Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Cats ( again) 4 - 3 )

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The entire coaching staff should have been fired two years ago. Worldly goaltending put this team in the playoffs.

Like what is this teams identify? Terrible D zone coverage, awful traditional game, dog siht power play, zero forecheck other than the fourth line. Now ,mediocre goaltending.

You want to turn a tough player into a creampuff and easy to play against? Come to the Boston bruins. See #91, guys been useless in that department so far.

Coach needs to not be on the bus after this roadtrip.
100%

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Will be interesting to see how 10 guys respond to being in contract years. That's over 40% of the 23 man roster.

We're going to see who goes and gets that money.

It's also a relief that we have this much roster flexibility (should Sweeney want to exercise it). 70M on the books after this season. Be nice if the 92M projection does hit. Guess the K guys are about to get raises if this keeps going.

Frederic has had a rough go of it to start the season. The Bruins at 5v5 with Frederic on the ice.....

Shoots: 17-32 (Favor Opp)
Goals: 1-6 (Favor Opp)
Scoring Chances: 20-6 (Favor Opp)
High Danger Chances: 2-12 (Favor Opp)
High Danger Goals: 0-4 (Favor Opp)

• Wow
Reactions: Bradely

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Jim Montgomery's record as Bruins coach:

114-34-20

Won an Adams trophy as coach of the year

Points percentage of .738

That's the same as Tom Johnson's percentage while coaching the 1971-73 Bruins. You know, "coaching" Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito in their prime.

So, after 4 games we have posters saying he should be fired. Better yet, some proud to say they wanted him fired earlier.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Some interesting numbers for the Bruins....
Scoring Chances Allowed = 122 (4th most in the NHL)
High Danger Chances Allowed = 57 (2nd most in the NHL)
High Danger Goals Allowed = 11 (most in the NHL)
Expected Goals Allowed = 13.4 (4th most in the NHL)
Goals Allowed = 15 (3rd most in the NHL)

Both Swayman & Korpi have had some goals you like to see them save, but the quantity and quality of shots/chances this team is allowing is disgusting.
Is this bad for a team spending 1/3 of its cap on defense?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Just what is 10 minus 5 then?

Poitras and Lohrei are going to have those plays that they are going to want back, But going forward I think they are two kids that have the right attitude and will learn from them, I do think, if management and coaching think they belong in the NHL, you have to let them play but at times maybe not put them in some tough positions. I think we can all point fingers who is to blame for what is going on, but I think this is a team failure and coaching staff must be held responsible. I thought Sweeney, for the first time tried to build his roster in the offseason and not at the trade deadline, but the team is in need of a RW maybe even two wings, and I don't care what side of the DeBrusk, conversation you were on, but he still needed to be replaced. I am of the opinion that this team needs some sort of a shakeup, and not just coaching changes, although it should not be ruled out, but a roster change might be needed and I am like many of you who do not want to see certain players moved, but I think everyone should be on the table. No more sideway, minor moves, time for a major shakeup, am I wrong.
Its already taken place. They have lost Ullmark, Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, DeBrusk and Foligno from 2022-23. No team is going to survive those losses without significantly
regressing. Trading any core pieces will make it worse more than likely.

Reactions: BMC

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm sure Brad is a voice but he isn't an NHL hockey coach. His job is to play hockey to a coaches game plan and win his 1 on 1's not top down view pick apart the other teams game plan and counter it. He can rally the guys as good as anyone I'm sure but I'm not gonna pretend he has this unknown ability to coach the team too. It's going on 3 years now with Monty not having a real strategy against Florida besides hoping our guys show up more then theirs. In the SCF the Oilers eventually found a way to break Florida's NZ game. How was their coach able to figure it out in 3 games and the B's coach is going on three years with the same plan?
Because Boston doesn't have McDavid to break defenses down like Edmonton. The games Edmonton won, McDavid was a huge factor, 3 times.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Take a deep breath....the season is just starting.
Oil and Aves are 0-3.
At least we are at .500.

Is this bad for a team spending 1/3 of its cap on defense?
Half of our dee have played less than 50 games for the Bruins ( ML / AP / NZ)
It takes time for them to learn the system and gel as a unit.
Be patient.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Its already taken place. They have lost Ullmark, Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, DeBrusk and Foligno from 2022-23. No team is going to survive those losses without significantly
regressing. Trading any core pieces will make it worse more than likely.
They need top six, to replace DeBrusk and in the future Marchand.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Monty calling the team 'mentally weak' is appropriate. That's what I thought watching yesterday's game. They let Florida get them off their game so easily.
Didn't hear his whole interview, but did he acknowledge he has some part to play in making sure they are mentally prepared for these Florida games?

They certainly have some performance issues in the top 6, but it's early here. They can get this sorted out. I'm not going to worry yet at this time when they're still 2-2.

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Poitras and Lohrei are going to have those plays that they are going to want back, But going forward I think they are two kids that have the right attitude and will learn from them, I do think, if management and coaching think they belong in the NHL, you have to let them play but at times maybe not put them in some tough positions. I think we can all point fingers who is to blame for what is going on, but I think this is a team failure and coaching staff must be held responsible. I thought Sweeney, for the first time tried to build his roster in the offseason and not at the trade deadline, but the team is in need of a RW maybe even two wings, and I don't care what side of the DeBrusk, conversation you were on, but he still needed to be replaced. I am of the opinion that this team needs some sort of a shakeup, and not just coaching changes, although it should not be ruled out, but a roster change might be needed and I am like many of you who do not want to see certain players moved, but I think everyone should be on the table. No more sideway, minor moves, time for a major shakeup, am I wrong.
sorry, should have mentioned that I fully accept that young mistakes will happen

Sweeney knows they still need a RW, just watch the first Behind the Bruins episode, it`s clear he and the scouts felt they needed to lock in a Lindholm and Zadorov first, filled out the bottom 6 a bit (Kastelic has been brilliant, that Koepke solid too)

Not sure how many newbies the team has, 5-6? So that`ll take time and let`s be honest, sure the boys practice in TC but they don`t play anywhere near the time they need to form chemistry in the preseason.

Marchand had 3 off season surgeries so I sort of expected a bit of a slow start but Coyle, Geeks, Freddy need to start producing, loving Lindholm, Zadorov still looking a bit uncertain about the system but he`ll get it

This team isn`t in trouble, but some things to work on for sure

Monty calling the team 'mentally weak' is appropriate. That's what I thought watching yesterday's game. They let Florida get them off their game so easily.
Didn't hear his whole interview, but did he acknowledge he has some part to play in making sure they are mentally prepared for these Florida games?

They certainly have some performance issues in the top 6, but it's early here. They can get this sorted out. I'm not going to worry yet at this time when they're still 2-2.
really? I don`t think so, a few players making oodles of cash not delivering

Reactions: JAD

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Kid is really lucky he didn't get 10M. 8.25M is plenty pressure enough in a true #1 role.

The 8.25M watch stands at .893 and 2.98

think with him missing the preseason, that's probably not as bad as it looks
3 games in 5 days is unheard of for us to do it after no preseason even more crazy. Rask never did that regular season.

Nice to have a sure thing in net and we can argue about the backup. Rags guy turning down 11m per automatically justifies the deal.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Some interesting numbers for the Bruins....

Scoring Chances Allowed = 122 (4th most in the NHL)
High Danger Chances Allowed = 57 (2nd most in the NHL)
High Danger Goals Allowed = 11 (most in the NHL)
Expected Goals Allowed = 13.4 (4th most in the NHL)
Goals Allowed = 15 (3rd most in the NHL)

Both Swayman & Korpi have had some goals you like to see them save, but the quantity and quality of shots/chances this team is allowing is disgusting.
Defense is supposed to be the Bruins' strength, but it's tiresome that the Bruins spend as much as they do on their defense without getting the results. Coming into the season with Swayman missing training camp and Korpisalo, the defense had to play better. It often feels like they rely on their goaltender to bail them out.

Hopefully it's just rust like it will be for Swayman until he gets more games under his belt, but it's pretty disappointing that they are playing the way they are when they had all offseason and preseason to prepare.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yep, back in the 70's the reffing was so favorable for the habs, I swear the refs were either relatives of the Canadiens, close friends....or habs players :sarcasm:
I'm reading Don Cherry's books and if you read them you'll get a bit of an inside look at how things work in the hockey in general and the NHL specifically.
These guys IMHO aren't too bright since they let certain coaches/conditions manipulate them.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Take a deep breath....the season is just starting.
Oil and Aves are 0-3.
At least we are at .500.

Half of our dee have played less than 50 games for the Bruins ( ML / AP / NZ)
It takes time for them to learn the system and gel as a unit.
Be patient.
It's not that they are 2-2 It's how they are playing. Suppose to be bigger and tougher, with more push back. That has been completely missing. Goalie getting run, Pasta getting run and Zacha having to fight for him, no response to Greer the whole game.

They will be fine regarding wins and losses in the regular season but this was suppose to be about being tougher to play against and a tougher out in the playoffs, I have seen no indication of that yet.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I am not in the "fire Monty" camp, but you have to admit his tenure has been tainted by playoff failure.

If winning the cup = success in the playoffs, then 94% of teams fail in the playoffs.

Why do we quickly look at the coach and not the players for failing in the playoffs? Why doesn't any ever look at a guy like Pastrnak who over the last 3 regular seasons was a 1.05 P/GP player, but a 0.70 P/GP in the playoffs?

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
That 2nd line has been a hunk of junk so far.
Love Marchy but his best offensive days are behind him. Seems to lose the puck constantly in the o-zone.
Teams 0-4 if the fourth line isn't leading the team in scoring right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad