Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Of those three? I’d agree with him that Poitras has a chance to play NHL games. Do you disagree with that?
When you want to know about what to see and where to eat you want to talk to locals not some hack

Merkulov, Poitras and Farinacci

They all are legit center prospects with top 9 skills

I wouldn’t be quoting Pronman for knowledge

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
When you want to know about what to see and where to eat you want to talk to locals not some hack

Merkulov, Poitras and Farinacci

They all are legit center prospects with top 9 skills

I wouldn’t be quoting Pronman for knowledge
I think Merkulov and Poitras have top 9 skills I give Poitras a better chance of achieving that than Merkulov. Also the piece was written before Farinacci signed so I don't really think that's a valid criticism.

Farinacci? Don't see it. A good move to sign him because you never know, but I think he's a fringe guy at best. As you know, I'm no Beecher fan, but I'd put his chances of being an NHLer above Farinacci.

All that said, I'm not sure exactly what the argument against Pronman here is.

Small picture: people think he has the order of some prospects in the B's pool wrong. Ok. Take a look here when people list their top 10 prospects. All the "locals" differ in their rankings. It's projections so there are going to be differences of opinion.

Big picture: he has the B's prospect pool being poor. That's true. It has nothing to do with the team's success or their 25-35 year old pros who are good.

If anyone disagrees with Pronman's big picture, list 3 teams that you have below them in prospects. Otherwise people are just nitpicking about 1 leaf on 1 tree and ignoring the whole forest.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think Merkulov and Poitras have top 9 skills I give Poitras a better chance of achieving that than Merkulov. Also the piece was written before Farinacci signed so I don't really think that's a valid criticism.

Farinacci? Don't see it. A good move to sign him because you never know, but I think he's a fringe guy at best. As you know, I'm no Beecher fan, but I'd put his chances of being an NHLer above Farinacci.

Small picture: people think he has the order of some prospects in the B's pool wrong. Ok. Take a look here when people list their top 10 prospects. All the "locals" differ in their rankings. It's projections so there are going to be differences of opinion.

Big picture: he has the B's prospect pool being poor. That's true. It has nothing to do with the team's success or their 25-35 year old pros who are good.

If anyone disagrees with Pronman's big picture, list 3 teams that you have below them in prospects. Otherwise people are just nitpicking about 1 leaf on 1 tree and ignoring the whole forest.
Pronman isn’t bad because of where he ranks the Bruins. Pronman is bad because he’s bad at his job. This is a widely held sentiment. You like him - that’s fine.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

If I was doing lists I’d just toss Bruins 32 and start there

I don’t disagree with 32 but his top 3 is way off for Bruins players

He’s fun to read like Wheeler but he’s basically a hack

I know you and if they paid you enough to do this I would take it seriously- I think if you both had same time and resources you would bury him

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Pronman isn’t bad because of where he ranks the Bruins. Pronman is bad because he’s bad at his job. This is a widely held sentiment. You like him - that’s fine.
Bruins fans or anyone following prospects should look at several local writers/fans lists

Likely the top 7 or 8 will be within a couple spots

If the Bruins resign DeBrusk they need a top 6 winger (jury still out on Lysell - actually jury out on everyone of their prospects)- if not they need two wingers with top 1-2 line skills

Defense & goal in a good spot

Center - they been pounding this area last 26 months and Zacha is legit second liner

We gotta just wait another month before these guys hit ice

Phil Perry describes foreseeable future as 2 years and for the foreseeable future they are good and could be very good to great hitting on even 2 prospects and a significant FA

Certainly a miracle isn’t needed

Reactions: Blowfish

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If I was doing lists I’d just toss Bruins 32 and start there

I don’t disagree with 32 but his top 3 is way off for Bruins players

He’s fun to read like Wheeler but he’s basically a hack

I know you and if they paid you enough to do this I would take it seriously- I think if you both had same time and resources you would bury him
No, I'd have Finns too high and Canadians too low.

Ranking prospect pools and players is hard and imprecise and ultimately either pretty subjective or using "objective" measures that are too rigid and have flaws (NHLe).

As I said, look at when this board does the top 10 prospects. There's going to be a variance in where guys are ranked. Some will have Lysell 1st and some now might have Poitras 1st etc. Same with any board's ranking.

If the big complaint is that he has Beecher ahead of Merkulov, I really don't see that as a "Well his whole list sucks and he doesn't know what he's doing and he's a bad talent evalutator."

Honestly, IF Merkulov is ahead of Beecher then I think that's better evidence that the bad talent evaluator is the guy who drafted Beecher in the 1st round.

Reactions: LSCII and DKH

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins fans or anyone following prospects should look at several local writers/fans lists

Likely the top 7 or 8 will be within a couple spots

If the Bruins resign DeBrusk they need a top 6 winger (jury still out on Lysell - actually jury out on everyone of their prospects)- if not they need two wingers with top 1-2 line skills

Defense & goal in a good spot

Center - they been pounding this area last 26 months and Zacha is legit second liner

We gotta just wait another month before these guys hit ice

Phil Perry describes foreseeable future as 2 years and for the foreseeable future they are good and could be very good to great hitting on even 2 prospects and a significant FA

Certainly a miracle isn’t needed
Here's the thing.

I would have an extremely difficult time trading Lohrie and/or a Bussi ... 2 grade A prospects that will most likely be top tier in the NHL one fine day.

Most teams have some elite to good players possibly more than the bruins but it's not like team ranked 1 is far superior to team ranked 32.

The talent pool today is much much larger than year's past making it near impossible for anyone to nail down the best prospect pool in the league. Bruins are fine and continue to add good prospects without drafting. Something I believe the Pronouns (heehee) fail to consider.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Nope just read Athletic report Bruins 32 and last he ‘might’ have a chance to play in NHL

Basically having an Athletic membership and reading Pronman he’s Poitras a good AHL player because of skating
We are about to find out. Can’t wait to see him play against men. Might not happen.

May not see this kid until next year. He will Have a hard time making the bruins opening night roster. Maybe he is the next backstrom ;)

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
No, I'd have Finns too high and Canadians too low.

Ranking prospect pools and players is hard and imprecise and ultimately either pretty subjective or using "objective" measures that are too rigid and have flaws (NHLe).

As I said, look at when this board does the top 10 prospects. There's going to be a variance in where guys are ranked. Some will have Lysell 1st and some now might have Poitras 1st etc. Same with any board's ranking.

If the big complaint is that he has Beecher ahead of Merkulov, I really don't see that as a "Well his whole list sucks and he doesn't know what he's doing and he's a bad talent evalutator."

Honestly, IF Merkulov is ahead of Beecher then I think that's better evidence that the bad talent evaluator is the guy who drafted Beecher in the 1st round.
You’re still missing it. Ranking Beecher in the top 3 is an example, not the driver behind why Pronman sucks. No experts have Lysell first, or Poitras first. And zero have Beecher in the top 5 much less top 3.

And the last line…woof.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Here's the thing.

I would have an extremely difficult time trading Lohrie and/or a Bussi ... 2 grade A prospects that will most likely be top tier in the NHL one fine day.

Most teams have some elite to good players possibly more than the bruins but it's not like team ranked 1 is far superior to team ranked 32.

The talent pool today is much much larger than year's past making it near impossible for anyone to nail down the best prospect pool in the league. Bruins are fine and continue to add good prospects without drafting. Something I believe the Pronouns (heehee) fail to consider.
I’m not giving Lohrei or Bussi Grade A

I would go B+ but both were not drafted their eligible season

I like Lohrei a lot but if Calgary called today and said 50% retained on Hanifin give us Lohrei, Forbort, and your 2025 1 if Hanifin signs long term - he’s gone

Same any prospect for Lindholm

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I am total agreement with Pronman (which is rare). Bruins prospect pool is the worst in the NHL and that's the point. You can argue who is 1-10 but the pure fact is they lack high end talent in the prospect pool compared to every other organization.

Reactions: LSCII and Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You’re still missing it. Ranking Beecher in the top 3 is an example, not the driver behind why Pronman sucks. No experts have Lysell first, or Poitras first. And zero have Beecher in the top 5 much less top 3.

And the last line…woof.
Glad you've come around Beecher not being in the B's top 3. I guess you having him better than Maccelli, Pinto and Kaliyev as a prospect at one point is an example not the driver why your evaluations are off.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I wish people would stop thinking Beecher is anything other than a blown pick. He does not belong on any top prospect list and if he is, it means you have really shitty prospects.,

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don’t read him, so not in the least. If you’re suggesting he did include Beecher, that’s validation for not paying attention to him, isn’t it?
Well you subtweeted me above, so I'm responding. He did include Beecher - at 3. He's the top prospect writer at the Athletic, and I point out (every year, as Rico so eloquently wrote above) that he's not good at what he does.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well you subtweeted me above, so I'm responding. He did include Beecher - at 3. He's the top prospect writer at the Athletic, and I point out (every year, as Rico so eloquently wrote above) that he's not good at what he does.
So you agree that Beecher shouldn’t be included? Or that since he was, it means the team has a shitty prospect pool?

It’s got to be one or the other, so which is it in your opinion?

I don’t know what subtweet means? I just read a bunch of random posts without paying attention to who said it, and found it amusing that people think Beecher is anything worth discussing. Marginal 3rd line player in college, 4th line player in the AHL. Seems weird to me to get your panties in a bunch about a dude that will likely not make this league.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So you agree that Beecher shouldn’t be included? Or that since he was, it means the team has a shitty prospect pool?

It’s got to be one or the other, so which is it in your opinion?

I don’t know what subtweet means? I just read a bunch of random posts without paying attention to who said it, and found it amusing that people think Beecher is anything worth discussing. Marginal 3rd line player in college, 4th line player in the AHL. Seems weird to me to get your panties in a bunch about a dude that will likely not make this league.
He has Beecher three - which is lazy and uninformed. No one has Beecher as a top three prospect for the Bruins. I still maintain he will play in the NHL for a good long while, albeit in a 4th line/3rd line grinder role. Many disagree. Regardless, having him above Merkulov, Poitras, et al is an indicator that said analyst has no idea what he's doing. Fans of pretty much every other team, along with every single "expert" I know, agree.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
He has Beecher three - which is lazy and uninformed. No one has Beecher as a top three prospect for the Bruins. I still maintain he will play in the NHL for a good long while, albeit in a 4th line/3rd line grinder role. Many disagree. Regardless, having him above Merkulov, Poitras, et al is an indicator that said analyst has no idea what he's doing. Fans of pretty much every other team, along with every single "expert" I know, agree.
I mean, the guy follows 32 NHL teams' prospects pools. Sure, he's producing content, so its all about the clicks in the end, but basically NOBODY else is even attempting to do this. It's not gonna be perfect by any means, but I don't at all think its lazy because he didn't rank the 32nd teams' prospect pool the way a biased fan of the team sees it. He's wrong often, and he's right often. That's the world of prospects. It's incredible that he and Wheeler do this on a yearly basis, its an insane amount of work. To say he has no idea what he's doing when I'd be willing to bet he's seen more of these guys than the average fan base is silly. He's doing this, watching more of these guys than the average fan, while getting attacked by each individual fan base who ONLY watch their team and nobody else.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I mean, the guy follows 32 NHL teams' prospects pools. Sure, he's producing content, so its all about the clicks in the end, but basically NOBODY else is even attempting to do this. It's not gonna be perfect by any means, but I don't at all think its lazy because he didn't rank the 32nd teams' prospect pool the way a biased fan of the team sees it. He's wrong often, and he's right often. That's the world of prospects. It's incredible that he and Wheeler do this on a yearly basis, its an insane amount of work. To say he has no idea what he's doing when I'd be willing to bet he's seen more of these guys than the average fan base is silly. He's doing this, watching more of these guys than the average fan, while getting attacked by each individual fan base who ONLY watch their team and nobody else.
There are lots of guys who do this. You say NOBODY, then mention that Wheeler does it too. Again, the argument isn't rating the Bruins last (though I disagree by 5-6 slots or so). It's a body of work from Pronman over many years that shows some very distinct biases. He all but admitted that he doesn't value players who could become solid bottom six players. He rarely updates his prior knowledge (he still rates Lohrei as a poor skater despite a huge body of evidence to the contrary as an example), like when he had McAvoy the 14th best defenseman in his draft class and barely put him in their under 23 list a couple years later. Putting Poitras in the "Has a chance to play games" category when you look at who else he has in the "Projected to play in the NHL" category is laughable. Having Brisson #10 for Vegas is ludicrous. Etc.

I'm not going to give the guy credit for doing a job. I'll give a guy credit when they do their job well.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Two notes to add:
- Lohrei is not a good NHL caliber skater - is his skating sufficient - yes but his top skillset is not his skating. He has good size and makes pretty sound decisions with a decent shot - he does not skate well like a Luke Hughes or Charlie McAvoy. He is a bigger kid at 6'4 and 200+ pounds and looks to have heavy feet at times. I think he will end up being a 2nd/3rd pair solid Dman.

-Beecher - sorry but I think he may be a career AHL type player. Just doesn't have the scoring touch or hockey IQ to play regularly at the NHL level. Has great size but hasn't progressed enough for my liking. A poor mans Charlie Coyle at best.

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad