Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Cats ( again) 4 - 3 )

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
When the TV cuts to the coaches you'll see Maurice talking to his guys, hyping them up or ripping his team a new one hes clearly engaged in happenings on ice. Whenever it cuts to Monty, he's just sitting there like a content turtle on the shore of a beach enjoying the moment and happy to be there. I really think there is just no voice in the room and the guys are lost playing on talent level alone but no one is on the same page.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Kid is really lucky he didn't get 10M. 8.25M is plenty pressure enough in a true #1 role.

The 8.25M watch stands at .893 and 2.98

think with him missing the preseason, that's probably not as bad as it looks

Reactions: Ladyfan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Some interesting numbers for the Bruins....

Scoring Chances Allowed = 122 (4th most in the NHL)
High Danger Chances Allowed = 57 (2nd most in the NHL)
High Danger Goals Allowed = 11 (most in the NHL)
Expected Goals Allowed = 13.4 (4th most in the NHL)
Goals Allowed = 15 (3rd most in the NHL)

Both Swayman & Korpi have had some goals you like to see them save, but the quantity and quality of shots/chances this team is allowing is disgusting.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
two bad mistakes, one by Poitras, one by Lohrei , guys like Geeks, Marchand, Freddy and Coyle producing next to nothing and a PP that looks awful and Poof, two pts gone

Morning Bru guys said it. You play the kids you get the kid mistakes. Gotta live with it.

But the vets gotta find their game by game 10. For sure.

Something about the middle 6 definitely needs a proper scramble. And the truth is this roster has to play the way Seattle plays. It's gotta be 4 lines of chaos and hard play or it doesn't work. They need to lean into that identity asap and realize they are not going to win by scoring 5. Time to win 3-2 games.

Btw I say "middle 6", but check the ice times. We already have two third lines, basically (3+4). We shall see who the 4th line really is pretty soon.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
two bad mistakes, one by Poitras, one by Lohrei , guys like Geeks, Marchand, Freddy and Coyle producing next to nothing and a PP that looks awful and Poof, two pts gone
Poitras and Lohrei are going to have those plays that they are going to want back, But going forward I think they are two kids that have the right attitude and will learn from them, I do think, if management and coaching think they belong in the NHL, you have to let them play but at times maybe not put them in some tough positions. I think we can all point fingers who is to blame for what is going on, but I think this is a team failure and coaching staff must be held responsible. I thought Sweeney, for the first time tried to build his roster in the offseason and not at the trade deadline, but the team is in need of a RW maybe even two wings, and I don't care what side of the DeBrusk, conversation you were on, but he still needed to be replaced. I am of the opinion that this team needs some sort of a shakeup, and not just coaching changes, although it should not be ruled out, but a roster change might be needed and I am like many of you who do not want to see certain players moved, but I think everyone should be on the table. No more sideway, minor moves, time for a major shakeup, am I wrong.

Reactions: Ladyfan

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Kid is really lucky he didn't get 10M. 8.25M is plenty pressure enough in a true #1 role.

I'm not expecting much until after Thanksgiving... Giving him time to get up to speed.
The way things look though he's going to see plenty of rubber, so hopefully sooner.
My concern is durability and mental fatigue, especially if they don't have confidence in their back up.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Some interesting numbers for the Bruins....

Scoring Chances Allowed = 122 (4th most in the NHL)
High Danger Chances Allowed = 57 (2nd most in the NHL)
High Danger Goals Allowed = 11 (most in the NHL)
Expected Goals Allowed = 13.4 (4th most in the NHL)
Goals Allowed = 15 (3rd most in the NHL)

Both Swayman & Korpi have had some goals you like to see them save, but the quantity and quality of shots/chances this team is allowing is disgusting.
You say "interesting", I'd phrase it another way.

Reactions: goldenblack

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Poitras and Lohrei are going to have those plays that they are going to want back, But going forward I think they are two kids that have the right attitude and will learn from them, I do think, if management and coaching think they belong in the NHL, you have to let them play but at times maybe not put them in some tough positions. I think we can all point fingers who is to blame for what is going on, but I think this is a team failure and coaching staff must be held responsible. I thought Sweeney, for the first time tried to build his roster in the offseason and not at the trade deadline, but the team is in need of a RW maybe even two wings, and I don't care what side of the DeBrusk, conversation you were on, but he still needed to be replaced. I am of the opinion that this team needs some sort of a shakeup, and not just coaching changes, although it should not be ruled out, but a roster change might be needed and I am like many of you who do not want to see certain players moved, but I think everyone should be on the table. No more sideway, minor moves, time for a major shakeup, am I wrong.
Yes, you're wrong.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Im not sure how much of my unhappiness with this loss comes from how much I hate the panthers going back to 2023 now or if it's truly about being unhappy with the Bruins themselves
I think it will take time for them to find chemistry, and it's hard to manifest fire when you're also using your brain too much on the ice

But if by game 10 this team hasn't gelled, I will hold it against Monty for not getting them locked in for a game and just going out there ready to dig pucks out of corners like dog's on raw meat

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
When the TV cuts to the coaches you'll see Maurice talking to his guys, hyping them up or ripping his team a new one hes clearly engaged in happenings on ice. Whenever it cuts to Monty, he's just sitting there like a content turtle on the shore of a beach enjoying the moment and happy to be there. I really think there is just no voice in the room and the guys are lost playing on talent level alone but no one is on the same page.
I don't know about Monty but if you believe Brad isn't a voice in the room I don't know what to tell you

That is what I hope as well

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Over the last two years the team has had a large turnover in player personnel. The team has lost some good to elite players over that time especially in the forward ranks. It is no wonder the team appears to be out of sync.

E. Lindholm is the only experienced addition to the forwards that has above average talent. Poitras has talent but he is inexperienced and learning on the fly, there will be mistakes. Most of the other additions are players other teams found expendable in one form or another. So their over all talent and impact has been - meh.

A shake up trade, I don't think you will this season only because of the already large turnover of players. That said, I have about 10 players I would avoid trading which I'm sure would be different from your list. But at this point the only trade worth making would be one where Boston clearly improves the team (outright wins the trade), otherwise they will live with the evils they are already aware of. They may try to add at the trade deadline, but any 'shake up trade' were it to happen would take place in the off season.

Edit: The only major change you might see would be, if the team is struggling to make the playoffs fighting for a wildcard spot come mid February, in the change of head coach. This would be an audition for the replacement to possibly save the season by making the playoffs and how the team would perform over that time and any playoff games.

Last edited:

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I don't know about Monty but if you believe Brad isn't a voice in the room I don't know what to tell you

That is what I hope as well
I'm sure Brad is a voice but he isn't an NHL hockey coach. His job is to play hockey to a coaches game plan and win his 1 on 1's not top down view pick apart the other teams game plan and counter it. He can rally the guys as good as anyone I'm sure but I'm not gonna pretend he has this unknown ability to coach the team too. It's going on 3 years now with Monty not having a real strategy against Florida besides hoping our guys show up more then theirs. In the SCF the Oilers eventually found a way to break Florida's NZ game. How was their coach able to figure it out in 3 games and the B's coach is going on three years with the same plan?

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
considering the Bruins are typically one of the more sound defensive teams in the NHL, ya its interesting to see they've been the opposite to start the season
The entire coaching staff should have been fired two years ago. Worldly goaltending put this team in the playoffs.

Like what is this teams identify? Terrible D zone coverage, awful traditional game, dog siht power play, zero forecheck other than the fourth line. Now ,mediocre goaltending.

You want to turn a tough player into a creampuff and easy to play against? Come to the Boston bruins. See #91, guys been useless in that department so far.

Coach needs to not be on the bus after this roadtrip.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Over the last two years the team has had a large turnover in player personnel. The team has lost some good to elite players over that time especially in the forward ranks. It is no wonder the team appears to be out of sync.

E. Lindholm is the only experienced addition to the forwards that has above average talent. Poitras has talent but he is inexperienced and learning on the fly, there will be mistakes. Most of the other additions are players other teams found expendable in one form or another. So their over all talent and impact has been - meh.

A shake up trade, I don't think you will this season only because of the already large turnover of players. That said, I have about 10 players I would avoid trading which I'm sure would be different from your list. But at this point the only trade worth making would be one where Boston clearly improves the team (outright wins the trade), otherwise they will live with the evils they are already aware of. They may try to add at the trade deadline, but any 'shake up trade' were it to happen would take place in the off season.
I agree with you on the turnover, that can definitely, be part of the problem, but don't you think that preseason should have been a time to use these players together to try and develop some chemistry, and know that they wanted to give some of the kids a look, especially Lysell, but just a thought. I also think this could get out of hand real quick, and am of the not panic mode generally, but it is a must keep the finger on the pulse.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I agree with you on the turnover, that can definitely, be part of the problem, but don't you think that preseason should have been a time to use these players together to try and develop some chemistry, and know that they wanted to give some of the kids a look, especially Lysell, but just a thought. I also think this could get out of hand real quick, and am of the not panic mode generally, but it is a must keep the finger on the pulse.
It's only 4 games ... I understand, but give it at least 40 games before panicking. If St Louis can go from last place overall in January to a cup anything is possible ... just an example.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Will be interesting to see how 10 guys respond to being in contract years. That's over 40% of the 23 man roster.

We're going to see who goes and gets that money.

It's also a relief that we have this much roster flexibility (should Sweeney want to exercise it). 70M on the books after this season. Be nice if the 92M projection does hit. Guess the K guys are about to get raises if this keeps going.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It's only 4 games ... I understand, but give it at least 40 games before panicking. If St Louis can go from last place overall in January to a cup anything is possible ... just an example.
Your right 4 games is a small sample but 40 games, that is risky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad