Boston Globe Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs on the state of the franchise: ‘We measure success in Stanley Cups’

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
1719440928149.jpeg

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Personally, all I want is a terrible on ice product while the team consistently exploits LTIR to pay out way over the cap threshold.

More seriously, the only poster/mod we've got that's even remotely close to Charlie Jacobs has said for years that they want to get Jeremy a Cup before he moves on to sell some dogs in the afterlife.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Personally, all I want is a terrible on ice product while the team consistently exploits LTIR to pay out way over the cap threshold.

More seriously, the only poster/mod we've got that's even remotely close to Charlie Jacobs has said for years that they want to get Jeremy a Cup before he moves on to sell some dogs in the afterlife.

I’ve got plenty of issues with how the Jacobs family runs their business in terms of fan satisfaction.

That being said, in this present totally rigged business (in which “competitors” are legally allowed to collaborate with one another to limit financial competition), I don’t see ownership doing anything that suggests they don’t want to win.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
One thing I'll never really get used to in following any major league American sports team - that any franchise is essentially just the personal property/hobby of a few rich folks and as fans we can simply watch and support what they dish up, or not. It is what it is but there's a coldness and detachment to it that's a little off-putting.

Who owns sports franchises in Australia?

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
I’ve got plenty of issues with how the Jacobs family runs their business in terms of fan satisfaction.

That being said, in this present totally rigged business (in which “competitors” are legally allowed to collaborate with one another to limit financial competition), I don’t see ownership doing anything that suggests they don’t want to win.
Thus, why I was surprised by the seeming lockstep reaction here for that one quote.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Who owns sports franchises in Australia?

It varies. In the two biggest sporting leagues, there are a mix of member-owned clubs (about two thirds of the total) and privately owned ones. The private ones are largely the same as US teams. Owners have total control, appoint the board, chairperson etc. At most the club members might retain some sort of right to speak or petition at annual or special club meetings.

But the member-owned ones are administered by a public or incorporated company that technically acts on the members behalf. The appointed board and CEO manage the club on behalf of its members. In practice the ability of the members to impact club decisions is limited, but it is possible for a large quorum of members to get together and demand that the board change or resign, and if the club were looking to go private, it would need member approval. And it does happen, albeit very infrequently. What is nice is members have the full right to attend at club AGMs and the like and make their voices heard.

Reality is most of the time the club bosses still largely do what they like, but the sense of old-fashioned collective ownership and ability to have a say is good. While it lasts.

Reactions: Fenway and BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

If success is only measured in Stanley Cups then why is this management still here? Why have they only had 4 GM in 52 years resulting on one cup win? Where is the accountability?

Reactions: KWbruin

BlackFrancis

Dec 14, 2013
If success is only measured in Stanley Cups then why is this management still here? Why have they only had 4 GM in 52 years resulting on one cup win? Where is the accountability?
That's a fair question, except for missing Jacobs owning the team since 1975 and, thus, the period being 49 years. There are probably a lot of answers.

Charlie Jacobs has been CEO for a bit over 20 years now. I don't think he's talking about their corporate measurements for the team executives prior to then. The rest of the front office was hired long after Charlie got his appointment, except for Dean Malkoc and Tom McVie, who might be 200 year old vampires.

As for Charlie keeping his minions accountable, well, after taking the President of Kicking Chiarelli's Ass position after the reverse sweep, he's been there for one Cup, two Cup losses, two missed playoffs and a historic regular season that completely farted out. That's better results than just about anyone else the franchise has hired. I know there are posters here who think he's a prick for being snide during the Tavares circus, but that's a big raspberry for any right thinking person, if you ask me. 15 years and he's replaced one GM and the club hasn't imploded. He gets one more before you put his feet to the fire.

Sweeney, uh. I've defended him a lot more than not over the past 3-4 years, to my continued horror. Every move is either excellent or terrible - the guy just can't keep things in the middle lane. I think if Jeremy dies without his Cup, Sweeney's filling a metaphorical coffin right behind him. NHL GMs are so routinely awful, there has to be a He-Hasn't-Killed-Us-Yet shield blocking instant accountability.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
That's a fair question, except for missing Jacobs owning the team since 1975 and, thus, the period being 49 years. There are probably a lot of answers.

Charlie Jacobs has been CEO for a bit over 20 years now. I don't think he's talking about their corporate measurements for the team executives prior to then. The rest of the front office was hired long after Charlie got his appointment, except for Dean Malkoc and Tom McVie, who might be 200 year old vampires.

As for Charlie keeping his minions accountable, well, after taking the President of Kicking Chiarelli's Ass position after the reverse sweep, he's been there for one Cup, two Cup losses, two missed playoffs and a historic regular season that completely farted out. That's better results than just about anyone else the franchise has hired. I know there are posters here who think he's a prick for being snide during the Tavares circus, but that's a big raspberry for any right thinking person, if you ask me. 15 years and he's replaced one GM and the club hasn't imploded. He gets one more before you put his feet to the fire.

Sweeney, uh. I've defended him a lot more than not over the past 3-4 years, to my continued horror. Every move is either excellent or terrible - the guy just can't keep things in the middle lane. I think if Jeremy dies without his Cup, Sweeney's filling a metaphorical coffin right behind him. NHL GMs are so routinely awful, there has to be a He-Hasn't-Killed-Us-Yet shield blocking instant accountability.
great response thank you.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad