Boston Bruins Bruins Garbage Bag Day - Team was more banged up than we feared

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Man Wagner couldn’t have been really ready to play the last couple of games,if Acciari was so banged up and they still wouldn’t take him out.

Yeah when did he break his arm again? He’d have been playing in a cast not able to grasp the stick great. Still would have skated and hit but pick your poison. I think Wagner would have played over Heinen if anyone but we likely realized they’d shelve the goonery in a game 7.

All this coming out makes me kinda mad at Cassidy. Sitting Clifton for Gryz criminal he was as at fault on G2 and that’s just a tough ask of a guy off a concusion who knows how long he misses if it’s regular season. That wasn’t Gryz first rodeo though he watched my Friars skate the trophy on Garden ice good thing we put him in not 100% to watch St Louis do it with the Cup if he steps up the dude never gets that soft backhand that beat Rask off Tuukka was probably distracted that his D man was about to skate into him instead of trying to prevent a shot. No Coyle promotion is a f***ing joke give them JDB and demote DK at least for a period. 2 coaching staffs haven’t had the balls to split up Bergeron and Marchand freaking ever not even for a couple shifts it seems.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Krejci was given 2 of our worst wingers (Groundhog Day) while Golden Boy-Bergy got the 2 best.
Honestly I'd experiment with breaking up Marchand and Bergy next year. Not commit to it full time, but give Brad some games on Krejci's wing and see if his production is comparable.

I just find it more likely that Bergeron turns a guy like Heinen or Bjork into a 60 point player than Krejci doing anything with them.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Yeah when did he break his arm again? He’d have been playing in a cast not able to grasp the stick great. Still would have skated and hit but pick your poison. I think Wagner would have played over Heinen if anyone but we likely realized they’d shelve the goonery in a game 7.

All this coming out makes me kinda mad at Cassidy. Sitting Clifton for Gryz criminal he was as at fault on G2 and that’s just a tough ask of a guy off a concusion who knows how long he misses if it’s regular season. That wasn’t Gryz first rodeo though he watched my Friars skate the trophy on Garden ice good thing we put him in not 100% to watch St Louis do it with the Cup if he steps up the dude never gets that soft backhand that beat Rask off Tuukka was probably distracted that his D man was about to skate into him instead of trying to prevent a shot. No Coyle promotion is a ****ing joke give them JDB and demote DK at least for a period. 2 coaching staffs haven’t had the balls to split up Bergeron and Marchand freaking ever not even for a couple shifts it seems.
I think reluctant to move Coyle because the third line was really there best line,but definitely should have tried something to try and get the first and second line going,why not swap Krejci with Bergeron,swap Debrusk something,I guess it was live or die with there lines,It almost worked.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Honestly I'd experiment with breaking up Marchand and Bergy next year. Not commit to it full time, but give Brad some games on Krejci's wing and see if his production is comparable.

I just find it more likely that Bergeron turns a guy like Heinen or Bjork into a 60 point player than Krejci doing anything with them.
Yeah I’m not against it top line has been pretty much shut down 5-5 in the last two years,so why not try other things,they can still play on the power plays.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Some thoughts:

Man, playoff hockey is a war.

1) Acciari: playing (the way he does, physical, hitting) with a broken sternum?

2) Miller: What a bad luck season he had. I want to know what happened in rehab. He's rehabbing a kneecap with a vertical break, it's progressing well. Then the same kneecap suffers a horizontal break? Like, a different break? How does that even happen? Did a weight drop on it?

3) Want to hear more details on the DeBrusk concussion situation. He was cleared, right? But he was still battling with it? With symptoms? Or just some sort of after-effects?

4) It's very frustrating to think that during a playoff season when we were all baffled as to why our two most potent wingers – Marchand and Pasta – were not scoring as we'd expect, that the former re-injured his hand in that scrimmage, and the latter hurt his hand originally by slipping on some sidewalk ice at a team event (to paraphrase Todd Rundgren, for the want of some sidewalk salt).

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
irks me when people say it’s an excuse to release this list. Been done since the start of time.

Also the list doesn’t shock me at all except for Acciari. Nothing that couldn’t be played though. Seems like they tagged on “injured groin” quite a bit

Reactions: PaulD

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

All this coming out makes me kinda mad at Cassidy. Sitting Clifton for Gryz criminal he was as at fault on G2 and that’s just a tough ask of a guy off a concusion who knows how long he misses if it’s regular season. That wasn’t Gryz first rodeo though he watched my Friars skate the trophy on Garden ice good thing we put him in not 100% to watch St Louis do it with the Cup if he steps up the dude never gets that soft backhand that beat Rask off Tuukka was probably distracted that his D man was about to skate into him instead of trying to prevent a shot. No Coyle promotion is a ****ing joke give them JDB and demote DK at least for a period. 2 coaching staffs haven’t had the balls to split up Bergeron and Marchand freaking ever not even for a couple shifts it seems.
The irony is the game is 100% different if Clifton plays - good or bad.

Everything after Clifton takes the ice is different

The game plays out different and obviously Grzelcyk never scores

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Or even Backes if Wagner couldn't go.

Just ridiculous.
Backes should have played game 7. He had just been rested. Could be his last game. Would have chewed through the boards to win it. Also would have gone to the net harder than a lot of those injured Bruins were.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

I thought Cassidy was out coached in the series.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Some thoughts:

2) Miller: What a bad luck season he had. I want to know what happened in rehab. He's rehabbing a kneecap with a vertical break, it's progressing well. Then the same kneecap suffers a horizontal break? Like, a different break? How does that even happen? Did a weight drop on it?

3) Want to hear more details on the DeBrusk concussion situation. He was cleared, right? But he was still battling with it? With symptoms? Or just some sort of after-effects?

4) It's very frustrating to think that during a playoff season when we were all baffled as to why our two most potent wingers – Marchand and Pasta – were not scoring as we'd expect, that the former re-injured his hand in that scrimmage, and the latter hurt his hand originally by slipping on some sidewalk ice at a team event (to paraphrase Todd Rundgren, for the want of some sidewalk salt).
Nothing new though really.

Marchand was out of gas last season by round two. And injured groin. Bergeron has played injured after game 85 for like how long? 012, 013, 018 and 019. Four of the last five Bruins play offs.

But I am very impressed with some of the Bruins young guys. Hoping they get a bigger share of the ice time in regular season. Let guys like Marchand, Bergie, Chara, Kretcji, take a back seat some nights.

Coyle and Johanson should become long time Bruins.

Trade Heinen .

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Backes should have played game 7. He had just been rested. Could be his last game. Would have chewed through the boards to win it. Also would have gone to the net harder than a lot of those injured Bruins were.
With how banged up Acciari was ,its kind of surprising they didn’t go with Backes on the forth line ,rather than using him on the second where he was obviously a poor fit,but then the forth line had been so good for them throughout the playoffs,although I thought they struggled a bit the last few games,compared to earlier in the series.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Some thoughts:

my 110% amateur physician opinion on Jake was/is he played hesitant after the concussion and it`s not a huge surprise, we`ve seen many others play the same. Not a chance would I consider it easy to come back after a brain injury and immediately put your health on the line each shift. I`ve had 2 concussions and struggled a ton at work, especially after my second one.

Reactions: Chief Nine

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
I’m concerned about the bruins overall conditioning, they seem to endure more injuries than average and it’s been a trend the past few years

I think it's more the style of play that leads to more physical contact. For instance they tend to hold onto the puck longer in order to draw an opponent towards them which frees up a teammate. Often times they end up getting hit and usually against the boards.
They've shown how fit they are this past season by their record in back to back games.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Closing out this season I would only say we allow some time for healing the start of next season. Make sure to stay in the playoff race, but don't worry about where they finish in the standings. Let's let the bodies heal through the fall. No China trip next year so no need to rush anyone back. Use October and November to work some kids in the lineup every night, use the depth on D to heal the wounds.
One could argue that the reward for finishing higher in the standings actually no longer outweighs the punishment.

Still tasked with taking on the top teams in the early rounds (so no more is there a matchup reward unless you're first) and it hurts your draft position. Not to mention killing yourself through a gruelling 82.

Tradeoff is only home ice. I think I'll take the former.

Slow and steady through the regular season. Extra rest playoff position permitting. And go into the post-season fresher and healthier.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
One could argue that the reward for finishing higher in the standings actually no longer outweighs the punishment.

Still tasked with taking on the top teams in the early rounds (so no more is there a matchup reward unless you're first) and it hurts your draft position. Not to mention killing yourself through a gruelling 82.

Tradeoff is only home ice. I think I'll take the former.

Slow and steady through the regular season. Extra rest playoff position permitting. And go into the post-season fresher and healthier.

Fact is the Blues had home ice advantage in just one series out of four. And you could argue the only series where they did have home ice (vs. Dallas) was the one they came closest to losing (won Game 7 OT).

I pains me to think that if Benn gets the blade of his stick just out an inch further, Dallas win the series in OT and there is no parade in St. Louis. It really is a game of inches.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad