TSN: Bruins Off-Season Losses Adding Up

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from tsn.ca :

After setting records for the most wins and points in a season, the Boston Bruins will ice a significantly different roster in the upcoming campaign.

Veteran David Krejci hung up his skates on Monday, joining Bruins captain Patrice Bergeron in retirement this off-season and leaving Boston without their top two centres from last season.

In addition to the two retirees, gone from the Bruins' record-setting roster are forwards Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno, as well as trade-deadline additions Tyler Bertuzzi, Dmitry Orlov and Garnet Hathaway.

Hall and Foligno, who was a pending unrestricted free agent, were traded to the Chicago Blackhawks in June, with the Bruins receiving Alec Regula and Ian Mitchell back in the deal. Bertuzzi joined the rival Toronto Maple Leafs in free agency, while Orlov signed a lucrative two-year, $15.5 million contract with the Carolina Hurricanes. Hathaway joined the Philadelphia Flyers on July 1 on a two-year, $4.75 million contract.

The Bruins also lost defenceman Connor Clifton to the Buffalo Sabres in free agency, Tomas Nosek to the New Jersey Devils and bought out defenceman Mike Reilly this summer after he appeared in just 10 games with the team last season.

In total, the off-season losses for the Bruins account for 257 of the team`s 815 points last season - or 31.5 per cent.

Full story: By the Numbers: Boston Bruins off-season losses adding up | TSN

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BMC

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
In total, the off-season losses for the Bruins account for 257 of the team`s 815 points last season - or 31.5 per cent.

257 points. That feels like a bit of an exaggeration. It's going to be impossible to replace Bergeron and Krejci, that's 40 goals and 115 points between them. But they're counting role players and part timers... The other 140 points are coming from guys who had less than 36 points. I know we didn't sign all-stars but I would think Lucic can replace most of Foligno's 26 points. JVR can replace most of Hall's 36 points. Shattenkirk can replace or improve on Clifton's points... Long story short, I would think the role players can be replaced by role players.

Losing Bergeron and Krejci is huge. It's enough to say they lost them, it's going to be really tough to overcome that.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
257 points. That feels like a bit of an exaggeration.
According to the chart included in the story that number is correct:

Bergeron - 58 points
Krejci - 56 points
Hall - 36 points
Foligno - 26 points
Clifton - 23 points
Nosek - 18 points
Orlov - 17 points
Bertuzzi - 16 points
Hathaway - 6 points
Reilly - 1 point
-------------------------
total - 257 points

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Bergeron - 58 points
Krejci - 56 points
Hall - 36 points
Foligno - 26 points
Clifton - 23 points
Nosek - 18 points
Orlov - 17 points
Bertuzzi - 16 points
Hathaway - 6 points
Reilly - 1 point
total - 257 points
I'm not saying it's incorrect. I'm saying it's misleading.

Outside of Bergeron and Krejci, the rest of those point totals are replaceable.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Bergeron - 58 points
Krejci - 56 points
Hall - 36 points
Foligno - 26 points
Clifton - 23 points
Nosek - 18 points
Orlov - 17 points
Bertuzzi - 16 points
Hathaway - 6 points
Reilly - 1 point
total - 257 points
Now look at the quality of what was lost compared to the quality that was brought in.

1. Bergeron
2. Krejci
3. Hall
4. Orlov
5. Bertuzzi
6. Shattenkirk? Maybe?
7. Clifton?
8. JVR?
9. Et cetera?

The subtractions to additions are not comparable.

Reactions: bb74

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Bergeron - 58 points
Krejci - 56 points
Hall - 36 points
Foligno - 26 points
Clifton - 23 points
Nosek - 18 points
Orlov - 17 points
Bertuzzi - 16 points
Hathaway - 6 points
Reilly - 1 point
total - 257 points
10 players averaging 25.7 pts on the season. Doesn't seem so bad.

Krejci Bergeron seems seismic

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Even some of Krejci and Bergeron's points .

Playing with guys like Pasta, Marchy and DeBrusk your gonna pick up points. Your not going to replace all of them but you will replace a portion of them. Exactly how many remains to be seen.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Will be interesting to see how a guy like Zacha responds to the sort of adversity he's going to face when this team goes through some, imo inevitable, longer rough stretches. Obviously faced it in NJ before, but not in the same way at all. Little bit of a real expectation for him, now, to be one of the main guys pulling you through.

Reactions: Kegs

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

Bergeron - 58 points
Krejci - 56 points
Hall - 36 points
Foligno - 26 points
Clifton - 23 points
Nosek - 18 points
Orlov - 17 points
Bertuzzi - 16 points
Hathaway - 6 points
Reilly - 1 point
total - 257 points
Jvr will replace hall 36 points book it!

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

To be completely fair, just one season ago they already did replace Krejcis point totals and did just fine. I think you can say Zacha may replace Krejcis total, then you need to figure out who replaces Zachas

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Nobody will know for sure until the puck drops and production comes, but it is a cliff of a drop off in terms of talent and depth on the roster. Not only do they need to replace that production of guys gone, but they also need to maintain the production of the existing guys who mostly had career years last year on a stacked team. Ignore that at your peril.

Just because the wineglass is full, it isn't the same if you had to water down you 1982 Margaux with tap water...

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Even some of Krejci and Bergeron's points .

Playing with guys like Pasta, Marchy and DeBrusk your gonna pick up points. Your not going to replace all of them but you will replace a portion of them. Exactly how many remains to be seen.
They will be able to replace a portion of their points but I believe those two losses will still be felt in the goals column. It's not just the points with them, it's their superior talent. Krejci had the ability to create something out of nothing. That's invaluable in those close games. Bergeron wasn't a big 5on5 scorer (outscored by Coyle last year), but his defensive play 5on5 was invaluable, and his presence as the bumper is what opened up Pasta for so many shots.

I could see the Bergeron/Krejci losses resulting in an 80 goal swing in terms of goal differential.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
They will be able to replace a portion of their points but I believe those two losses will still be felt in the goals column. It's not just the points with them, it's their superior talent. Krejci had the ability to create something out of nothing. That's invaluable in those close games. Bergeron wasn't a big 5on5 scorer (outscored by Coyle last year), but his defensive play 5on5 was invaluable, and his presence as the bumper is what opened up Pasta for so many shots.

I could see the Bergeron/Krejci losses resulting in an 80 goal swing in terms of goal differential.
They will for sure. They're also going to fell it in the goals against column .

80 goals is a lot but very possible.

There is no way they , or anyone else for that matter, will duplicate last season. That was a ridiculous differential but in the end it didn't amount to hill of beans.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
They will for sure. They're also going to fell it in the goals against column .

80 goals is a lot but very possible.

There is no way they , or anyone else for that matter, will duplicate last season. That was a ridiculous differential but in the end it didn't amount to hill of beans.
The hopeful part, is that even if there is an 80 goal drop in goal differential, they'd still be +48. Carolina was plus 53 last year, Vegas was plus 43. So they can win a lot of games even with that big drop-off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad