News Article: Bruins Front Office ranked top 5

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think the front office has overall done a good job but it’s clearly evident to me the owners say one thing and are happy with the 3-8 home games in the playoffs.
I think it's more that it's really hard to be the best team in the world and the Bruins have gotten close but come up short more often than not, just like the rest of the league.

How do you build a team that's designed to fail? What would be the motivation for the owners to only want to win 3-8 playoff games instead of 12-16?

What would be the advantage to deliberately building a team that spends to the cap but can only win one round? I mean, your cost is fixed at the cap, going deeper only increases profit since the players aren't paid in the playoffs.

Personally, I think the team was more successful in the Chiarelli days because the core of the team was in their prime. Cup winners are driven by guys in their early 20's and that was Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Boychuk... What a 25 and under core that was. Even guys like Campbell, Paille and McQuaid were under 25.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Coyle, Zacha, Frederic and Geekie all had career years last season though. Elias had 44 points in 75 games. He’s had 80 pts once. Marchand is on the decline. Pasta even had 14 less goals than his career season. Maybe we are expecting too much?
I'm expecting more than they are giving at the moment.
I team that got bounced like they did, should come into the season with a determined purpose.

These guys are just cashing their checks, right now. I expected more than this.
Soft, soft, soft, soft, soft.....team, as Mayo says.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Most wins and one Cup is a failure in my book, especially since Chi, LA, Pitt and TB have 2 each (Chi 3, plus Pitt’s in 09), and even cough St L cough has one. Or we could also say most wins and but also most chokes (ok, 2nd most, after TO), which is almost true by definition if you have the most wins and only one Cup.

Really annoying that Chi won in 2010, 2013 and 2015 and then fell off a cliff, and LA won in 2012 and 2014 and then fell off a cliff, but we won in 2011 and didn’t fall of a cliff yet here we are with still only one Cup. Infuriating, really.
Why does that bother you?

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Why does that bother you?
Why does what bother me? That we only have one Cup while 4 other teams have more? Maybe because I want more too? And because we’ve been good enough to have more. I find it rather bizarre that people seem mystified that I’d have liked more than one Cup, and am not happy that we don’t. I mean why else are we here?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why does what bother me? That we only have one Cup while 4 other teams have more? Maybe because I want more too? And because we’ve been good enough to have more. I find it rather bizarre that people seem mystified that I’d have liked more than one Cup, and am not happy that we don’t. I mean why else are we here?

I don't know about you, but that's not why I'm here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I think it's more that it's really hard to be the best team in the world and the Bruins have gotten close but come up short more often than not, just like the rest of the league.

How do you build a team that's designed to fail? What would be the motivation for the owners to only want to win 3-8 playoff games instead of 12-16?

What would be the advantage to deliberately building a team that spends to the cap but can only win one round? I mean, your cost is fixed at the cap, going deeper only increases profit since the players aren't paid in the playoffs.

Personally, I think the team was more successful in the Chiarelli days because the core of the team was in their prime. Cup winners are driven by guys in their early 20's and that was Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Boychuk... What a 25 and under core that was. Even guys like Campbell, Paille and McQuaid were under 25.
They have won more than 7 games in the play-offs once in a decade. Like I said if you had no problem with the Sinden Bruins falling short of the ultimate prize I guess you're fine with this as well. I remember most fans being pissed off with Harry's 24 straight trips to the play-offs without a cup by the ten year mark. It seems at some point a lot of people went from being it's all about the cup to winning a cup is hard.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah, I would trade in the regular season success from 2017 through 2023 to have the '13 Cup. (They missed the post-season in 15 and 16, so not like we're giving those back anyway.)

Easy to say in retrospect, but would you really want to live through 7 seasons (after missing in 2015 and 2016) with losing teams? Many posters here are going nuts after 7 games, let alone 7 seasons.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
On the boards man not on earth, if that’s what you think I meant 🙄. If you don’t want to win the Cup then I really don’t know what the point is. Maybe you should play for the Bruins because they don’t seem to want to win it much either.

I'm on the boards to discuss the Bruins and hockey in general And to piss & moan if need be.

I don't see how us wanting to see the Bruins win a cup is going to help them accomplish that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I'm expecting more than they are giving at the moment.
I team that got bounced like they did, should come into the season with a determined purpose.

These guys are just cashing their checks, right now. I expected more than this.
Soft, soft, soft, soft, soft.....team, as Mayo says.
Zacha scored 57 and 59 points his first two years with the Bruins. Maybe is really a cross between that and his Devils career? Coyle scored 60 pts once last year. Maybe he isn't that guy. Geekie? Freddy? Marchand I'm guessing is a 60-70 pt guy now if they are lucky? Pasta should be Pasta. Lindholm in his 11 years went 80 pts (with Tkachuk and Huberdeau once) and 78 another year. The other 9 years he only scored 60 once. I dunno hoping it will change, it's early and the division appears to stink again.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Easy to say in retrospect, but would you really want to live through 7 seasons (after missing in 2015 and 2016) with losing teams? Many posters here are going nuts after 7 games, let alone 7 seasons.

Easy to say in retrospect? I mean, how else am I supposed to say it?

Even then, not sure why it's that outrageous. I would literally trade in seven seasons of making the playoffs with only one deep playoff run for a Cup win and a whole lot of whopping disappointment a few of those years.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I'm on the boards to discuss the Bruins and hockey in general And to piss & moan if need be.

I don't see how us wanting to see the Bruins win a cup is going to help them accomplish that.
Do you want them to win the Cup? Are you upset when they lose in a Game 6 or 7 of the SCF? If so then we agree. If not then discuss away anyway. Free countries.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I know as an amateur athlete and just how I conduct my professional life, hardware technology, I have a sense of urgency everyday. There is no urgency to this team/ early, late, should not make a difference. At least Swayman seems urgent on every shot.

I just expect them to play up to their capabilities. They are not.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Easy to say in retrospect? I mean, how else am I supposed to say it?

Even then, not sure why it's that outrageous. I would literally trade in seven seasons of making the playoffs with only one deep playoff run for a Cup win and a whole lot of whopping disappointment a few of those years.
Since 1970 the Bruins should have had at least 4 more cups, maybe 5. But for reasons to numerous to list it didn't happen. '71, '79, '19, '23 and maybe '74 or '13.

Reactions: EverettMike and BTO

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
They have won more than 7 games in the play-offs once in a decade. Like I said if you had no problem with the Sinden Bruins falling short of the ultimate prize I guess you're fine with this as well. I remember most fans being pissed off with Harry's 24 straight trips to the play-offs without a cup by the ten year mark. It seems at some point a lot of people went from being it's all about the cup to winning a cup is hard.
There is a difference between being disappointed in a lack of Cups and thinking the team is deliberately building teams to fail, like you are suggesting.

I hated the Sinden-era. They felt so close but would never spend what it took to get over the top. The Sweeney-era doesn't feel like that. They frequently get the big prize at the deadline or in free agency. They spend up to the cap and beyond (stashing NHL salaries in the minors). They've come up short which sucks and you can criticize them for roster composition or backing the wrong horses but I don't think you can say they aren't trying to win.

There is a reason the front office isn't ranked #1. On my ranking, the 4 teams I put ahead of the Bruins are ahead of them because they all won Cups. The Bruins are 5th because they have the most regular season wins and 5th most playoff wins in the last 5 years but no Cups. Dallas and Carolina are behind them at 6 and 7 with similar records (and a similar lack of Cups).

Reactions: BTO

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
There is a difference between being disappointed in a lack of Cups and thinking the team is deliberately building teams to fail, like you are suggesting.

I hated the Sinden-era. They felt so close but would never spend what it took to get over the top. The Sweeney-era doesn't feel like that. They frequently get the big prize at the deadline or in free agency. They spend up to the cap and beyond (stashing NHL salaries in the minors). They've come up short which sucks and you can criticize them for roster composition or backing the wrong horses but I don't think you can say they aren't trying to win.

There is a reason the front office isn't ranked #1. On my ranking, the 4 teams I put ahead of the Bruins are ahead of them because they all won Cups. The Bruins are 5th because they have the most regular season wins and 5th most playoff wins in the last 5 years but no Cups. Dallas and Carolina are behind them at 6 and 7 with similar records (and a similar lack of Cups).
I didn't mean to come across that way. My point is the owners are fine with one round won because always making the playoffs means always selling out in the regular season and that's whats important to them. That's why you will never see a rebuild and why they will always get stuck signing older guys and drafting low round 1 unless they deal those picks for immediate help for the current season.
I do think Sweeney is trying to win. He won't be judged on that though by the owners if he doesn't though, even though Charlie says thats what the end result should be, but there is no accountability for not winning a cup. Chia was fired one season after appearing in two cups and being the best team in the league in 2014. It's because they didn't make the playoffs that year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Do you want them to win the Cup? Are you upset when they lose in a Game 6 or 7 of the SCF? If so then we agree. If not then discuss away anyway. Free countries.
Yes, of course.

I get upset whenever they lose a series in the playoffs. That ends the season.

Doesn't mean I have to come on here and belabor the point every freakin' day for the next few decades. Especially when used as a means to downgrading the current situation.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Every person here wants more cups. At the end of the day many are essentially complaining that we are not as successful as 4 to 5 other teams over the past decade and a bit.

I understand where the older crowd of fans might have a bit more reason to be upset considering some might have only seen cup success for this team for the first time in a long time in 2011 and now we seem to be headed back to being a middling team.

Really I don't get why we all care how other people cheer for this team, not a shot at you or anyone else, but if someone wants to be miserable unless we win the cup or enjoy regular season success like a cup win, that's their perogative.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I didn't mean to come across that way. My point is the owners are fine with one round won because always making the playoffs means always selling out in the regular season and that's whats important to them. That's why you will never see a rebuild and why they will always get stuck signing older guys and drafting low round 1 unless they deal those picks for immediate help for the current season.
I do think Sweeney is trying to win. He won't be judged on that though by the owners if he doesn't though, even though Charlie says thats what the end result should be, but there is no accountability for not winning a cup. Chia was fired one season after appearing in two cups and being the best team in the league in 2014. It's because they didn't make the playoffs that year.

Do you think sports owners in general are more concerned with winning championships than selling out their building? I doubt it.

The thing is, winning a championship means a lot more money for the owner. Why settle for just making the playoffs? It makes no sense.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

There was no real free agency in the NHL until 1995.

Teams couldn't spend their way to titles. The Bruins had great teams in the Sinden era when the league had the 1970's Canadiens, early 1980's Islanders, followed by the 1980's Oilers. Three dynasties. And then Mario's Pens.

I really wish this bullshit story line would go away.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Do you think sports owners in general are more concerned with winning championships than selling out their building? I doubt it.

The thing is, winning a championship means a lot more money for the owner. Why settle for just making the playoffs? It makes no sense.
Thank you that's my point which is baffling to me why they fired the GM who won one in nine years, yet has one that hasn't in ten years, added to Sinden who was 0-28.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad