NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Let’s look at this from the Sharks’ point of view. They’re very top-heavy on contracts – their top 8 guys are on nearly $59 million compared to the Bruins’ highest-paid 8 on $50 mil. On their NHL roster they currently have a massive 16 guys who they’ll need to either re-sign or move on within the next 18 months. A good few of those players are going to want more money and, even with the expected increases to the Cap, that’s going to be a real squeeze for San Jose as things stand. On top of that this season is clearly a bust for them so time to really cash-in as much as possible on the next draft.

So you can definitely make a case that they need to dump one or two of their expensive longer-term contracts and maximise their draft picks as part of what they hope will be a swift rebuild. How does Backes help them? Well the $6 mil ain’t cheap, or even 5 if they don’t intend to actually play him, but his contract only has 1 year left to run, as opposed to the longer deals that Meier, Couture, Hertl and their top D are on. They can retire Backes after a rebuilding year just at the time when a lot of younger guys are negotiating new contracts, freeing up valuable funds. So Backes becomes a viable option for them to take on as long as he comes with suitable additional ‘compensation’ in the form of high draft picks and/or a couple of good younger players or prospects who will give the Sharks good service for reasonable value – Heinen, Moore, Zboril, Vaak etc. all potentially fit this bill, plus the Bruins have a pick or two that may be of interest to them. As such, the Bruins make sense as a team that the Sharks can do good business with, plus they have the advantage of being in a different conference so they aren’t giving away players to a team that may haunt them too much over it.

So who do San Jose give up? Thornton obviously kicked this speculation off, plus Meier, Labanc and Dillon have all been named here. Meier and Dillon make the most sense for both teams in terms of their contracts and attributes. As I’ve already said in another post I really don’t see the need for Jumbo Joe back in Boston but if the Sharks are happy to move him, he is keen for a final Cup tilt and the Bruins can afford to take him alongside Meier and possibly Dillon as well, then I have no problem with it provided it brings the help we really need.

As long as Sweeney is sensible and the Sharks are willing to deal fairly in how much they ask for in the trade, a deal just might work.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
They are pretty much a wash so why bother.
Leadership, size, depth scoring, another PP weapon. Wouldnt call them a wash when Thornton has more points this year than Lindholm has in is career. Not saying I'm all in on him, but be would greatly improve our 4C spot and could fill in up the lineup.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Thornton has more assists than anyone on our 4th line has points. He still has something to give, even if it's in a diminshed capacity.

At Even-strength/Short-handed he's on par right now with Sean Kuraly, a guy most here agree isn't having a great year.

Not to mention that one of Thornton's strengths WAS his face-off ability. I believe over the past decade only Bergeron and one other player (I can't remember who they said on the broadcast) have a better face-off percentage than Thornton. But his FO numbers are way down to 47%. So he doesn't even bring that to the table.

I just don't see the fit for Boston and Thornton in any way, shape or form, other than it is a nice story, or better yet, fairy-tale.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
At Even-strength/Short-handed he's on par right now with Sean Kuraly, a guy most here agree isn't having a great year.

Not to mention that one of Thornton's strengths WAS his face-off ability. I believe over the past decade only Bergeron and one other player (I can't remember who they said on the broadcast) have a better face-off percentage than Thornton. But his FO numbers are way down to 47%. So he doesn't even bring that to the table.

I just don't see the fit for Boston and Thornton in any way, shape or form, other than it is a nice story, or better yet, fairy-tale.
On pace with Kuraly sure, Bjork too, and pretty well ahead of Nordstrom, Wagner, Heinen, Lindholm and Khulman.

He’s not THE solution but he most certainly can be a piece of their puzzle.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Thornton is the farthest thing from an upgrade on anyone on this roster today, that would include Backes. Thornton is done, cooked, people can love him all they want, I have no worries that he will end up back in Boston, none.

This sounds personal to you so I'll leave it at this. To say Thornton wouldn't be an upgrade on the Bruins top 13 forwards is just straight up ignorant. This is a guy who had 50% more even strength points than our 1st line center in less playoff games just last year and drops the gloves/ hits to boot. Time to grow up and let bygones be bygones.

edit: Disclaimer: Bergeron is my favorite and one of the greatest Bruins of all time, is still a very good 1c, and a much better player than Joe Thornton. This is just pointing out the obvious to those who have a tough time seeing it.

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Leadership, size, depth scoring, another PP weapon. Wouldnt call them a wash when Thornton has more points this year than Lindholm has in is career. Not saying I'm all in on him, but be would greatly improve our 4C spot and could fill in up the lineup.
Well Thornton had his C removed in SJ so not sure about the leadership. Not sure he would be a fit on a fourth line who job is to skate hard and check the opposition better players at times. His skating legs have left him, if we are arguing the difference between him and Lindholm, not sure why people want to go get him.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
This sounds personal to you so I'll leave it at this. To say Thornton wouldn't be an upgrade on the Bruins top 13 forwards is just straight up ignorant. This is a guy who had 50% more even strength points than our 1st line center in less playoff games just last year and drops the gloves/ hits to boot. Time to grow up and let bygones be bygones.
Yes your post does sound personal but I won’t lose sleep over it. If you believe he is a better option than Bergeron, well all I can say is we are done here, I am at a loss for words.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
On pace with Kuraly sure, Bjork too, and pretty well ahead of Nordstrom, Wagner, Heinen, Lindholm and Khulman.

He’s not THE solution but he most certainly can be a piece of their puzzle.

Where though?

He shouldn't dislodge Coyle from 3rd line C.

Cassidy I don't think would use him as a 4th line C as he doesn't kill penalties. And he's not performing well on face-offs this year either.

He's played some LW this season, but the last thing the Bruins need is another middling left-shot winger.

So all I can see as a role for him is PP duty. Would he displace Debrusk on Unit 1 as the down-low left-shot forward? If not, he would go onto unit 2 likely on the right-side half-wall. But Krejci tends to be the QB of unit 2, would he work with another pass-first forward in Thornton on the PP? Not to mention that unit also contains the shot-adverse McAvoy. Geez someone has to shoot the puck.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
After going the full Thornton 0-0-0 in that abysmal playoffs loss against the Habs blowing a 3-1 lead, he had to go.

Return was less than optimal but butterfly effect gave the Bruins a Cup and 2 more finals the past 9 years.

Wouldn’t mind grabbing him on the cheap to add depth and help him finally win a Cup.

Getting Meier too and getting rid of Backes?

Too good to be true...

Last edited:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Okay so....

Gryz, Vaak, Heinen for Meir

1st 2020 and Backes for Thornton

2nd 2021 for Dillon

I would do that, I guess. Would the Sharks? I think the Sharks would demand Studnicka and the Bruins can't do that because of my username.

I think I'd rather trade a 2nd and Zboril for Toffoli...but that's just me.
Studnicka and a 2020 first would definitely have to come back for Timo from an SJ perspective to even get the conversation started.

I don't see SJ taking Backes because Doug Wilson has said he's going to try to be competitive next year again with a "refresh", like the 14-15 off-season, and they're already tight against the cap.

2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd for Dillon as he might be the best rental D available this year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yes your post does sound personal but I won’t lose sleep over it. If you believe he is a better option than Bergeron, well all I can say is we are done here, I am at a loss for words.

In fairness to him you’re making it seem like joe Thornton murdered your puppy

Also typically if there is an assist on a play it means a goal was scored. He’s not going to be the answer but he can certainly be a useful piece

Reactions: CLIFFY HOCKEY

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Go onnnnnnnnnnn

With some players injured and it not being about Kane, it HAS to be about Meier or Labanc. Meier would be to expensive to pay so the only possibility is Labanc. Maybe the Sharks don't want to pay him and believe last season was an anomility. Labanc could be a great buy low big win candidate. A second rounder plus a fine not great prospect should get it done

Reactions: Dr Hook

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
In fairness to him you’re making it seem like joe Thornton murdered your puppy

Also typically if there is an assist on a play it means a goal was scored. He’s not going to be the answer but he can certainly be a useful piece
Not sure name calling was required in our conversation, but like I said I won’t be losing sleep over it.

Bruins have enough guys that can dish the puck but not enough that can bury it, my belief is Thornton is not what they need.
Thornton didn’t murder my puppy but I have disliked they guy since his last game in Boston, watched him quit on a play Bs get scored on, he didn’t seem to care, glad he was dealt. They went in a different direction with turning to Bergeron, the getting Savard and Chara, and the rest is history.

I remember during the lock out when Thornton was playing in the Spengler Cup final against Canada, he was playing for the home town team, Canada won, and Thornton was skating around with a big grin on his face as if it didn’t matter, of course to him it didn’t. I am sure he is a great guy away from the rink and he really has shown that he is not someone who can turn it up when needed and take is team to victory.

Finally, I just cannot fathom how anyone would want him on the Bruins when there are hundreds upon hundreds of better options
to help the Bruins win the Cup. If Thornton is the best Sweeney can do at the deadline, just leave the roster the way it is, less likely to have bad habits creep in.

This is simply my opinion, but it seems some just cannot or will not accept someone may have a different opinion than theirs, and when they do the name calling starts. I been around long enough, it just runs off my back like water on a ducks back.

Reactions: Bodit9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not sure name calling was required in our conversation, but like I said I won’t be losing sleep over it.

Bruins have enough guys that can dish the puck but not enough that can bury it, my belief is Thornton is not what they need.
Thornton didn’t murder my puppy but I have disliked they guy since his last game in Boston, watched him quit on a play Bs get scored on, he didn’t seem to care, glad he was dealt. They went in a different direction with turning to Bergeron, the getting Savard and Chara, and the rest is history.

I remember during the lock out when Thornton was playing in the Spengler Cup final against Canada, he was playing for the home town team, Canada won, and Thornton was skating around with a big grin on his face as if it didn’t matter, of course to him it didn’t. I am sure he is a great guy away from the rink and he really has shown that he is not someone who can turn it up when needed and take is team to victory.

Finally, I just cannot fathom how anyone would want him on the Bruins when there are hundreds upon hundreds of better options
to help the Bruins win the Cup. If Thornton is the best Sweeney can do at the deadline, just leave the roster the way it is, less likely to have bad habits creep in.

This is simply my opinion, but it seems some just cannot or will not accept someone may have a different opinion than theirs, and when they do the name calling starts. I been around long enough, it just runs off my back like water on a ducks back.

....do you know what name calling is?

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thornton is the farthest thing from an upgrade on anyone on this roster today, that would include Backes. Thornton is done, cooked, people can love him all they want, I have no worries that he will end up back in Boston, none.

Yeah he’s not an upgrade over Backes, this is not disingenuous at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad