Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXIV

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Holly cow, so he's a can't miss undrafted prospect?

My guess is if the B's didn't have Lohrie to scout and watch during collage Merkulov would be playing in Europe by now.

But in the end he is a free asset that will have his change but I would not be betting the house on him making it as a regular NHL player never mind being the B's TOP prospect.

Saying he was mediocre in camp is being kind, he was invisible
Bad camp and four nhl games trumps 2 full seasons in the AHL where he was spectacular. Noted. He did have 2 assists in 2 exhibition games

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yeh

The anti Merk crowd is something

I don't know if I would consider myself anti-Merk because I want to see him succeed but he reminds me a lot of Andy Hilbert in where his lack of explosive skating as a smaller/average guy will hinder transferring his AHL success to the NHL. Great shot but to me, lacks a certain "it" quality to his game. I do think Lysell has that " it " quality and has a better shot at making it to the roster.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I have Lohrei and Poitras graduated (Monty probably thinks otherwise), Bussi aged out,I'm requesting you resubmit with these changes in mind
I have a top8 that I like and after that it's tough to pick a 9 or 10. There are about 15 guys that I could make an argument for...

1. Lysell
2. Letourneau
3. Merkulov
4. Jellvik
5. Edward
6. Myrenberg
7. Duran
8. Groenewold
  • Regula - +36 in 56 games screams I'm done in the AHL.
  • Locmelis - Was up near Jelvik last year, didn't produce as much as I thought he would at UMAss. I'm hoping that was an adjustment year and he's going to do good things this year.
  • Gasseau - Giant with good hands. Had a down year at BC. Let's see what this year brings.
  • Farinacci - I know Providence fans liked him but his production was underwhelming.
  • Brunet - Love his skill, hoping for big things in Providence.
  • Morello - Great toolbox. Want to see if he can process at better levels/faster pace.
  • Pelosi - Reminds me a poor man's Zach Parise. Always around the net, finds ways to score.
  • Bavaro - Stood out at training camp as being one of the most skilled D there.
  • Walsh - Also stood out. Always produces. Could be a sleeper.
  • Hendrickson - Long term prospect but he has size and vision.
  • Kuntar - Gritty player could force his way into the lineup with his hustle. Lack of production makes me think he tops out as a 4th liner.
  • Gallagher - Wasn't a big fan when he was at BU but thought he showed a lot more confidence this camp.
  • Nassen - Thick. He pulls off plays at development camp you don't expect.
  • McLaughlin - Wild card. Coming off a bad season and getting up there in age but he was Riley Duran a year ago. He either completely falls off or roars back.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Letourneau can be ranked ahead of Merk at this point. Merk should be 3 IMO if you are counting Poitras and Lohrei. If not, he should be #1 IMO

Why not?

If both players hit their ceiling, there is not comparison. But at the end of the day I guess it becomes what are you factoring when ranking prospects?

If you are factoring something like likelyhood of playing 100 games in the NHL than a guy like Duran is probably underrated here.

Merkulov turns 24 on the second day of the season. He has shown nothing in NHL camps to this point, and didn't look good in his first call up. More than that he doesn't show the qualities this organization tends to look for in centers, and has not shown an ability to play wing effectively in the minors.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
1. Lohrei
2. Poitras
3. Lysell
4. Letourneau
5. Merkulov
6. Jellvik
7. Edward
8. Myrenberg
9. Farinacci
10. Bussi

Other guys I like: Duran, Groenewold, Brunet, Morello, Pelosi, Hendrickson, Gasseau, Locmelis, Walsh and Bavaro.

I'm not high on Harrison. Jordan Caron vibes. Hope he turns it around.
I'm going for the reachhhhhh...Low-rider out for this one.
By December we will see....

1. Bussi
2. Lysell
3. Merk
4. Poitras
5. Jellvik
6. Locmelis
7. Duran
8. Pelosi
9. Edward
10. Brunet

• Wow
Reactions: PlayMakers

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
  1. Poitras
  2. Lysell
  3. Letourneau
  4. Merkulov
  5. Pelosi

6. and beyond.... doesn't really matter.

Reactions: PB37

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Why not?

If both players hit their ceiling, there is not comparison. But at the end of the day I guess it becomes what are you factoring when ranking prospects?

If you are factoring something like likelyhood of playing 100 games in the NHL than a guy like Duran is probably underrated here.

Merkulov turns 24 on the second day of the season. He has shown nothing in NHL camps to this point, and didn't look good in his first call up. More than that he doesn't show the qualities this organization tends to look for in centers, and has not shown an ability to play wing effectively in the minors.
Guy has played 2 USHL games as his highest level of competition. Merk has gone 54-66-120 in 134 games in the league directly below the NHL.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What about Hendrickson, edwards, Kuntar, Locmelis and Jellvik?
Odds are only one of those "make it" and it's as a 4th line F. 214 guys get drafted every year. A large % of 5-7th rders never even get offered a contract. I think we overestimate the chances of guys like that.

Im willing to bet yes he is
We have very different definitions of "can't miss" then. I'd say nobody taken say 15th and after is "can't miss". I am also wondering how many U18AAA games you've watched to make the determination.

Reactions: Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Odds are only one of those "make it" and it's as a 4th line F. 214 guys get drafted every year. A large % of 5-7th rders never even get offered a contract. I think we overestimate the chances of guys like that.
Oh I agree 100%. I don’t thing they will all make it.I think the guys I named could be nhl players though. It’s not like the bruins are drafting top 10 ever so even if one of these guys hit it’s a win. U never can tell who can play at the highest level.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
  1. Poitras
  2. Lysell
  3. Letourneau
  4. Merkulov
  5. Pelosi

6. and beyond.... doesn't really matter.
I think you're selling Jellvik short here. He's got some skill and getting better every year. Bruins might have gotten a steal with him.

I don't know why he's been so underrated. On his U-20 Sweden team he was 2nd on the team in points between Ohgren and Ostlund...they were both 1st round picks...and he goes in the 5th round?

First collegiate year at BC was a wash but his sophmore year was legit. He was 5th on the team in points behind those four 1st round picks. It could be a thing were he seems to be overshadowed by more talented prospects...either way it's a good sign he can skate with them

We'll see what this year brings but I think he has middle six upside.

I actually have him in my top 5

1. Poitras
2. Lysell
3. Letourneau
4. Merkulov
5. Jellvik

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Merkulov strikes me as a "too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL" type of tweener. Similar to Adam Gaudette or Kenny Agostino. I hope I'm wrong, he'd be a fun story but that's just the vibe I'm getting.

Agreed. I'm rooting for the kid and I'm hoping he ends up at the wing and maybe good enough to replace Marchand in the top 6 by the time he really slows down/retires. But I don't think that's going to happen and the Bruins are going to most likely have to find the replacement from another organization.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think you're selling Jellvik short here. He's got some skill and getting better every year. Bruins might have gotten a steal with him.

I don't know why he's been so underrated. On his U-20 Sweden team he was 2nd on the team in points between Ohgren and Ostlund...they were both 1st round picks...and he goes in the 5th round?

First collegiate year at BC was a wash but his sophmore year was legit. He was 5th on the team in points behind those four 1st round picks. It could be a thing were he seems to be overshadowed by more talented prospects...either way it's a good sign he can skate with them

We'll see what this year brings but I think he has middle six upside.

I actually have him in my top 5

1. Poitras
2. Lysell
3. Letourneau
4. Merkulov
5. Jellvik
I'm not saying nobody else has a chance. It's possible someone comes around and surprises, just that nobody else sticks out to me as the likeliest guy to do so. It could be Jellvik as a middle 6 scorer. I think it's unlikely, but it's possible.

One thing about the Ohgren and Ostlund thing is that they are a year younger so in Jellvik's draft year when he was 17/18, they were 16/17. Then when they were in J20 they were in their draft year, Jellvik was in his D+1 finishing behind Ohgren in pts and tied w/ Ostlund in ppg.... they were playing less games in J20 because they were getting games in the SHL w/ men. In their D+1 year they were playing full time with men.'

That's important. The truly top Swedish and Finnish prospects aren't playing their D+1 years full time in the junior leagues. You are totally right, Jellvik had a really good sophmore season at BC so we'll see where he goes. I wouldn't argue with putting him over Pelosi.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Merkulov ahead of Poitras?

You've had something against him since his junior days.
Poitras really surprised me making it out of camp. Like you said, his biggest strength is his playmaking and will. I see Savard in him. Bruins will be cautious with him this year (needs to fill in) Merk had a good PB year, older, man strength. I can see Marc having a good camp and bruins giving him 3rd center role to start the year amd merk taking full advantage. I love his shot. It's a beauty.

I did say my list was a reachhhhh ranking.

So are they trading Letourneau by then ?
he was excluded for this ranking.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Poitras really surprised me making it out of camp. Like you said, his biggest strength is his playmaking and will. I see Savard in him. Bruins will be cautious with him this year (needs to fill in) Merk had a good PB year, older, man strength. I can see Marc having a good camp and bruins giving him 3rd center role to start the year amd merk taking full advantage. I love his shot. It's a beauty.

I did say my list was a reachhhhh ranking.

he was excluded for this ranking.
Rankings gs are supposed to be based on highest upside. So you will have to explain your criteria to me.

And he didn't surprise me that he made it out of camp. I predicted it.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I think it’s safe to say poitras has graduated. I’d be shocked if he didn’t make the roster. We all saw him play last season. He was pretty effective out there. He has a good stick and makes plays. he really works that one wall (I think the left wing wall) really well. His vision leads to a lot of scoring opportunities and he can score.

We saw merkulov 4 times last year. He just wasn’t effective. I barely noticed him out there. He is a lot older and isn’t as good. Even if he has a great camp I’d say they will ship him the providence and he will be the first call up.

They aren’t going to baby poitras. He makes the team better. I’m pretty sure he will be on the team come opening day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad