Post-Game Talk: Bruins - Penguins Prospect Challege - Sept 15, 3:30 est

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I really don’t get people who thought Beecher and especially Lohrei were bad today. I thought both were solid. Obviously didn’t pop like the three stars but not bad games from them at all.

It's not that they were particularly bad , it's that they weren't particularly good. I watched all his games in Prov last season and I didn't see it, what do I know? Maybe it was just me , all the hype had me expecting more , a lot more ., in both cases.
Especially the latter .

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Lohrei- Again, I watched all his games in Prov and again today. Other than a good stick after a horror show on D I'm not seeing it.

Beecher- not impressed.......again.

Brunet had himself a under the radar very good game.
Lohrei might be the highest ranked D in the system. But Bruuuunet might end up as the best D prospect imo.

Lohrei "reflex" could stand to improve. He kind of reminds me of Brady Lyle...

Brunet on the other hand is a smooth D that moves very well. Not only skating, but also his shoulder/hip rotation .

Nice offensive instincts/vision...for a quick pass to Harrison for that one timer.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Lohrei might be the highest ranked D in the system. But Bruuuunet might end up as the best D prospect imo.

Brunet on the other hand is a smooth D that moves very well. Not only skating, but also his shoulder/hip rotation .

Nice offensive instincts/vision...for a quick pass to Harrison for that one timer.
Brunet also got absolutely worked on two one on one rushes. He’s got a long way to go.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Brunet also got absolutely worked on two one on one rushes. He’s got a long way to go.
One of those PPs he was QBing showed a lot of room for seasoning as well, with the high guys shadowing him tight making him hesitant. He showed well in spots, but if we're focusing on skating, I thought he skated a lot like Lohrei out there - technically fine with some high points, but not consistently moving his ass and forcing the opponent to react to them instead of holding up short for fear of mistakes.

The thing Lohrei did consistently was get in tight to the net/slot whenever he saw an opening. Nothing came of any of it, and I think he needs to speed it up more when he tries it, but it's good he's doing things that have worked for him in lesser leagues.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I really don’t get people who thought Beecher and especially Lohrei were bad today. I thought both were solid. Obviously didn’t pop like the three stars but not bad games from them at all.

I expected more obvious plays from both of them given that they are at the top of our prospect list. I barely noticed Beecher and I noticed Lohrei for bad reasons. But that might just be me.

I also have to temper my opinion on the fact that I was desperately trying to find jersey numbers on each play unsuccessfully. So I really do need to watch it again with a pause. The game pan camera was out enough that these old eyes were squinting the whole time trying to make out what lines were on and "Who was THAT?"

Makes one appreciate play-by-play and color commentators.
BTW, NJ had some good ones in their game.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Hopefully he can push for a 9 game tryout.

Fantastic vision for that tip in. He is a gamer..

I see some Marc Savard in his game...
Yeh I’ll tske Savard - he certainly is comfortable with puck and doesn’t force anything

The last 5 times I watched him on ice he was obviously one of best players easy to identify if no one wore a number

Reactions: rocketdan9

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

I don’t know that he’s better than Lohrei but IMO Brunet’s underrated here. Very talented player with size and the things he’s bad at are thing you can teach.

Fwiw, I thought Lohrei ran a good PP too, and made some nice stretch passes under pressure. It seems like Lohrei likes to let guys get on him as he’s swinging behind the net. When I saw him do that a couple times Inwondered if that’s something that will work in the bigger stronger nhl. I was expecting him to speed up and race away but he just let them get on him and then he shrugged them off.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
@Fenian24 won’t like this but Poitras needs to cut back the physical stuff -the lacrosse coming through -he seems to like contact

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Poitras- Sees the play, goes to the play, makes the right play. A little low octane La Fontaine.

Harrison- Big time shot, can he put enough more on his plate to go with his bread and butter.

Lysell- Can skate like it's the Ice Capades out there, handles the puck like a yo-yo on a string. Just needs to watch out for someone coming out from the seventh row that wants to put him in seventh heaven.

Topo- Little bit of Brad, little bit of the Rat, wicked wrister, what's wrong with that?

Brunet- A case to be made when you handle the puck like a feather not a grenade. Any young D the great unknown, can you find yourself when your lost in your zone.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
They weren't bad, they just didn't stand out like you want your top prospects to stand out. If they are challenging to make the NHL team, you want them to stand out like Poitras in a game that's against prospects.

Poitras- Sees the play, goes to the play, makes the right play. A little low octane La Fontaine.

Harrison- Big time shot, can he put enough more on his plate to go with his bread and butter.

Lysell- Can skate like it's the Ice Capades out there, handles the puck like a yo-yo on a string. Just needs to watch out for someone coming out from the seventh row that wants to put him in seventh heaven.

Topo- Little bit of Brad, little bit of the Rat, wicked wrister, what's wrong with that?

Brunet- A case to be made when you handle the puck like a feather not a grenade. Any young D the great unknown, can you find yourself when your lost in your zone.
I thought Brunet and Edward looked really good as a pair.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Written like an old time hockey writer - very good all around

Reactions: bruins19

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Love the extra effort here.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Does this mean Boston moves up from #32 after beating #28?
We are comfortable at 32

Not sure if anyone wears 32 or if it’s going to rafters for Sweeney (1000 games as a Bruins: 2 time GM of the year; architect of greatest team : regular season and thru 4 playoff games) but they should give it to Poitras as a reminder of the Canadian bias by Toronto fanboys rating prospect pools

Reactions: Sigh

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
They weren't bad, they just didn't stand out like you want your top prospects to stand out. If they are challenging to make the NHL team, you want them to stand out like Poitras in a game that's against prospects.

I thought Brunet and Edward looked really good as a pair.
How was Edward?

Reactions: Yeti34

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I wouldn't put too much stock in how guys like Lysell, Beecher, Lohrei, and Merkulov looked. It was game 1 of the Prospects Challenge. Those dudes already know they are going to get hard looks later on. No point in going all out and risking injury of some sort against a mediocre-at-best prospects team in mid-September given that their chance to make the Bs will come in October.

Don't produce in actual pre-season games and nobody gives two flying craps what you did in some prospects game. I see these prospects games as tune-ups for the upper-tier players. Also gives the less-ready younger kids at least some competence on the ice to better show what they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad