I guy to get

Cassidy is an advocate of the 4 & 4 Defensive plan

Well well well there’s a shocker

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This is what I immediately thought when I saw the signing. My guess is that they have identified his deficiencies and thought that they can be coached through.
No doubt they did what Pittsburgh did with Jack Johnson.

Their scouts plus Mike Sullivan watched all the tape on Johnson and determined that the stats at face value weren’t accurate and the advanced stats plus the organizational philosophy outweighed the negatives.

I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that Cassidy, Dean and Sweeney (all defensemen ironically) plus the stats guy watched copious amounts of tape on Moore.

Reactions: pemulis

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
No doubt they did what Pittsburgh did with Jack Johnson.

Their scouts plus Mike Sullivan watched all the tape on Johnson and determined that the stats at face value weren’t accurate and the advanced stats plus the organizational philosophy outweighed the negatives.

I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that Cassidy, Dean and Sweeney (all defensemen ironically) plus the stats guy watched copious amounts of tape on Moore.

You'd hope that, but it also could be another Beleskey situation.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
After a fun day of drinking with friends in the pool I am in a pretty good mood, so this is my most optimistic take: this contract is a ****ing nightmare and I don't think they know what they are doing.

This made me laugh heartily

But hey, Cassidy did just get nominated for the Jack Adams and came in second, he changed the style of the bruins and got the results consistently right away. Perhaps he can get Moore to hit his stride, Moore is only 27/28. Last I checked that’s not that old or I’m in trouble, but more importantly, when defensemen achieve their best. You just definitely don’t re-sign him for big money and long term at 32 if he does improve. Part of the fun watching the bruins for me is seeing if the coaching staff can get more out of players than Julien and co did

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad