News Article: Bruins Front Office ranked top 5

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

It would probably be one if:

1. Monty python didn’t treat game 5 like a joke, or panic in game 6
2. Marchand scores on breakaway end of game 5 in 2019

Five is fine - Bruins defense (3 overall), and goaltending (4), keep the top five theme alive

I probably go

Florida
Tampa (TY covid)
Boston
Vegas
Dallas

Dallas like the SF 49ers have combined for 0.0 Championships the last 55 years- however, you’d think they both been winning regularly especially the 49ers

The comparison of the Bruins to the Atlanta Braves is dead on - they should have had 2 -3 more

The Dodgers have a 55-season (covid impacted) joke title in 35 years where key players in their division like Buster Posey opted out. It’s a half-assed title like the Tampa one (no Rask for instance)

Best teams I’ve seen didn’t win it in nhl:

Pittsburgh 2013
Tampa 2019
Boston 2022

Bruins really need one more asap

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Just for the record Dallas won the Cup in '99. Been knocking on the door for another for awhile but always coming up a bit short. Still very much in the mix to get one though, wouldn't mind at all if they did. Strong team that's good to watch.

I rate Tampa's Cups more highly. It took some real grit to tough it out in the bubble and go all the way, and they beat a solid if not amazing Stars team to do it. The Bruins by comparison had some bad luck in the bubble but even so they didn't handle it very well at all. My local rugby team also won a championship in 2020 in similar circumstances and we're very proud of that one because it took a smart and resilient team to make the most of things and win out in very strange times. 2021 was more lucky for the Bolts IMO, because the shortened season and reduced travel negated the usual post-Cup fatigue, then they wound up facing the wildly over-achieving Habs in the finals. But that was a great roster that was always destined to win multiple trophies as long as they fulfilled their potential. 2022 cemented their legacy for me in reaching the finals for a 3rd time, even though they ultimately lost.

Boston are a very competently run organization that's almost always a penny short. Super-consistent but prone to fumble when things get right to the pointy end and they have less meaningful silverware than they should. The flag has been lowered on the 2010s era and it is what it is, but in terms of management SweeNeely have not yet finished their chapter. Capable, sometimes exceeding expectations but overall slightly under-achieving so far. In the midst of a quite radical and hard-to-do re-tool and building of a new core on the fly, but we don't yet know just how well it will work out.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Just for the record Dallas won the Cup in '99. Been knocking on the door for another for awhile but always coming up a bit short. Still very much in the mix to get one though, wouldn't mind at all if they did. Strong team that's good to watch.

I rate Tampa's Cups more highly. It took some real grit to tough it out in the bubble and go all the way, and they beat a solid if not amazing Stars team to do it. The Bruins by comparison had some bad luck in the bubble but even so they didn't handle it very well at all. My local rugby team also won a championship in 2020 in similar circumstances and we're very proud of that one because it took a smart and resilient team to make the most of things and win out in very strange times. 2021 was more lucky for the Bolts IMO, because the shortened season and reduced travel negated the usual post-Cup fatigue, then they wound up facing the wildly over-achieving Habs in the finals. But that was a great roster that was always destined to win multiple trophies as long as they fulfilled their potential. 2022 cemented their legacy for me in reaching the finals for a 3rd time, even though they ultimately lost.

Boston are a very competently run organization that's almost always a penny short. Super-consistent but prone to fumble when things get right to the pointy end and they have less meaningful silverware than they should. The flag has been lowered on the 2010s era and it is what it is, but in terms of management SweeNeely have not yet finished their chapter. Capable, sometimes exceeding expectations but overall slightly under-achieving so far. In the midst of a quite radical and hard-to-do re-tool and building of a new core on the fly, but we don't yet know just how well it will work out.
Yeh 1999 is 25 years ago

49ers was 30 years ago

That’s how I got combined 55 years no championships

Dallas I got 5 which is good

My final is Bruins & Stars this season

Bruins in 6 here

Without Covid the Bolts draw Toronto round 1 with Hedman out for 6-8 weeks minimum, McDonagh banged up and admitted months later likely hobbled if could even play

Tampa was a mess in March 2020

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What a great Birthday present for Dr Quincy!
Dr Quincy birthday present was Leafs apologist James Mertle rating Korpi worst G contract in hockey (maybe so at 4 M but it’s only 3 M which is fine with me)

The Article hit Athletic this morning so Dave’s kids I’m sure will be getting no homework tonight to celebrate

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Yeh 1999 is 25 years ago

49ers was 30 years ago

That’s how I got combined 55 years no championships

Dallas I got 5 which is good

My final is Bruins & Stars this season

Bruins in 6 here

Without Covid the Bolts draw Toronto round 1 with Hedman out for 6-8 weeks minimum, McDonagh banged up and admitted months later likely hobbled if could even play

Tampa was a mess in March 2020

It's true Tampa caught a break with the timing of the stoppage, but then injuries are also luck anyway. They had bad luck on that front followed by something that worked in their favor. End of the day they were clearly very strong when fully fit and they did the job when they needed to. Best team won, zero complaints from me. I don't believe in placing an asterisk on titles or anything like that.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It's true Tampa caught a break with the timing of the stoppage, but then injuries are also luck anyway. They had bad luck on that front followed by something that worked in their favor. End of the day they were clearly very strong when fully fit and they did the job when they needed to. Best team won, zero complaints from me. I don't believe in placing an asterisk on titles or anything like that.
I’m solidly in the camp no Covid they are toast likely in round one

If Toronto doesn’t get them, Boston does imo

We can disagree it’s what sports talk all about

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Virtually every team that wins the Cup catches a break or two along the way.

I'm with you, a championship is a championship. Can't rewrite history.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Dallas should not be #1. Also all teams are not created equal IMO. Some rebuild, some are the Caps or Pens and some go for the cup every year. Bruins go for the cup every year and have no cups wins Same for Dallas. I like the Braves analogy and you hope at some point just always being in the playoffs results in a title, kind of like the Yankees this year. Bruins had an easy trip in '19 and the players choking really cost the GM a championship.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
The author pointed out that the Bruins may have been ranked higher if this poll wasn’t conducted during the Swayman media circus. Probably true. But more to the point, they probably would have been even higher if the poll was conducted before the summer, meaning before the disastrous handling of the Ullmark trade (somehow taking back the worst goalie contract in the league from that deal) and signing the E Lindholm and Zadorov deals that will help the team over the next few years but look really bad as those guys hit their deep regression years over the back half of those deals.

Overall, though, this team has been highly competitive for most of 15 years and should remain so for a few more. That’s pretty remarkable and I tip my cap.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The author pointed out that the Bruins may have been ranked higher if this poll wasn’t conducted during the Swayman media circus. Probably true. But more to the point, they probably would have been even higher if the poll was conducted before the summer, meaning before the disastrous handling of the Ullmark trade (somehow taking back the worst goalie contract in the league from that deal) and signing the E Lindholm and Zadorov deals that will help the team over the next few years but look really bad as those guys hit their deep regression years over the back half of those deals.

Overall, though, this team has been highly competitive for most of 15 years and should remain so for a few more. That’s pretty remarkable and I tip my cap.
Maybe senior team executives didn't look at those things the way fans do? And it would have been hard to be higher given who was ranked above them.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Well deserved. This team has been really good for a really long time. The core has aged out and been replaced twice now with out being a losing team.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad