Post-Game Talk: Bruins shut out 2-0 by Colorado

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I sat at ice level and I thought if not for Giguire the Bruins get points out of this- Rask was pretty good himself, but based on the chances and quality, this was probably a 4-3 or 4-2 Bruins win going by the eyeball test.

One thing about Marchand that no way the camera's caught because it was often away from the play, going back to the bench etc....but he was extremely 'chippy' my favorite play was he was heading across ice back to the bench in the second period, in the neutral zone but the offensive side and he realized he was going by Downie, you could see his antenna go up and he switched hands because he was just about past him but needed the extra foot or two and give him a nice 'love shot' to the ass.

I focused on Marchand and Eriksson last night and I didn't think he was as horrible as I been reading.

Actually, I am not sure what game half this place watched:laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I forgot that hockey season meant sheer lunacy around here hahaha.

Marchand "a softish, 3rd line type." After a game 3 of 82 loss. Classic.

yah, Bruins games are starting to take on once a week Patriots breakdown everything:help:

well, it is a message board, and they played a very good goalie last night, just like the Oakland A's faced a dialed in pitcher in Verlander. My comparison is both the A's and Bruins certainly wanted to win, and since I was at the Bruins game I thought the overall effort was there. Sometimes the other guy just is on and that was the case. Giguire is not going to get nervous, been around to long, in to many big games, so with him if he is feeling it and playing his angles, you have to work and make good shots- that is probably the only complaint the Bruins worked hard for the shots they just didn't bury any.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
So upon reading the comments in the Post Game Thread, apparently this game was pretty poorly played. If I hadn't watched the game myself that's my takeaway.

Fortunately, though, I did watch the game and know that's not the case.

Two 3-0 teams meet, both with great goaltending and a good back-and-forth tempo, lots of good plays...I don't know. I guess I thought it was actually a pretty good, balanced game. The game was really a 1-0 loss indicating just how close the game truly was. Yeah, yeah, there was an empty net goal. BFD! All of the Bruins' lines played well. There were plenty of scoring opportunities on both sides. Giguere was outstanding and came up huge for the Avs. Rask had traffic in front of him and apparently a few tips on the goal. It happens. There was lots of pregame discussion on just how good the Avs were looking so the intensity and outcome really shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. It was a very close game.

I think a lot of you are too overly critical and way too quick to cast aspersion on the players/team. Too much off base post-game analysis. Too much "my favorite player wasn't there and he would have made a difference."

There is nothing really wrong with the lines or the D pairings except in the eyes of those who are fanboys of certain players. There was plenty of speed, plenty of creativity, plenty of opportunities. And a handful of mistakes. That's because they aren't robots, they were playing a pretty good team, and it's still early in the season.

If anyone caught the pre-game Chia indicated that Bart was going to get a chance to play. His thoughts are more around not just platooning the rooks but in having all the D challenged. You could see McQuaid sit; you could see Hamilton sit; you could see Boychuck or Seids sit. My guess is probably not Chara (duh!) and likely not Krug unless he slams into some kind of wall.

Plenty of time to get players in, and to get others up-to-speed with their new linemates.

Sorry, but from where I sat I thought it was a pretty good game with a disappointing outcome. That's all. :dunno:

Thanks for typing that out for me.

rpontbriand

Jul 1, 2003
Great games last night btw guys. Agreed with those who said Landeskog should have finished what he started. Yea, who the hell wants to go with Lucic (probably Bordeleau :) ) but you gotta finish what you start.

Also want to apologize for those Avs fans and their comments/inferences to Lucic spinal issues. Low rent in my book to do that. Cheers and best of luck the rest of the way.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Ever think Brad Marchand is the one throwing off the 2nd line? He and Bergy had to cover for Seguin's lack of defensive ability for over 2 seasons and now you bring in Loui who is a complete, two way player and can take away the extra responsibilities from them and Marchy just hasn't adjusted yet because it's 3 games in?

You keep the line together and they will work it out. People need to relax big time.

Lost in the Lucic incident was the fact that Krejci dropped his gloves and was adamant about fighting until he had to be pushed away by the refs and Iggy. He NEVER does this so you know it had to be really bad. Looch was a different kind of pissed last night. He was screaming at Landeskog in the box.

The 3rd line was the best line again. A lot of great passing that lead to some great chances. I want to see Smith settle down just a bit. He was jittery last night. Kelly is a best. Love my Cage:) Excellent on the PK and showed why he is our second best PKer behind Bergy. Caron with another solid game with another chance. I would like to see him use his body more. He had a chance to make a solid, clean check in the near corner from me and let up leading to the puck being cleared. He makes the check and it pins the guy and creates another opportunity.

4th line had their best game of the season. Thornton was flying. He and Paille have crazy chemistry. The alleyoop pass is beautiful.

Tuukka was awesome. Saved their butts.

Boychuk, Seids and Krug were the best defensemen. Bad game for Quaider and an ok game for Z and Dougie.

3 games in. We will be fine.

Some great points here especially the one about Marchand adjusting. It has to be a bit of a mind bender at the moment for him and Bergy. Louie's game is so different from what he got used to it will take time no matter what we'd like to have happening right now, but that's why they play 82 games prior to the ultimate season. I wish some people could just relax and enjoy the ride. As time goes on and they hit the road for an extended road trip they should start to show what they really are. Until then this recipe is just a bunch of great ingredients being thrown into a bowl, they haven't hit the mixer yet and they certainly haven't been baked either. Time will tell. BTW: Not a huge fan of looking to big Z every time they need a goal or something to happen. They need all hands on deck and putting him out there too much now will cost them later.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I honestly didn't see him until the half way mark of period two.

It's game three. They'll figure it out. Even though things are clearly a work in progress I thought after the first period they carried play for the most part. Credit to giguere and the team in front of him, cuz as good as Boston was the Avs were a few steps better.

I love our defense and new look power plays though. There are times when I wonder "iginla why the hell did you shoot?" But aside from that I think it's great and they should have success on the man advantage. They've been moving Chara down low often, which is refreshing. Either sit him during the pp or leave him in the crease, where I thought he made a couple really nice plays with his reach.

I agree its early and things will start to mesh better and adjustments will be made.

It's just aggravating sometimes to see this team not be able to finish at times .

And Chara in front of the net on the poweplay.... meh. I don't think IRS something they should do often.

When the pop was stagnant last year it made sense.... watching it now, when he's forced to make offensive plays and not just screen the goalie its a bit interesting. I rhi k he fell down in both of his shots in close to the goalie. He's got some skills and that reach.... but he doesn't have the mobility and so.times that reach isn't helping in tight.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Just wanted to stop by and say, damn I love Lucic. Landeskog was smart not to fight him, and even said on twitter Lucic is too much for him. It pissed me off last night when he was engaged with Landy, but that was because the fact the Avs had only guy who wouldn't get his teeth punched in (Bordeleau), and obviously that fight wasn't going to happen due to Bordy being a 4th liner who barely sees the ice. I love how everyone fears him and he can still pot 30 goals. Guy is just such a rare breed. He literally seems like a one of kind player in the league. You guys are lucky to have a player like him.

Anyways, best of luck the rest of the way.

Very well said.
Lucic is a beast, I was wondering what Landeskog said to him to piss him off so mightely? It must have been a doozy like "so, is your bromance with Horty over yet?"
The Avs are certainly on the way up and look to be a couple of d-men and some more on ice leadership from being a contender, who knows if they pick up some more experienced d-men they may make life very difficult for other teams in the top of the West.

Mant*

Great games last night btw guys. Agreed with those who said Landeskog should have finished what he started. Yea, who the hell wants to go with Lucic (probably Bordeleau :) ) but you gotta finish what you start.

Also want to apologize for those Avs fans and their comments/inferences to Lucic spinal issues. Low rent in my book to do that. Cheers and best of luck the rest of the way.

Bruins fans... here's the real apology. What this idiot is "apologizing" for never actually took place. He's just playing the role of Eris for some reason.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

after the game I went home to watch the rest of the baseball game, but my kid was going back to school so she stayed with friends and went with buds into the Avs players section. I am lying on the couch an hour later (I only live 18 miles away and can get home and on my couch in about 40 minutes sometimes a half hour) and she is sending me text pictures of her with some of the Avs and telling me how nice they were. She loved EJ and even though she had a Krejci jersey on they were all great. We had met some of the MacKinnons by accident at the draft in NJ and she saw them in the area- love that kid; almost scored his first goal right infront of us

my kid is 18 and a freshman in college but looks 'maybe' 15 on a good day- but she knows hockey and has played organized on some really good teams and been a captain, so she is not your usual hockey fan- she can pick out exactly who is who; sadly her favorite and the nicest Av she had met David Jones is no longer on the team. (she borrows my Red Line draft and studies it and reads all of Kirk's prospect and hockey tweets- and loves it when Kirk gives to me;)) good naturedly (I hope:))

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Some great points here especially the one about Marchand adjusting. It has to be a bit of a mind bender at the moment for him and Bergy. Louie's game is so different from what he got used to it will take time no matter what we'd like to have happening right now, but that's why they play 82 games prior to the ultimate season. I wish some people could just relax and enjoy the ride. As time goes on and they hit the road for an extended road trip they should start to show what they really are. Until then this recipe is just a bunch of great ingredients being thrown into a bowl, they haven't hit the mixer yet and they certainly haven't been baked either. Time will tell. BTW: Not a huge fan of looking to big Z every time they need a goal or something to happen. They need all hands on deck and putting him out there too much now will cost them later.

btw- happy belated birthday to one of the best here in both knowledge and patience

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Ever think Brad Marchand is the one throwing off the 2nd line? He and Bergy had to cover for Seguin's lack of defensive ability for over 2 seasons and now you bring in Loui who is a complete, two way player and can take away the extra responsibilities from them and Marchy just hasn't adjusted yet because it's 3 games in?

You keep the line together and they will work it out. People need to relax big time.

Lost in the Lucic incident was the fact that Krejci dropped his gloves and was adamant about fighting until he had to be pushed away by the refs and Iggy. He NEVER does this so you know it had to be really bad. Looch was a different kind of pissed last night. He was screaming at Landeskog in the box.

The 3rd line was the best line again. A lot of great passing that lead to some great chances. I want to see Smith settle down just a bit. He was jittery last night. Kelly is a best. Love my Cage:) Excellent on the PK and showed why he is our second best PKer behind Bergy. Caron with another solid game with another chance. I would like to see him use his body more. He had a chance to make a solid, clean check in the near corner from me and let up leading to the puck being cleared. He makes the check and it pins the guy and creates another opportunity.

4th line had their best game of the season. Thornton was flying. He and Paille have crazy chemistry. The alleyoop pass is beautiful.

Tuukka was awesome. Saved their butts.

Boychuk, Seids and Krug were the best defensemen. Bad game for Quaider and an ok game for Z and Dougie.

3 games in. We will be fine.

Good point about Marchand.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Those lines were exactly what I was thinking about last night. I would really like to see it happen, but I highly doubt Julien does anything. He's not a guy who tinkers, and he usually let's things go too long, almost to a fault. If anything, I think Iginla would benefit greatly from not playing with Lucic. I've seen him trying to feed off Lucic's energy and hits this year by doing the same, and at his age and where he's at in his career, I'd rather not see him taking himself out of position to attempt a big hit. Lucic's hits are there to create space and time for his line mates, and Iginla jumping in to throw a hit doesn't take advantage of said space.

I agree about switching up Iginla and Erickson. Iginla is not skating particularly well,in my opinion. I think the first line needs some "legs".Horton was certainly lazy a lot of the time but when he wanted to, he could certainly skate.After watching 3 games,for me,the biggest red flag may be If Iginla still has what it takes to be a top 6 guy.If Soderberg comes on,we may have to move him up.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Watched the highlights on TSN and showed the altercation with Landeskog and Lucic but not what lead up to it.

Why was Lucic so heated?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Watched the highlights on TSN and showed the altercation with Landeskog and Lucic but not what lead up to it.

Why was Lucic so heated?

I walked out of the bathroom and same thing happened to me, it looked like Landeskog was all up in krejci's grill so to speak and Lucic didn't approve.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I sat at ice level and I thought if not for Giguire the Bruins get points out of this- Rask was pretty good himself, but based on the chances and quality, this was probably a 4-3 or 4-2 Bruins win going by the eyeball test.

One thing about Marchand that no way the camera's caught because it was often away from the play, going back to the bench etc....but he was extremely 'chippy' my favorite play was he was heading across ice back to the bench in the second period, in the neutral zone but the offensive side and he realized he was going by Downie, you could see his antenna go up and he switched hands because he was just about past him but needed the extra foot or two and give him a nice 'love shot' to the ass.
I focused on Marchand and Eriksson last night and I didn't think he was as horrible as I been reading.

Actually, I am not sure what game half this place watched:laugh:

I saw that :laugh: I want to see Marchy get back to being himself. ..not over the top but I love when he chirps at other players. I love how at the start of most games Brad looks around and picks a player to bug. ;) . He has been a little too quiet to my liking so seeing him start to chirp last night was a welcome sight..

Looch was pissed off. That 10 min call was a reputation call against Looch and not deserved.

Tuukka looked good . Good for Shawn for dropping them after not liking that cheap hit on Seids.

Also bull crap call on Loui.

The Avs are small and fast...also some are nasty.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I saw that :laugh: I want to see Marchy get back to being himself. ..not over the top but I love when he chirps at other players. I love how at the start of most games Brad looks around and picks a player to bug. ;) . He has been a little to quiet to my liking so seeing him start to chirp last night was a welcome sight..

Looch was pissed off. That 10 min call was a reputation call against Looch and not deserved.

Tuukka looked good . Good for Shawn for dropping them after not liking that cheap hit on Seids.

Also bull crap call on Loui.

The Avs are small and fast...also some are nasty.

Back to his "old self" as in punch Daniel Sedin in the face multiple consecutive times-self? :)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I disagree. I think it's Bergeron who's throwing that line off right now. His timing isn't there because he didn't have much of a training camp due to trying to heal from his late season injuries from last year. Throw in trying to get used to a new RW, and that's why the line seems like it's off, IMO. If anything, I'd say Marchand is the only player on that line who's played a consistent game in the first 3. Loui's been up and down (and last night he was really down), but Bergeron hasn't been anywhere near his usual self so far. I'm fine with giving it time, but my fear is that this line has too many of the same types of player. Sometimes having a guy who brings a different skill set to a line than his line mates can change the dynamic dramatically.

I fear Bergy isn't playing healthy but hope I am wrong.

I think this line will get it going.

Too soon to panic.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I hate when the Bruins do that and make below average tenders look like Vezina winners...

Another great game from the 3rd line. Caron almost got a 3rd in 3 games. Damn Giguere...

Some moments from the top-2 lines but nothing sustained. That Lucic BS 10min call killed momentum entering the 3rd. Bruins tried hard but nothing was going in yesterday...

Bring on Columbus.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What do folks think of Smith do far?

He has jam, he's good with the puck and seems to have chemistry with his linemates. I like him.

He strikes me as being a shiftier, but slower Danny Paille without his "away from the puck" awareness. From what I've seen, I'm a little skeptical about Smith being a top-nine player at an NHL level.

Small sample size, mind you. But Bruinator was talking about this earlier and I kind of get what he's getting at. More Daugavins than Peverley. So far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad