News Article: Bruins Front Office ranked top 5

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Every person here wants more cups. At the end of the day many are essentially complaining that we are not as successful as 4 to 5 other teams over the past decade and a bit.

I understand where the older crowd of fans might have a bit more reason to be upset considering some might have only seen cup success for this team for the first time in a long time in 2011 and now we seem to be headed back to being a middling team.

Really I don't get why we all care how other people cheer for this team, not a shot at you or anyone else, but if someone wants to be miserable unless we win the cup or enjoy regular season success like a cup win, that's their perogative.
Winning a cup or not doesn't make my life any better or worse, but the goal in sports is to win the championship. Teams in all sports compete to win. I have heard Jacobs on down to Zadorov say that's the only thing that matters. Having the most regular season wins in a decade and not winning the cup is a failure to me, I'm sorry, and I guess I'm in the minority. Doesn't mean they are not fun to watch during the regular season or that I don't enjoy it, I mean I watch most games per season since I got Center Ice on 1998 I think? I felt the same way about my 80's Mets and every good Vikings team that makes the NFCC game but can't seal the deal.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Winning a cup or not doesn't make my life any better or worse, but the goal in sports is to win the championship. Teams in all sports compete to win. I have heard Jacobs on down to Zadorov say that's the only thing that matters. Having the most regular season wins in a decade and not winning the cup is a failure to me, I'm sorry, and I guess I'm in the minority. Doesn't mean they are not fun to watch during the regular season or that I don't enjoy it, I mean I watch most games per season since I got Center Ice on 1998 I think? I felt the same way about my 80's Mets and every good Vikings team that makes the NFCC game but can't seal the deal.
Yeah and it is what matters to a point, most of us fall in between the two extremes I mentioned either way including most in this thread.

It is what it is really we all cheer and measure success differently, I'm about as negative as I can be when it comes to the Vikings and am pretty much the opposite with the Bruins for whatever reason - probably because the Vikings have only let me down in my lifetime and the Bruins delivered the one cup for me

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah and it is what matters to a point, most of us fall in between the two extremes I mentioned either way including most in this thread.

It is what it is really we all cheer and measure success differently, I'm about as negative as I can be when it comes to the Vikings and am pretty much the opposite with the Bruins for whatever reason - probably because the Vikings have only let me down in my lifetime and the Bruins delivered the one cup for me
I think all you have to do is read the Patriots threads (or the chatter about the Patriots on Twitter etc) to know that regardless of the number of recent championships, some fans will be miserable until their team does it again.

Reactions: NDiesel

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I didn't mean to come across that way. My point is the owners are fine with one round won because always making the playoffs means always selling out in the regular season and that's whats important to them. That's why you will never see a rebuild and why they will always get stuck signing older guys and drafting low round 1 unless they deal those picks for immediate help for the current season.
I do think Sweeney is trying to win. He won't be judged on that though by the owners if he doesn't though, even though Charlie says thats what the end result should be, but there is no accountability for not winning a cup. Chia was fired one season after appearing in two cups and being the best team in the league in 2014. It's because they didn't make the playoffs that year.
I think some of that is fair. There definitely seems to be immediate accountability for missing the playoffs. "Accountability for not winning the cup" is a tough one to prove. I mean, how do you fire a GM who's won GM of the year, has the most regular season wins during his tenure and been to G7 of the Stanley Cup Finals? Would any team fire their GM with that resume?

I remember you arguing in Sweeney's favor after that 2019 playoff run. I said it must keep Sweeney up at nights knowing that if he had traded for a RW he may well have a ring, and you said he built a team that got to G7, he did enough, the players choked. I mean, if you felt that way, it's reasonable to think the owners did too. And still do.

My other counterpoint would be, losing on purpose and drafting high isn't a silver bullet. Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Anaheim, Montreal, Jersey, Philly... how long did these teams struggle? How much longer will they have to struggle? When do they win the Cup? Meanwhile the 'only care about regular season wins" Bruins have never bottomed out and over the last 15 years have been to 3 Cup Finals and won a Championship. So, long story short (too late) I'm not convinced you have to be awful to be good.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think all you have to do is read the Patriots threads (or the chatter about the Patriots on Twitter etc) to know that regardless of the number of recent championships, some fans will be miserable until their team does it again.
Funny enough I ventured in there yesterday for the first time and thought better than to point out how miserable everyone was for a team that just had an insane run of championships. Like I'd happily enjoy the Vikings in the basement for a few years for 1 championships let alone the 6 they had + being competitive the entire time

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Yes, of course.

I get upset whenever they lose a series in the playoffs. That ends the season.

Doesn't mean I have to come on here and belabor the point every freakin' day for the next few decades. Especially when used as a means to downgrading the current situation.
No one says you should. Nor any of us should. But it’s a viable discussion point in a thread rating the Bruins’ front office over the last 15 years. When’s it’s brought-up I vent, as I have ever right to. Regardless, Go Bruins!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Thank you that's my point which is baffling to me why they fired the GM who won one in nine years, yet has one that hasn't in ten years, added to Sinden who was 0-28.

Were you really baffled when Chia was let go?

Did you think he deserved a lifetime contract because his team won a Cup?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Were you really baffled when Chia was let go?

Did you think he deserved a lifetime contract because his team won a Cup?
So he gets let go after cup win, first round loss, cup appearance, second round loss after being the best team OV then misses the playoffs with 96 pts and gets canned. I was not baffled at the time. Now I get one cup appearance the past ten years including one round won in the last three years and Sweeney from the looks of things is as secure as ever which now leaves me baffled as making the playoffs is clearly the only threshold to keeping your job

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
as making the playoffs is clearly the only threshold to keeping your job
Welcome to Bruins hockey ...
Just make the playoffs
And the anything can happen philosophy
Get as many playoff gate receipts as possible
Fans will keep coming to the rink as long as the team is competitive
Even if they don't have a snowball's chance
As long as the seats are full and there is that hope
Your job is safe

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Yes fantastic foresight to know that they would not be top contenders for a full decade after he came in, really went out on a limb there
Don’t you get that he could have? He was literally set up with the keys to a Ferrari and enough 1st round draft picks to stock the cupboard for years. The bruins had the ability to transition to a new guard without missing a beat and he blew it plain and simple.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Funny thing is I am a Pats fan and find it very easy to criticize the current team without the current team actually upsetting me in anyway. 6 titles really does make being a fan easier. Hell, the Bruins one title has made it way easier to be a fan of the team!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad