Confirmed with Link: Bruins hire Don Sweeney as GM

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i always wondered who else he talked too about Seguin. i think on behind the b he said he was in talks with other teams but it didnt amount to much. I was really hoping Tampa as well but i wanted Drouin. But in hindsight Jones absolutely.

I don't know that they even talked to Tampa. There were rumors about Calagary and the #6 pick.

Monahan and Gaudreau (plus) would look pretty good in Black n Gold.

I never had a problem with dealing Seguin (same as Thornton), but if you are going to do it, the return has to be great.

Would anyone be complaining if the B's got Loui, Smith, Klingberg (instead of Morrow) and one of Chiasson/Ritchie/Vincour (instead of Fraser)?

Not me.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Here is what I would like the Bs to look like this season

Lucic-Backes-Coyle
Marchand-Bergy-Connolly
Rychel-Spooner-Pasta
M.Foligno-Talbot-Randell

Chara-Hamilton
Krug-Michalek(unless Siedenberg finds his legs)
Morrow-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-?

Get it done Sweeney :D

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Listen to Toucher & Rich podcast this am with Sweeney. Reading between the lines he was the wait on Seguin I bet. I had heard it was not a 5 minute all in agreement lets trade 'Tyler'.

I always suspected it was Sweeney or Neely but was guessing. Benning I assumed was the one pushing. Again - speculating that it wasn't a slam dunk. The interview about 'behind door disagreementa' followed by United front when door opens makes me think Everett Mike should love this guy

#TeamSweeney

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I don't know that they even talked to Tampa. There were rumors about Calagary and the #6 pick.

I never had a problem with dealing Seguin (same as Thornton), but if you are going to do it, the return has to be great.

Would anyone be complaining if the B's got Loui, Smith, Klingberg (instead of Morrow) and one of Chiasson/Ritchie/Vincour (instead of Fraser)?

Not me.

I would have been good with that. Loui, Smith, Klingberg (looks like a long term top 4d), and Ritchie (no to chiasson).

If we got #6 from CGY, do you think we take Monahan even though he's a C? Maybe we would have taken Darnell Nurse to pair with Dougie. :(

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
The jury is obviously still out on Sweeney but there were a few things that I liked from yesterday's press conference. First, he is very well spoken. Chia is a smart man but does not sound like one when he speaks, especially when every second word is "like". Second, I liked hearing that he wanted to improve scoring while remaining defensively responsible. Finally, I love that he emphasized communication with his staff and players. It appears that he understands the value of hearing others out. That's not to say Chia didn't do that but it was nice to hear from Don.

The searching and talking is done. Now get to work!

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Lucic-Backes-Coyle
Marchand-Bergy-Connolly
Rychel-Spooner-Pasta
M.Foligno-Talbot-Randell

Chara-Hamilton
Morrow-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-?

I actually like that lineup :laugh:

Pipe dream. But I like it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Lucic-Backes-Coyle
Marchand-Bergy-Connolly
Rychel-Spooner-Pasta
M.Foligno-Talbot-Randell

Chara-Hamilton
Morrow-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-?

Did we just get rental Backes for Krecji? Backes does nothing for me, won't make us any better and Michalek UFA is getting old and will get money.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Did we just get rental Backes for Krecji? Backes does nothing for me, won't make us any better and Michalek UFA is getting old and will get money.

Really don't understand what the infatuation is with trading the one good offensive player on our team. Especially when the deal usually revolves around scrubs like Backes and Oshie.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Really don't understand what the infatuation is with trading the one good offensive player on our team. Especially when the deal usually revolves around scrubs like Backes and Oshie.

you go with two 200 foot players in Bergeon and Krejci, and let Spooner play third line.

Eriksson-Krejci-Connelly

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith

Lucic-Spooner-Pastrank

I like Loui (assuming he's here) with Krejci; and I like Connelly with a play maker....the Spooner line played well last year and should have a motivated Lucic, a much better, older, and experienced Pasta and Spooner

not bad forward group when your oldest guy is Bergeron

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005

Not me.

If the trade was for Monahan and Gaudreau, it would have happened.

The trade was for Baertschi and Lindholm, but Carolina took Lindholm with the #5 pick, so the trade was canceled.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

The trade was for Baertschi and Lindholm, but Carolina took Lindholm with the #5 pick, so the trade was canceled.

Did we value Lindholm that much more than Monahan/Nurse/etc

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I'd seen Gaudreau's name mentioned as well. At the time I was livid because I thought he was too small and wouldn't produce in the NHL. I was very wrong :laugh:

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I'd seen Gaudreau's name mentioned as well. At the time I was livid because I thought he was too small and wouldn't produce in the NHL. I was very wrong :laugh:

I saw speculation that it was 6th overall, Gaudreau, and a good roster player (Stempniak?). Could have taken Monahan, Nurse, Horvat, Nichuskin:cry:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
you go with two 200 foot players in Bergeon and Krejci, and let Spooner play third line.

Eriksson-Krejci-Connelly

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith

Lucic-Spooner-Pastrank

I like Loui (assuming he's here) with Krejci; and I like Connelly with a play maker....the Spooner line played well last year and should have a motivated Lucic, a much better, older, and experienced Pasta and Spooner

Swap Eriksson with Smith (because Loui looks more comfortable than Smith on RW and Smith stinks at break-outs on his off-wing) and it's not a terrible forward group. Could be a lot worse. Gimme some young legs and grit in the form of Ferlin, Koko, Randell, Flick, etc. on the 4th line and they might not be in bad shape.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I saw speculation that it was 6th overall, Gaudreau, and a good roster player (Stempniak?). Could have taken Monahan, Nurse, Horvat, Nichuskin:cry:

The buzz at the draft real or imagined was Calgary 6th overall if Lindholm available (he wasn't) johnny Hockey and another player - but I don't think it was just Seguin because I did not like what I heard. I was not sold on Gudreau and Seguin was well Seguin.

The trade would have worked out but I was not a fan. With hindsight I change but still wish Seguin worked since he was home grown

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Eriksson-Krejci-Connelly

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith

Lucic-Spooner-Pastrank

I was thinking about phrasing this in a different way. Depth charts.

C
Krejci
Bergeron
Spooner
Talbot
Khokhlachev

LW
Lucic
Marchand
Smith
Kelly
???

RW
Pastrnak
Eriksson
Connolly
Ferlin
Griffith

LD
Chara
Seidenberg
Krug
Morrow

RD
Hamilton
McQuaid
Miller
Trotman

Highlight the areas you'd like to improve, what can move and where.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

Eriksson-Krejci-Connelly

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith

Lucic-Spooner-Pastrank

Even though the team struggled to score goals, the forward group looked A LOT better at the end of the season. I think the biggest wildcard here is Connolly. If he can take the step that a lot of people think he can, we have a dangerous first line. Connolly can be the guy to help fill the void Horton and Iginla made when they left.

The biggest problem is our defense at this point, but coming into this season, that might not all be bad either. Chara and Seids need to be 100% and Hamilton needs to continue to improve. The bottom three can use work. I like Krug A LOT and McQuaid is solid. They need to sure up that last spot, as I don't have a lot of confidence in the remaining pieces.

The doom and gloom around this team is overstated. This team has the horses, they just need to put everything together.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I am obviously on the side that not much has to be done with this roster . I personally blame underperformances for most of last yr along with injuries. After listening to Sweeney I actually think he is going to change too much and try to turn this team and Claude in to something they aren't.

First off I would imagine he said wait and see on Seguin. That does make him right and Peter wrong on a very big decision but big deal, I didn't want to trade Tyler either and that doesn't make me smarter than Peter. My guess is Sweeney is going to move out guys like loui who is an all around awesome hockey player and build the team around guys like Spooner. He brought him up yesterday twice like he is some type of gem. Unlike everyone else on this board I am not sold on Spooner as anything more than a very good PP player plus a good offensive threat on regular line play. Now Pastrnak is a gem I get that.

Sweeney seem to imply the offense was the major problem last yr and to be honest I didn't totally see it that way. With this type of team the scoring seems to come and go with how well they are playing and confidence. The bruins were as loose as ever in there own end plus more odd man breaks than ever, just ask Tuukka. We cant afford to take a step back in this area and it is impossible not to with the changes he will want.

I want wins and long playoff runs. For you guys that want to lose games 5-3 etc I think you might get your wish . This team is so so so far away from being able to constantly win high scoring shoot outs it will take years to build that type of team if ever. You just cant turn the La kings in to the blackhawks in a couple of years.

I hope I am wrong and he doesn't change too much and I know that is what a lot of the non Sweeney supporters are saying. I think how he handles the personal will give us an idea. If I like the moves he makes player wise I will jump on board with him and let it be known on here but I am guessing now I wont.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad